SASS Wire Forum

WELL I'VE JOINED THE REAL WORLD

Last Friday I gave up my old "flip phone" and got a new iPhone 10. I resisted for many years, but reality finally woke me up.

My wife and I will be spending a month in Alaska early this summer. I want to get my email and keep up with Facebook and access the internet. I do have a tablet I could take, but it would need Wifi. The phone does not need anything, just the network access which will be pretty good.

What a eye opener! This small piece of electronics is more than I ever would have thought. I am a retired aerospace engineer, so I'm pretty tech savy. I just never wanted this type of "phone". Now I've got, just have to learn how to use it! LOL

I haven't had my iPhone terribly long, but the fact that it syncs my calendar with my MacBook makes life so much easier for me. I regret not getting one earlier, if only for that feature. I still probably only use 2-3% of its actual functionality, but I'm OK with that.

You can turn your iphone into a hotspot and use your larger tablet or laptop thru wifi.  You'll just use your cell phone data running your tablet.  There are lots of apps and you can customize your phone to suit you.  I resisted getting a smartphone for years and finally broke down about 3 years ago.  Now I don't know how I lived this long without one.

Big Sage, I personally like iPhones just a little better than Droids. Both have their pluses.

What Badlands Bob said is true and a great idea. For a long time I resisted getting a data package and relied more on WiFi. This last go around when I upgraded to an iPhone XS Max I went with unlimited data and I do not regret it. I don’t have to rely on WiFi or passwords. I can access my gun sites without some IT dweeb regulating my access. 

I recommend you you do some YouTube searches on tricks for using your new phone. You will learn some neat stuff.

Also, for tracking weather I recommend the Weatherbug, NOAA Radar, Accu-Weather and Sattelite Weather Loops APPS for getting a good idea on what is happening with weather in your area or where you are going.

Make sure you set your phone to “backup” automatically. Also, for photos, “backup” will only hold so much. I pay $0.99 a month for extra Cloud Storage. I also have Google Photos and Amazon Prime photos for backing up all my photos. If you set Google on “unlimited” storage they will reduce the size of your photos but not enough to see with the naked eye but they will back up quickly after the photo is taken, especially if you have unlimited data you don’t have to worry about backing them up yourself.

Of course, unlimited data means you have to have network availability. Some remote areas don’t have access all the time but photos will back up when you get connectivity...

Enjoy your new toy. :D

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I got a smart phone and discovered I now have cell coverage at my cabin. That was dumb.

It's only dumb if you tell her!  Always nice to "realize you finally have service there" in an emergency situation.

Na. Always done pretty good without it. And if something happens to me where I'm not maybe gonna make it that's the place I want it to happen -and I don't want nobody bothering me while it's happening. :D

@Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life,

Of course you will need to get this adapter to listen to your music....:o

657226201_iPhoneAdapter.JPG.d03dbeef75febd83b3e9c18709038c90.JPG

Actually, you have joined the virtual world. :D

I have a smart phone. But I can’t get service out here so I only turn it on when I’m in town and need o contact swmbo.

I’m sure it has many capabilities for many things and would make my life much better if I knew how to properly use it.

Or maybe not? ;)

10 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I'm too old to change.  I'm holding out for a rotary dial flip phone!

You can get an app that puts a rotary dial on your smart phone screen.

4 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

I'm still sticking with my flip phone, at least until it dies:rolleyes::lol::blush:

I was in a thrift shop a couple weeks ago and found a phone just like the one I have, so I'm covered. My flip phone works fine as a phone. Which is what I use it for. 

I'm not saying that smart phones don't have advantages, but for now, I don't see the need for one. Maybe when I retire and have to give the company phone back.

On 1/16/2019 at 1:13 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Actually, you have joined the virtual world. :D

I have a smart phone. But I can’t get service out here so I only turn it on when I’m in town and need o contact swmbo.

I’m sure it has many capabilities for many things and would make my life much better if I knew how to properly use it.

Or maybe not? ;)

You can connect your phone to your home Internet and use it for all kinds of neat stuff even without cell service. I don't have cell service where I live either, but I can still use my phone to check e-mail, do online banking, etc. without cranking up my laptop. The main reason I like to do things that way is that I've got my phone set up to use my fingerprint to log into a lot of websites, where I need a whole string of passwords to do the same stuff on my laptop...

In case you're interested, that is...

I don't want all this "neat stuff". I like my flip phone; I can call and text just fine.

I will have to get a smart phone soon. I had an employer-issued iPhone at work until I retired a couple of years ago. I used it only for my calendar and email.

In retirement, we've gone on a couple of tours where we haven't needed a smart phone because others had them. We're going overseas soon just ourselves, and now I know I need one. Bookings, reservations, directions--now you have to have one. I've held out (near 71) as long as I can.

7 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I don't want all this "neat stuff". I like my flip phone; I can call and text just fine.

In retirement, we've gone on a couple of tours where we haven't needed a smart phone because others had them. We're going overseas soon just ourselves, and now I know I need one. Bookings, reservations, directions--now you have to have one. I've held out (near 71) as long as I can.

I agree about the flip phone. As for the rest, when I travel, I carry a laptop.

Archived