SASS Wire Forum

Is chloroform explosive/flammable?

Alpo

Watching To Have and Have Not.

Bogey is performing surgery by the light of a kerosene lamp. They are using chloroform as an anethesia.

Ether is flammable, so there might could be a chance of KABOOM.

But chloroform? Dangerous around an open flame?

If chloroform burns it can create phosgene as a by product and that stuff is very nasty. Good thing though that chloroform is not very likely to burn openly. 

Phosgene. Nasty stuff. We have a reefer (refrigeration) unit control system catch fire (electrical fire) on my ship. Freon was released. Fire + Freon = Phosgene. A couple of HT’s didn’t don their breathing apparatus and damn near died from inhaling Phosgene. Good thing the Carrier was in helo distance and they got transported there in time.

15 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Phosgene isn't too bad. Back when I was making alpha-methyl bad stuff for the Govt. I used a rail car a week as starting material. What I made was BAD stuff.

I believe it was bad enough that the Germans used it in trench warfare in World War I while experimenting with chemical warfare agents.

Granted, chlorine gas will put you down much faster but phosgene will kill you very unpleasantly none the less. Pulmonary edema is a direct result of phosgene inhalation. It's a very slow and unpleasant way to die.

I imagine if phosgene was a feedstock for whatever you were producing than the final product was indeed horrible.

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I want no parts of any of it ;)

No you don't. 

I work in a chemical manufacturing facility and can tell you that there are feedstocks for some relatively seemingly benign products that will do very nasty things to human tissue. There are also other very hazardous chemicals used in some chemical processes in manufacturing the final product that do not become part of the final product. Chemical manufacturing is indeed a world of its own. Not necessarily to be feared but damm well respected.

Archived