SASS Wire Forum

Garrison Keillor’s writing...

I don’t always agree with Mr. Keillor’s politics, but he seems like a good mensch who I could be genuine friends with if we lived in the same town.

Since the end of Prairie Home Companion, I’ve started following his writing on a regular basis.  He is funny, insightful, and mostly upbeat on the human condition, which is something I’ve desperately needed as of late.

Here’s a piece from today.  I hope you enjoy.

http://www.garrisonkeillor.com/life-is-good-unless-you-get-on-the-wrong-train/

24 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I don’t always agree with Mr. Keillor’s politics, but he seems like a good mensch who I could be genuine friends with if we lived in the same town.

I agree.

I've enjoyed him immensely . . . . . and I miss the "Prairie Home"  . . . I think he got a very raw deal . . . . along with a lot of others . . . being judge on current standards for past behavior . . . . The "Prairie Home Movie" is wonderful . . . I watch it about once a year. . . . . . :)

2 hours ago, Jackson Rose, SASS #45478 said:

I'm disappointed to learn he lives in New York. What happened to Lake Woebegone?

I thought he lived in Minneapolis?

1 hour ago, Wolfgang, SASS #53480 said:

I've enjoyed him immensely . . . . . and I miss the "Prairie Home"  . . . I think he got a very raw deal . . . . along with a lot of others . . . being judge on current standards for past behavior . . . . The "Prairie Home Movie" is wonderful . . . I watch it about once a year. . . . . . :)

I’m completely with you that he got a raw deal durin the hysteria around Harvey Weinstein. 

I loved his classy response...

“I’ve been fired over a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard.  Most stories are. It’s some sort of poetic irony to be knocked off the air by a story, having told so many of them myself, but I’m 75 and don’t have any interest in arguing about this. And I cannot in conscience bring danger to a great organization I’ve worked hard for since 1969.

“I am sorry for all the poets whose work I won’t be reading on the radio and sorry for the people who will lose work on account of this. But my profound feeling is that of gratitude, especially to my wife Jenny, and for this painful experience that has brought us even closer together.”

Always enjoyed A Prairie Home Companion. Saw a live performance a few years ago in Kansas City. Mr. Keillor is a very funny and entertaining man.

Irish Tom

He had a long-ago Prairie Home piece called, as I remember, Norwegian Bachelor Farmer. About lonely old Minnesota scandahoovian farmers who toiled and tilled, but never married or had families.

I had a senior partner in law practice who has been dead going on 30 years now. He was from North Dakota and knew a lot of old men like that. Keillor's piece would bring tears to his eyes.

I hope the low cowards who took him off the air pay a price somehow, sometime, somewhere.

Joe Biden can do an unintentional duplication of his voice.

Archived