SASS Wire Forum

*Tips Hat*

Barbatos

Howdy y’all. Newbie here, name’s Barbatos (a play on the Latin word Barbatus which means “the bearded one”).  I just want to say hello and extend a thank you to all those making this sport a possibility! Texas born, currently residing in Mississippi.  I’ve been eyeing the Cowboy action shooting for a few years now with the intent of getting into it. A good buddy of mine Dastardly Dan finally got me out to watch a shoot with the Mississippi Peacemakers. I had no intentions of shooting that particular day, but I was met with the warmest welcome and had memebers throwing leathers, guns and ammo at me to give it a go. Huge thank you to Buck Bow for taking me under his wing! Had an amazing time. I have to say I’ve met nothing but the absolute nicest bunch of folks I could possible ask for within the 4 Cowboy Action Shooting matches I’ve shot. I have been bitten by the bug pretty dang bad to say the least. Finally have my own full rig together, Mernickle Quick Cal ultra holster, a pair of Taylor tuned Smoke Wagons, Taylor 1873 worked over by Lefty Wheeler, Stoeger Coach sxs. Excited to listen and learn all I can from you all. 

Also a huge shoutout to the Jackson Hole Regulators for their warm welcome and hospitality last weekend! Great time shooting with y’all. Slick McClade showed me how it’s really done. He was nice enough to give me a few pointers as far as improving my transitions and being “rougher” on my new gear. Never noticed how gently I place my rifle down, and give it a “it’s gonna be alright” pat on my way to the next station haha. He’s equally as nice a guy to talk to as he can shoot. We will try our best to become regulars.  

Here’s me attempting  my best Marty Robbins pose haha

See ya on the Range Partner

8088BB53-D9EB-4324-A11A-6ECE7812E618.jpeg

Welcome to the game Barbados. Have a blast!!!

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

8 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Welcome aboard, Barbatos, from across the boarder in Alabama.  Where is Mississippi are you?

Thank you. Central Ms, in the woods near Jackson

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

That's an awesome picture!

Thanks, if only y’all knew how hard it was to get that pose just right haha

I’ll do you one better...think it’ll pass?

A9B32CF3-3AED-425A-9672-A6935E57492E.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

Outstanding, Sir! Working Latin and Marty Robbins into your first post is well played, indeed!

Welcome to the fire!

I always try to play the best hand I can. 

15 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Welcome to the best game there is!

Thank you, and you’ve got that right sir!

12 minutes ago, Jax T said:

Welcome to the game Barbados. Have a blast!!!

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

Thank you, will do!

Just now, Assassin said:

How's that beard when you eat rice? 

It ain’t no good brother. Unless you consider the unique ability to store some for later a plus. 

Welcome pard! You just became part of the best sport in the World! Enjoy the ride! Enjoy the people!

That beard is gonna get caught n your shotgun and it's gonna huuuurt.

11 minutes ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

Welcome pard! You just became part of the best sport in the World! Enjoy the ride! Enjoy the people!

I’d say I’m already obsessed!

4 minutes ago, Noz said:

That beard is gonna get caught n your shotgun and it's gonna huuuurt.

Definitely not looking forward to that day. Now if I could only train it to load my shells, we’d be in business!

7 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Welcome to the wire. I'm scheduled to work this weekend so won't be shooting. Hopefully ya'll can make Amite in two weeks. 

We should know a week or so out. Hopefully it works out for us. 

Loving this rifle by the way, thanks again for the deal!

Also a huge shoutout to the Jackson Hole Regulators for their warm welcome and hospitality last weekend! Great time shooting with y’all. We will try our best to become regulars. 

5 minutes ago, Devlin McBride said:

Howdy and welcome from the Lone Star State.  I'm a new hand on this spread too but I can already tell this is a great bunch to be riding with. 

Devlin

Can i get a TEXAS!!! 

Absolutely, One of the few competition sports I’ve found where they are glad to see new comers. 

Howdy and welcome!

I was in your boots nigh on 9 years ago now.  Just went to watch, wound up shooting a few stages with gifted ammo and borrowed guns.   Ain't looked back since as the posse might be gaining on me!

Big beards do create a few challenges, but those few among us brave enough to sport them are up to the challenge!

Grizz

37 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Howdy and welcome!

I was in your boots nigh on 9 years ago now.  Just went to watch, wound up shooting a few stages with gifted ammo and borrowed guns.   Ain't looked back since as the posse might be gaining on me!

Big beards do create a few challenges, but those few among us brave enough to sport them are up to the challenge!

Grizz

Thank you sir, your videos were a help as well for a newbie like me. 

33 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Welcome, Barbatos!

Thank you

15 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on. 

Randy

I’d have to agree, now I just need to make sure I don’t lose my britches mid stage and change that saying. 

Looks like you started out with the right attitude for this game and in the right direction with good equipment and some of the best teachers. Great picture. It only gets better from here and hang on for the ride. Hope to shoot with you some day.

9 hours ago, Griff said:

Haircut & a shave, 4-bits!  :ph34r:

Uh that's......."Shave and a haircut...TWO BITS????

Is your SASS badge number really in the 127K series? I just joined in December and my badge starts with 108. Have we added 19,000 new members in a month?

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Uh that's......."Shave and a haircut...TWO BITS????

Underbiddin' me AGAIN?

5 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Looks like you started out with the right attitude for this game and in the right direction with good equipment and some of the best teachers. Great picture. It only gets better from here and hang on for the ride. Hope to shoot with you some day.

Hope to meet as many as I can out on the trail, now just to obtain those skills I was instructed haha 

4 hours ago, Ramblin Randy said:

Is your SASS badge number really in the 127K series? I just joined in December and my badge starts with 108. Have we added 19,000 new members in a month?

My sass number is 108158. I’m not sure where that other number got pasted from. Sorry for the confusion. 

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Welcome aboard!!;)

Thank ya kindly!

I'm new too and had the same experience all the way on the other side of the country in OR.  Super nice folks for sure.  

Forgot to mention...  Barbatos, you have my new favorite avatar lol.  Well played sir.

Archived