SASS Wire Forum

45/70 Rolling Block

northman

I'm selling my 45/70 Rolling Block rifle. It has a 28 inch Numerich octagon bull barrel that measures 1 1/8 inch across the flats and is equipped with a Lyman 53 CS peep sight. It was mostly used for target shooting and has taken a few deer over the years when eyes were younger. It kicks about the same as a .22 as it weights about 12 pounds.

The wood on it is nice with no cracks. Bluing is thinning on the  receiver but very good on the barrel. The Bore is excellent s it was shot mostly with cast bullets. The receiver is dated 1880 so it can be shipped as an antique.

Now for the clincher, a few years ago the rifle was dropped and the lever on the block was knocked off. I still have the lever but never got around to having it repaired. You can still open the Block without the lever, just nicer having it on. I'll take 400.00 for it and split the shipping charges if anyone is interested. Thanks. Pards! 

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

If they fall through I would like it.

Do not replace the thumbpiece.  Smooth off the break and make a side lever.  Easy to do and cool to boot!

No.  Something different.  Just chuck the busted one. Have someone drill into the retaining pin for reverse threads. That way it does not unscrew when you push down on lever. I think you can buy a lever or modify something.  It is a Gove side lever.  Frontier modification.

side lever.jpg

13 hours ago, Ivery Keys #11974 said:

Wow, Dusty, I have admired many of your offerings, but this is one unique action...

Regards,

Ivery

I wish it was mine.  I just pulled that off the interweb.:lol:

19 hours ago, Dusty Morningwood said:

No.  Something different.  Just chuck the busted one. Have someone drill into the retaining pin for reverse threads. That way it does not unscrew when you push down on lever. I think you can buy a lever or modify something.  It is a Gove side lever.  Frontier modification.

side lever.jpg

Use a key way or non-round shaft then you will not have to have a LH thread screw.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Use a key way or non-round shaft then you will not have to have a LH thread screw.

That is the usual way, actually.  seems like Trainwreck Paddy may have the skills to fabricate new keyed pin and lever.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:14 AM, Percy Hallen Sass #1379 said:

Accurate barrel. 

Hello #1,  #10 here. Long time no see. 

4 hours ago, Trainwreck Paddy said:

Is the pivot pin attached to the block or does the block pivot on a stationary pin? Already started designing a lever.

Google "Grove Side Lever".  There are books that describe how to modify the action so that the lever moves both the Hammer and Breach block. There are a couple of different ways to make it work.

"Gove" Side Lever.  Otherwise, he will end up in an orange orchard!

Archived