SASS Wire Forum

Georgia Arms...

Croc Holiday

Was looking online for .38 ammo.  I see I can get 500 rounds from Georgia Arms for $130 ($.26 per round).  Sounds like a pretty good deal.  Has anyone dealt with them before?  Are they legit or junk.  Any other recommendations?  I know a few local folks reload and I plan to hit them up at the next match.

OLG....  I know, I know.... reloading is cheaper.  But, I gotta reload the coffers first haha.  Besides, at least I’ll get brass from it for when I reload my own.

I bought a 1,000rnd “canned heat” box of their 125g round nose flat .38spl cowboy loads. So far it’s been extremely consistent with no light primer strikes or case splits. Ran great through my 1873 as well. 

As as far as I can tell Highly Recommend 

To anyone not yet reloading they are a great option as they give discounts if you send in your old brass. 

Bet that price does NOT include S&H to your place.

You can reload .38, for about 1/3 of that price.

BTW-Figure you're gonna use 20rnds per stage........X 5 stages=100rnds.

The sooner you start reloading, the faster you save up.

Good luck,

OLG

48 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bet that price does NOT include S&H to your place.

You can reload .38, for about 1/3 of that price.

BTW-Figure you're gonna use 20rnds per stage........X 5 stages=100rnds.

The sooner you start reloading, the faster you save up.

Good luck,

OLG

1000rnds 3 day priority shipped in a metal USGI ammo can, came out to be 26 cents a round for me, back when I purchased. I see their shipping has increased slightly though now. Putting it closer 27.4 cents I do agree reloading is the way obviously. Figured I’d give them a try and reload the brass afterwards. 

3 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Was looking online for .38 ammo.  I see I can get 500 rounds from Georgia Arms for $130 ($.26 per round).  Sounds like a pretty good deal.  Has anyone dealt with them before?  Are they legit or junk.  Any other recommendations?  I know a few local folks reload and I plan to hit them up at the next match.

OLG....  I know, I know.... reloading is cheaper.  But, I gotta reload the coffers first haha.  Besides, at least I’ll get brass from it for when I reload my own.

500 rounds is 4 days of shooting.

You'll need more ammo!

Great company to deal with! Family owned and just "good ole boys". I used to deal with them and belonged to their "shooting club" in Villa Rica when I lived next door in Carroltton. They are very serious about their business and I have continued to buy from them when they come to the local gun shows here in SoFlo and save the shipping.

4 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

500 rounds is 4 days of shooting.

You'll need more ammo!

For sure.  That’d get me 1 1/2 months.  I may end up getting 1000.

4 hours ago, Barbatos said:

1000rnds 3 day priority shipped in a metal USGI ammo can, came out to be 26 cents a round for me, back when I purchased. I see their shipping has increased slightly though now. Putting it closer 27.4 cents I do agree reloading is the way obviously. Figured I’d give them a try and reload the brass afterwards. 

That’s my plan.  What was their turn around time like?

I helped out a former CAS shooter that is having to move into an adult retirement community and bought several thousands of Georgia Arms ammo. It is all first rate and very consistant.

As pointed out reloading is the way to go. A $500.00 invenstment in reloading equipment and supplies will pay for its self with the money saved after loading only 3500 rounds. 

When I started Cowboy shooting, I did exactly the same thing.  I bought 38 spl from Georgia Arms and Ammo at the gun shows until I was committed enough to justify my own reloading equipment.  Georgia Arms makes good stuff and I still use the ammo cans I got from them to store my own reloads.

I have never heard anything negative about GA Arms ammo. At one time they very prevalent in the CAS world and sponsored several good shooters. There are a lot more folks on the fence about buying vs. reloading their own. For many it is a cost vs. time issue. In the upcoming months I will be launching a line of affordable cowboy ammo in both re-man and new brass and have several; regular CAS shooters waiting for the launch that all have very capable reloading setups. If I could get a load actually suited for our game and my needs and I would buy in a heartbeat. I don't reload to save money, I reload so I can shoot more. 

