SASS Wire Forum

Triple 7 Crud?

Crusty Knees

I'm new at this.  I'm not a black powder shooter.  But, I tried some Triple 7, just for the heck of it.  (it was on clearance sale, cheap.)

After shooting some .45 in practice Sunday, I tossed the used brass cases in a jar with soapy water, (dawn), like I've seen you guys do.

I layed them out to dry last night and I've got this blue-green crud in the cases and around the case lips.

This stuff is hard to get out.  What did I do wrong?  (besides not using real black powder... yeah I know.)

Any Triple 7 users out there come across this?

Thanks,

CK

I rinse several times with clear water after the initial washing.  It helps.  BTW, Triple Seven is pretty hot powder for a 45.  Not so bad in a 38.  APP is less zippy but equally corrosive on brass.

What little I have shot BP and 777 in particular I have always dumped the fired brass into Windex upon return to the cart. never had much crud build up. Let them dry then run in the tumbler and you are good to go again.

Imis

9 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

What little I have shot BP and 777 in particular I have always dumped the fired brass into Windex upon return to the cart. never had much crud build up. Let them dry then run in the tumbler and you are good to go again.

Imis

Plain Windex, or Windex with Ammonia?  August said a little bit of acid.  Windex with Vinegar?

47 minutes ago, Dutch Bullwhip said:

But you have to shake them a bit for a few minutes and than just let them dry .

That should be enough. I use a bit dishwasher in it , never fails.

My dishwasher won't fit in my cases... but tiny bit of dishwasher "soap" does... ;)

I have two methods for cleaning brass, both involve leaving the brass dry until after I deprime.

If I'm using my dry tumbler with corncob media I deprime them on a universal decapping die, and throw into hot soapy water.  I then hand wash out each piece as though I was rinsing out a cup, this step really gets rid of most of the crud.  I then either allow the brass to air dry or in cooler weather I might dry it on 200* in the oven.  Once dry I tumble the brass to remove any remaining residue. 

My preferred method is with my wet tumbler and stainless steel pins.  Deprime and simply throw into the tumbler with warm soapy water.  After about an hour I change out the dirty water.  Another 15-20 mins of tumbling and then change the water again.  Once dry the brass looks better than new.

I tried triple 7 once and did not have the issue with build up. I carry a jug of Simple Green and water on my gun cart and after unloading my revolvers put the used brass in the solution. On my trip back home the bottle agitates the brass enough so when I get home I just rinse the brass a couple of times, lay out overnight and put in tumbler for about three hours  and they are clean and shiny. I shoot real black most of the time but using APP I get the same results. I think the two plus hour trip home helps the cleaning process. The brass shooting Black MZ was good but the revolver was really dirty.  I try to stay away from the subs but if I run low on real black I will use APP first and then Black MZ.

4 hours ago, Crusty Knees said:

Plain Windex, or Windex with Ammonia?  August said a little bit of acid.  Windex with Vinegar?

W w V would be my choice always.  Use it a lot in cleaning for BP.

5 hours ago, Crusty Knees said:

I used the Windex with vinegar. And I did not let the brass set in it after I got home. It The brass rode home in the solution so it was well agitated, then well rinsed and repeated. By the time it was dry and in the tumbler it was well cleaned. Others here have immensely more experience with BP than I do.

Imis

Agitation and rinsing are the most important part. I've found 777 cleans up fine with just hot water. If you must use an additive, dishwashing soap is fine.

If you use vinegar, empty and rinse the cases before the day is out. Otherwise it turns them to a pewter color after a few days. I forgot to empty a jug of cases once! I've not used a vinegar solutions since.

I throw them in a bag after each stage... Dry.

They sit around for a few weeks... Many weeks... Start looking real ugly.

Throw them in wet tumbler... Then in my fancy rinse and dry tumbling device...

Done

Archived