SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Customer Service - Turn around time

Gila Gus

Good Morning!

Just got into  the Cowboy Action Shooting world. I added a new Cimarron Evil Roy to balance my Uberti Cattleman.   It had a light primer strike on 2 out of 5 rounds during the 8 or 9 times we attempted to fire it.   I'm certain that it will be taken care of at the factory.   According to the Cimarron FAQ's it looks like it can be 60 days or so for the gun to be repaired.  I'm certain that it will be taken care of, but I was wondering if anyone had real-life experiences with turnaround times.   

Thanks!

I'm certain that it will be taken care of at the factory. 

Well, I'm certain it will be taken care of by the gunsmith retained by Cimarron, which is an importer, not a factory.

Good luck with the repair, but if you want the gun in a week or two, see a good cowboy gunsmith close to you and get it fixed quickly, and probably springs and action tuned at the same time!

(The time table you were quoted even sounds optimistic from what I have heard about your importer.)

Good luck, GJ

Yep.  Just to pile on with Garrison Joe.  Your gun is NOT going to "The Factory."  It's going back to Cimarron, the importer.  Cimarron employs a local (contracted) Gunsmith for warranty repair work.  60 days for turnaround may or may not be optimistic.  I suggest  patience.  Lots of Patients.

Lump Lump, ...... really???  Gonna learn to trouble shoot and fix the Single Action Revolver is just a few ...... weeks??  Months??  I don't think so.

Welcome to the game and sorry to hear that your new gun doesn’t work right.  Unfortunately my experience with most SASS guns is they aren’t quite ready for SASS when you first get them.  Just out of curiosity, does your Cimarron have the new 3-click “safety” hammer or the older 4-click?

I had a problem with a brand new Cimarron, called the place I got it from, they gave me a number for Cimarron, I called them and they gave me a number and email for their warranty service "department"... turns out it's a one-man operation, so "it might take awhile for him to reply". That was three months ago in October. No return call and no return emails as yet.

If you want to try your luck, the email is: cimarronrepairs@rhcustomguns.com

I thought about taking it to the local gunsmith, but was a bit aggravated that it didn't work!  Factory was a bad choice of words, I suppose.   We hadn't used any reloads, I'm just starting to get into reloading the 45 colt.   I have a Cimarron 1858 Conversion that I dearly love, so it didn't occur to me on that on this firearm we'd have a problem.  Luckily, the club here stepped in to help me and my son out,  he got to shoot some very nice well tuned Vaquero's, courtesy of one of our mentors!  I like to think that's why he did better then me...

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Lump Lump, ...... really???  Gonna learn to trouble shoot and fix the Single Action Revolver is just a few ...... weeks??  Months??  I don't think so.

They got to be easy to learn. If the both of us can do it-:P

OLG

I tried to deal with Cimarron on a warranty issue once ! 

( what a joke ) 

The guy ( Joe ) I think ?

Cant remember his name .

Dont return calls very well at all.

When you do talk to him .

He is very Negative about the whole thing .

I voided my warranty and sent them to a Cowboy Gunsmith and fixed the Factory Issue and Tuned the guns at the same time .

Had my guns back in about three weeks .

Cimarron is a importer and the warranty gunsmith is a guy they use down the road from them .

Like I said already 

( THEY ARE A JOKE )

Rooster 

Gila,

Lots of good advise above.  With Rugers, you can drop in an inexpensive spring kit and you're ready to go.  You can go further with short stroking and changing hammers, but that's not necessary to start.  Another bonus is that they're built like a tank and rarely break down.

With every Colt clone I have purchased (Pietta or Uberti), they immediately go to my local Cowboy gunsmith for tuning.  Fortunately we have a great local gunsmith (Curly Bill Kelly) who does excellent work.

I can't see from your profile where you reside, but you could check with your local club members if there are any good cowboy gunsmiths in your area.  If that doesn't pan out, many of us could point you in the direction of a nationally known smith who is close to you.  

The wife and I have multiple sets of Rugers, but I like a Colt style pistol the best.  Even my newly acquired real 2nd Gen Colts had to spend time with my gunsmith to get them ready for competition.  Unfortunately, what is common knowledge among veteran shooters doesn't always get communicated to new shooters.  Your Ubertis are good guns, but like a Uberti 1866 or 1873 rifle, they run the best after they have been tuned by a knowledgeable cowboy gunsmith.      

It's been several years back that I sent a 5 year old pistol to their 3rd party Smith.  As I recall in was 3 months and I didn't not receive notice that their Smith had received it or when it was on it's way back to me.  When I called the Smith he said his was sure it was there somewhere he was too busy to look for it.  I should have sent it "signature required".  Gun was returned, fixed to my satisfaction and at no charge.

Okay, hold up a bit!

Aren't Cimarron Evil Roy's tuned by a gunsmith after coming from the factory and have lightened hammer and trigger springs put in just for CAS shooting? Lots of CAS guns are tuned so light they only work with certain primers. Maybe you should try some ammo with federal primers before sending it in. If they work fine, it may be worth reloading with federals to keep your hammer as light as possible. 

1 hour ago, Chicken George* said:

Okay, hold up a bit!

Aren't Cimarron Evil Roy's tuned by a gunsmith after coming from the factory and have lightened hammer and trigger springs put in just for CAS shooting? Lots of CAS guns are tuned so light they only work with certain primers. Maybe you should try some ammo with federal primers before sending it in. If they work fine, it may be worth reloading with federals to keep your hammer as light as possible. 

Evil Roys have a mainspring that is not overly light.  It "should" pop any primer.  I don't know about now, but they used to put a small washer under the main spring.  If one needed a bit more hammer power, that washer could be removed.  I would check for that for sure before sending the gun back.  Also, I recall some years ago when Longhunter was doing some of the ER action jobs, and some of the mainsprings did not get tightened properly and came loose.  Again, this was very easy to see by just taking off the backstrap.

Buy box stock, send em to a smith of your choice.  His name and reputation are on the gun's unlike the third party smith behind the name of the importer.  Depending on what ya have done you probably won't spend much if any more, and you'll have what ya paid for.

Good Morning!  I was contacted by a gentleman from Cimarron yesterday afternoon.   We talked over the problem.  I probably should have called Cimarron first, rather than sending it back through Sportsman's Warehouse.  If I had contacted Cimarron first, it would have sped the process up.  Nothing against Sportsman's Warehouse, but it just adds another entity into the mix.  I was glad to get the phone call, it was nice to talk to someone and explain what happened.     

Archived