SASS Wire Forum

Firing pin bushing tool

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

Working on a friends Cimarron revolver and need to find a firing pin bushing tool. Any sources for one? I made one that will work temporarily, but would like to get the real thing.

Thanks

Howdy

Not quite sure what you need.

Colts have a hardened plate pressed into the frame around the hole in the frame for the firing pin. This hardened plate helps prevent the softer frame metal from peening over after the firing pin flashes through many times.

Dunno if Cimarron revolvers have the same plate. Last time I checked, Ubertis do not, con't know if Piettas do or not.

Anyway, Kuhnhausen shows a tool made from drill rod for crimping the hardened plate into the frame. He mentions beveling and clearancing the point 45 degrees. It looks like he has left a hollowed out rim, slightly larger in diameter than the plate diameter.

To drive out the plate he suggests using a 82 degree bronze punch. 82 degrees will match the countersink at the rear of the plate.

7 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

Not quite sure what you need.

Colts have a hardened plate pressed into the frame around the hole in the frame for the firing pin.

This part is called a recoil plate.

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

This part is called a recoil plate.

Yeah, I know that. This is one in a Colt.

coltrecoilplate.jpg

The question is, what exactly does the OP need a tool to do?

4 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Working on a friends Cimarron revolver and need to find a firing pin bushing tool. Any sources for one? I made one that will work temporarily, but would like to get the real thing.

Thanks

You're not talking about the Cimarron Lightning or P-Jr. revolver are you?  I ask because some of those had a firing pin bushing that screwed into the frame.  One 'smith I knew just took a screwdriver with a wide blade and cut it to fit the two little slots on each side of the bushing (inserted through the barrel).

Otherwise I suppose you are talking about a Pietta, since those do have a recoil plate.

1 minute ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

You're not talking about the Cimarron Lightning or P-Jr. revolver are you?  I ask because some of those had a firing pin bushing that screwed into the frame.  One 'smith I knew just took a screwdriver with a wide blade and cut it to fit the two little slots on each side of the bushing (inserted through the barrel).

Otherwise I suppose you are talking about a Pietta, since those do have a recoil plate.

It's a P and has the screw in bushing. I made one out of a screw driver, but was hoping there was something better.

1 hour ago, Lazy Eeyour said:

Look at spanner screw driver for one that fits.

Examples at lower, right side of photo.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763YLD4C/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1

That just might do the trick. Thanks. Funny thing is I looked at a set like that but it didn't have any flat blade tips. I'll check out my local hardware or Harbor Freight.

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Sure would be a big help to all of us, if you could now post a picture of the bushing etc.

OLG

I'll try to get one today, but am scrambling to get ready for the Territorial Breakout at Yuma this weekend.

15 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Sure would be a big help to all of us, if you could now post a picture of the bushing etc.

OLG

It looks like a security type bit would work, but one side of the slot is either tapered (angled) or there is something jammed in it. 

bushing.JPG

Wouldn't be to hard to shape a bit to fit. Use and extension, and go through the barrel

One of the things I like about the Brownells magna-tips. 

Have you tried a 'pick' to see if it's crud or whatever in the slot? 

OLG

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wouldn't be to hard to shape a bit to fit. Use and extension, and go through the barrel

One of the things I like about the Brownells magna-tips. 

Have you tried a 'pick' to see if it's crud or whatever in the slot? 

OLG

Yeah, I picked at it with my smallest pick and it didn't budge. He's gonna use them this weekend and I'll try to get it back and work on it some more. I told him I needed to see the other one for comparison to see if the bushing looks the same. Thanks

Archived