SASS Wire Forum

Attended Cowboy Action Shooting Overview - Looking for Starter advice

Tubby Butterman

My plan is to shoot a few more before I buy.  I think I’ve narrowed the rifle down to an 1873 in .44-40.  I want to try both smokeless and black powder.  Leaning toward the Miroku Winchester.

looking at the SASS pair of stainless Ruger New Vaqueros in .45.  I like the stainless.

I kinda want the pistols in the same caliber as the rifle and it looks like there’s some made in .44-40.  None in stainless, but I do like the case hardened look.

i found myself looking at cap and ball revolvers as well.  My old gun infection is getting worse.

57 minutes ago, Tubby Butterman said:

My plan is to shoot a few more before I buy.  I think I’ve narrowed the rifle down to an 1873 in .44-40.  I want to try both smokeless and black powder.  Leaning toward the Miroku Winchester.

looking at the SASS pair of stainless Ruger New Vaqueros in .45.  I like the stainless.

I kinda want the pistols in the same caliber as the rifle and it looks like there’s some made in .44-40.  None in stainless, but I do like the case hardened look.

i found myself looking at cap and ball revolvers as well.  My old gun infection is getting worse.

I just bought a pair of stainless vaqueros in 45 LC----got the first one out of California purgatory last weekend and love it.   Same cal as my 1873 riffle and am happy with both.  The only thing about  the Vaqueros I'd like to change is the size of the grips--might help the handling of them.   But again---I am a 1911 whore so I just have to get used to shooting revolvers.  

As far as Ruger NM Vaqueros in 44-40...do some more research. It seems there was a problem with the size of the barrels vs size of round...caused some problems. I am not sure that they solved it, but if you must go that way...45 colt!

BTW Mary-Ann of course. Ginger is pretty and apt to run off! Sure Mary Ann my also run off...but you would not feel as bad !!! LOL(don't follow in July Jones' footsteps)

3 minutes ago, Poet Jones 99980 said:

As far as Ruger NM Vaqueros in 44-40...do some more research. It seems there was a problem with the size of the barrels vs size of round...caused some problems. I am not sure that they solved it, but if you must go that way...45 colt!

BTW Mary-Ann of course. Ginger is pretty and apt to run off! Sure Mary Ann my also run off...but you would not feel as bad !!! LOL(don't follow in July Jones' footsteps)

The problem was with the cylinders, the chambers were cut smaller than the bore.

Nothing wrong with 45 revolvers and 44-40 rifles, just use a little extra care at the loading table or shoot Cowboy 45 Specials in your revolvers :D

Whatever caliber you settle on all depends on whether you shoot smokeless or BP. If BP go with .44-40, if smokeless go with .45's or better yet .38's!!

• 1 month later...

Update:

I returned from Florida and now have some additional guns from my great grandfather including a M1877 Colt in .41 colt (“Thunderer”) made in 1879, a M1897 Winchester in 12 gauge made in 1904, and a side by side 20 gauge “Hopkins and Allen made between 1908 and 1915 (when they went out of business).  I have a 16 gauge Model 1897 made in 1917 already.

The Colt is in excellent condition and I’ve shot both smokeless and BP out of it.  Very fun but not too useful for SASS.  I bought the dies and supplies for reloading .41 so about to get started.  Gun is so filthy after 15-20 rounds that it won’t function and it’s time for a bath.  Folks warned me about the chore of cleaning black powder but it really makes you get to know your firearm very well.  Fun!

Model 1897 12 gauge is very well used with lots of bluing loss.  I will take it apart and clean before firing.  It does not have the buttons on the side for unloading the magazine like my later 16 gauge, it has the screws.  Good for SASS and WB.

H&A shotgun needs oiling and I wouldn’t hazard a guess on when it was last fired.  It’s not a twist or Damascus barrel but will have it checked out by a real gunsmith before it gets used.  I also want to determine the chamber length as well.  Not a lot of info on H&As and I’ve found the best source to be old catalogs.  The books about them usually just parrot what the catalogs have in them.

i also received three other single shot shotguns, all breech break action.  A Stevens 94C in 28 gauge, a Stevens in .410 made in 1951 and a H&A in 12 gauge which appears to be a reinforced “Duck” gun.  I have no idea what to do with these.  All three looks to be worth about $50 to $75 a piece.  I will clean and oil them for now.  

My competition instinct is to get new revolvers and a rifle in .38-40.  Keep to one caliber but stay historic.  I like to find a pair of SAA in .41 colt.   Decisions, decisions.   I did find a guy on Gunbroker selling a pair of USFA pistols duel chambered in .41 colt and a cylinder with .38-40.  Perfect for me but the $7500 price tag steered me away.  No oilwells in my backyard.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_19a4.thumb.jpg.227fe056189298f9bc4bb0b0ff1f794e.jpg

I am going against the grain but I shoot smokeless in my 44-40 revolvers and rifle. It is cleaner in every way and meets the criteria of my catagory. 