Aside from the press, dies, and other equipment, the next most expensive part of reloading is the brass.  This isn't a bad way to accumulate some brass before getting the press.  But I'd suggest you start with 2000 rounds, just for the brass.  Once fired 38 brass is around $100 per 1000 + shipping.

9 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

This is exactly what I did when I started out.  Ammo worked fine for me!

Used them years ago before I started rolling my own, only rolled my own cause I went to the darkside (they had cookies.....), if I was to go back to smokeless full time, I'd go back to them.  Reloading gets on my nerves.

10 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Once you get your reloading gear look for once-fired, 38 special brass on online, firearm auction sites.  Buy enough to fill a USPS, flat-rate box.  You should not pay more than a nickle a case.  I got my last batch for three cents as case. 

Be very careful about using other shooter's reloads.  Read the thread regarding guns blown up at SASS matches.  It is sobering.

10 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

"I know a few local folks reload and I plan to hit them up at the next match."

Just a note about buying reloads from folks who "roll their own", and are not Federally Licensed and Insured...

Commercially reloaded ammunition is pretty common. Those who choose to be in that business had better be well insured against product liability claims. 

We who reload for our own personal use do so at our own risk of course as there's an element of hazard associated with the practice.

The golden rule of reloading is that what's safe in my hardware might be unsafe in yours.
That being the case I'd be unlikely to sell you ammo I'd loaded. 

Have I ever had a squib round?  Yes.  I've just never fired the next round while the previous bullet was suspected of being in the barrel.

Have people blown up their guns because of double charges, or firing into a squib? Yes.

So no, I don't use someone else's reloads, unless they are truly in the business of making ammo, like We the People Munitions or Georgia Arms, etc.

... the quick answer is for those who reload and are thinking of selling it to your buddies... You need a federal license to remanufacture ammo for sale,

and you are an idiot if you do it without insurance.  If there is a problem, no matter who's fault it is, YOU will be sued and YOU will lose...

I will never sell any of my reloads-it's illegal for me to do such.

I have giving folks a box or two over the years, when they ran low.

If you're use'n one of our guns-You WILL use our reloads or you don't use our guns.

OLG

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I will never sell any of my reloads-it's illegal for me to do such.

I have giving folks a box or two over the years, when they ran low.

If you're use'n one of our guns-You WILL use our reloads or you don't use our guns.

OLG

Yep, I had a partner ask to borrow my rifle a few months ago and I said sure, here's the ammo to go with it.  He shot a stage then asked why he needed to use my ammo.  I noticed on the next stage he was using someone else's rifle.:huh:

Hoss, I would buy at least 1,000 rounds from GA.  500 isn't enough, that's not quite one month of matches for one person.  Once you start reloading if you have any difficulties or equipment issues you'll be at the mercy of whoever is sending you parts.  I try to keep 6,000 loaded rounds on hand at all times and the makings for another 20,000.  My 650 threw a shoe last weekend and I'm waiting on a spring right now luckily I have about 6,500 rounds of .38 and 2,000 of .32 loaded.  But then, I'm a bit OCD.

You just missed a free shipping special from Georgia Arms. Sign up for their newsletter and watch for their next shipping deal. I use the 125 gr. 38 specials, $250 for 1000 rounds.  I have found I cannot beat their price even with shipping. No issues with quality and turnaround is quick.

Yes I know reloading will be much less expensive but that is not for me right now. I am working full time and have a house full with no place to work in peace.