So, you have had three months. did you get the hat? It is far more important than silly old guns. Well mebbe not. Im glad you are getting your guns and gear together and will be shooting matches soon. We get to shoot most of our monthly matches here in the South, not too many weather cancellations. I have become allergic to snow.

Imis

43 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

So, you have had three months. did you get the hat? It is far more important than silly old guns. Well mebbe not. Im glad you are getting your guns and gear together and will be shooting matches soon. We get to shoot most of our monthly matches here in the South, not too many weather cancellations. I have become allergic to snow.

Imis

I grew up in Colorado and Nebraska and lived and worked on a cattle ranch.  I already have all the western wear from working cattle on horseback.  Just put my hat on and it's not really comfortable anymore so it looks like I'll be upgrading.   :-)

On 3/22/2019 at 7:23 PM, Tubby Butterman said:

Update:

I returned from Florida and now have some additional guns from my great grandfather including a M1877 Colt in .41 colt (“Thunderer”) made in 1879, a M1897 Winchester in 12 gauge made in 1904, and a side by side 20 gauge “Hopkins and Allen made between 1908 and 1915 (when they went out of business).  I have a 16 gauge Model 1897 made in 1917 already.

The Colt is in excellent condition and I’ve shot both smokeless and BP out of it.  Very fun but not too useful for SASS.  I bought the dies and supplies for reloading .41 so about to get started.  Gun is so filthy after 15-20 rounds that it won’t function and it’s time for a bath.  Folks warned me about the chore of cleaning black powder but it really makes you get to know your firearm very well.  Fun!

Model 1897 12 gauge is very well used with lots of bluing loss.  I will take it apart and clean before firing.  It does not have the buttons on the side for unloading the magazine like my later 16 gauge, it has the screws.  Good for SASS and WB.

H&A shotgun needs oiling and I wouldn’t hazard a guess on when it was last fired.  It’s not a twist or Damascus barrel but will have it checked out by a real gunsmith before it gets used.  I also want to determine the chamber length as well.  Not a lot of info on H&As and I’ve found the best source to be old catalogs.  The books about them usually just parrot what the catalogs have in them.

i also received three other single shot shotguns, all breech break action.  A Stevens 94C in 28 gauge, a Stevens in .410 made in 1951 and a H&A in 12 gauge which appears to be a reinforced “Duck” gun.  I have no idea what to do with these.  All three looks to be worth about $50 to $75 a piece.  I will clean and oil them for now.  

My competition instinct is to get new revolvers and a rifle in .38-40.  Keep to one caliber but stay historic.  I like to find a pair of SAA in .41 colt.   Decisions, decisions.   I did find a guy on Gunbroker selling a pair of USFA pistols duel chambered in .41 colt and a cylinder with .38-40.  Perfect for me but the $7500 price tag steered me away.  No oilwells in my backyard.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_19a4.thumb.jpg.227fe056189298f9bc4bb0b0ff1f794e.jpg

38-40 (38WCF) is a Great Cartrige to use in both your rifle and revolvers. Those are my favorites, I've currently got 3 pair of revolvers, a 73 carbine, a 73 short rifle and a 66 carbine all in that caliber. Works great for both smokeless and smokin rounds and can be used in Wild Bunch and Classic Cowboy.

Scout

Tubby,

l have been shooting for two seasons now.

listen and read all the advice you get from the wire.

then call Jimmy Spurs (Cowboy Gun Works) and order your Ruger Vaquero in 38, your Winchester 73, also in 38, and your SBS coach gun.

he will trick them out - and these are the best guns shot by the world champions.

i studied for six months, befriended two world champs, and I shoot Jimmy Spurs guns now too.

you might "prefer"  your Kia (figuratively) but if you want the best you need the Lamborghini.. Both do the job, but oh what fun it is to drive in a Lambo !

then if you want to shoot a specialty category, then you can add to your arms cache - and with the comfort that you don't have safe queens that limit your performance.

i just bought some Ruger Old Armys (also tricked) and plan to add frontiersmen to my repertoire.

dont buy cheap guns, that you keep replacing / upgrading, it's cheaper to bite the bullet (like that pun ?)

Get contact information!

Wait what?

what I mean is as a new shooter its easy to get overwhelmed with meeting so many new people at a match. you leave feeling great but not knowing anyone's real name. This is important because just about everyone is willing to let you shoot or try out their stuff the day of a match, but reaching out in advance is a curtesy. It will let them plan on bringing extra ammo for you and even a few extra guns (some shooters have an extra set or two in the safes believe it or not :P).

This also lets you set up times to meet and shoot outside of monthly matches. Some ranges are only open to the cowboys on the day of the match, meaning if you wanna test guns, ammo, or gear you have to wait a month and that's Nooo fun. 

All this is to give you the opportunity to shoot as many different guns as possible before you find the ones you love!  

Archived