I used Georgia Arms when I first came back out of Cowboy retirement earlier in 2018.  I just started shooting .38's and needed some ammo. Never had a issue with them at all.  Great customer service over the phone as well.  The only thing I'd note personally is though they are loaded within cowboy spec I found them to be a little on the hotter side  (and for reference we don't load super light with out cowboy loads).  Once we got setup to load .38's I started purchasing my supply from Scarlett (a great cowgirl I've had the pleasure to posse with multiple times).  She also offers loaded ready to fire ammo.  Maybe give her a look as well (Bullets by Scarlett)

I know everybody is urging you to buy 1,000s, but I think that you need to try 100-200 first to make sure they cycle reliably through your rifle. I know this first-hand. Georgia Arms makes first-rate ammo, but I ended up with 500 that wouldn't feed in my 92.

26 minutes ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

I know everybody is urging you to buy 1,000s, but I think that you need to try 100-200 first to make sure they cycle reliably through your rifle. I know this first-hand. Georgia Arms makes first-rate ammo, but I ended up with 500 that wouldn't feed in my 92.

Interesting.  Both my pistols and rifle are .357.  I didn't figure I'd have an issue with cycling since .38 is shorter.  Thoughts on this?

Just now, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Interesting.  Both my pistols and rifle are .357.  I didn't figure I'd have an issue with cycling since .38 is shorter.  Thoughts on this?

My Uberti Win 66 & 73 both cycled the GA ammo fine.  some Marlins and 92s may like a certain length.  As many others have said, GA is good stuff. I probably bought 2K from them before I started reloading. 

2 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Never assume......

Not uncommon for .357 chambered rifles to have feed issues with shorter ammo.

Also-You want either round nose flat point or truncated cone in bullet shape.

Stay away from any type of 'semi-wadcutter' bullet profile.

Call these folks, and speak to a warm body...........

OLG

3 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Some rifles are ammo picky when it comes to overall bullet length and wont like the shorter 38's.  So you might find you need to lengthen them either by changing how you crimp to load them a little longer overall or some people even load their rifle rounds with 357 brass (If you're loading your own that is).  However,  other rifles will feed the shorter 38's no problem at all.  You wont really know until you cycle some in yours and see what it likes.  Either way don't let that scare you its an easy fix or you may not even have to worry at all.   Georgia Arms and some other places that sell Cowboy spec ammo offer 38 or 357 brass cowboy loads (of course the 357 costing a good bit more) but options are there if needed.

18 minutes ago, Hoss said:

My Uberti Win 66 & 73 both cycled the GA ammo fine.

That's what I have (73 Uberti).  It's worked fine with other .38 so far.  What flavor GA ammo did you get?  Maybe I'll nab that.

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Yadda some other stuff....

I try to keep 6,000 loaded rounds on hand at all times and the makings for another 20,000.  My 650 threw a shoe last weekend and I'm waiting on a spring right now luckily I have about 6,500 rounds of .38 and 2,000 of .32 loaded.  But then, I'm a bit OCD.

I wouldn't call ya OCD pard.....I would say that you are light weight though! You keep the makings for only 20,000 rounds?  What if the sky falls! :lol:;)

Kajun

31 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

I wouldn't call ya OCD pard.....I would say that you are light weight though! You keep the makings for only 20,000 rounds?  What if the sky falls! :lol:;)

Kajun

You make a good point! I will point out that when my fixens hit 20K I buy more. Right now I’m at about 30K. I’m down to about 4 cases of featherlites so time to buy more of those!

24 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You make a good point! I will point out that when my fixens hit 20K I buy more. Right now I’m at about 30K. I’m down to about 4 cases of featherlites so time to buy more of those!

WOW-When did ya start slack'n off like this? :lol:

Ya got folks worried now.........:P

OLG

I've never noticed any sky cracks but I have found every time I get everything loaded up to a couple of thousand round is when I get the overwhelming urge to try something new. You know, a half a grain more powder or maybe a 130gr instead of 125gr or even (gasp) a 110gr bullet.  My latest fiasco was deciding that I should change to smokeless powder in everything.  8 months later I had to "shoot up" a couple of thousand rounds of that yucky stuff so I could free up my brass for real gunpowder.

Don't get overly invested in something until you are sure you have what you want.

Archived