2019 Iron Cowboy at Rock Castle

Blackwater 53393

and again

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

:ph34r:

Nothing to be afeared of!!  Lots of fun stages and a bunch of great cowboys!!

35 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Nothing to be afeared of!!  Lots of fun stages and a bunch of great cowboys!!

Oh, I KNOW! That was more of a "why is this lurking off the first page" icon.

See ya' there, Sawyer!!  

14 minutes ago, Deacon Henry, SASS #53503L said:

Howdy, I am registered and counting the days. I went to the Rockcastle website and can't find the schedule or round counts etc. Does anyone  know if this information will be posted ?

Don't know if they'll post it or not. You could call them to know for sure.

8 stages for the main match on Saturday though. So 200 rounds pistol/rife and 50 shotgun should get you through Saturday.

12 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

2 weeks away!

Hey @Tennessee williams you ought to come up and join the fun, can't be more than a 2 1/2 hours from Murfreesboro.

Ive heard people mention it, but really know nothing about it. I tried to look at the rockcastle link but not really any match info. Where do I look?

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

Ive heard people mention it, but really know nothing about it. I tried to look at the rockcastle link but not really any match info. Where do I look?

https://www.rockcastleshootingcenter.com/copy-of-clubs-and-competitions

8 stages of pure fun.

TW, you will love the match. I hate to have to miss it but I have obligations to my home club that weekend. Something about a reunion match as Tryrel pointed out about the third post.

Fire N Fallback will keep you moving and shooting all day with plenty of fun that evening. I would recommend staying at the hotel on Saturday night.

Tennessee Williams!!  Your cousin says you need to go!!  Don't know if I can get her up there 'cause it'll be a grandson weekend, but I'm planning on shooting the main match.  It'll be my first match in nearly a year and the first one back on both feet in a while!

4 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I called the number and left a message yesterday to get some info. Cant find any on the rockcastle website other than the day.

What are you wanting to know?

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

What are you wanting to know?

When the side matches start, what side matches they have, what time the main match starts, and round count. Price. How to sign up. All I know is they are having a 2 day match next friday and saturday.

8 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

When the side matches start, what side matches they have, what time the main match starts, and round count. Price. How to sign up. All I know is they are having a 2 day match next friday and saturday.

Gotcha, I know it's $75 for both days and that includes lunch Saturday and dinner Saturday night. Wild Bunch match on Friday and 8 stage main match on Saturday. I'll call as well tomorrow and see if I can get some more info too; I'll message them on Facebook too as they're decent about answering that.

Seems like I remember side match and registration is Friday from 10-4 and usually have the typical speed events. Saturday I think shooting starts at 9 with 4 stages then lunch then 4 more stages.

@Tennessee williams I talked to Amber at Rockcastle this morning; she didn't have much information at all and told me to get in touch with Fire 'N Fallback; she took my number to pass on to his wife. In the meantime I called @Blackwater 53393 who actually has Fire N Fallback's contact info; hopefully he'll know more later. 

If you do decide to come I'd say if there isn't a side match that you wanted we could start it; LOL. 

Having received calls and messages from several folks, I talked to Fire 'N' Fallback this morning to glean some more information.

Wild Bunch will begin at noon in the pistol bays on Friday.  C.W. Knight will be your host.

Side matches, including Speed rifle, Speed pistol, and Speed shotgun will follow as the pistol bays clear.  Other side matches may be added as per demand.

Friday night meet and greet in the Jesse James room.  Snacks will be provided and it is encouraged to BYO!!  "Kinda' pot luck!"  was the statement describing the get together.

Saturday morning 8:30 Safety Meeting followed by the Match beginning at 9:00 AM.

The match fee is $60.00.  Match with meals and entertainment will be $75.00

I failed to ask about "round count"  but past experience tells me to bring all the ammo you can carry!!  These guys are liable to keep shootin' even after the match is over!!

I hope this helps!!  Be ready to move and shoot and then move again!!  AND!!  Be ready to laugh and have fun!!

I just called and got a room for Friday and Saturday nights. You can sign up for the main Match Friday or before 8:30 Saturday morning. if you think you want to stay at the hotel, you best call for a reservation as the hotel is getting full from the way the lady at the desk talked. I am planning on being there by 6-6:30 on Friday so I see you all then.

Maddog McCoy

I'll see y'all Saturday morning!!

Wild Bunch starts in a couple of hours!!

There's STILL time to get here and get in on the fun!!  We'll take applications right up 'til the safety meeting tomorrow morning!!  

SADDLE UP!!

I made it through!!  Iron Cowboy?  I don't know!!  I feel more like hammered lead!!  Some folks said they felt like rusty tin can cowboys, but WE HAD A BLAST!!  Eight stages of run 'n' gun, move everywhere, "You figure it out!!" stages!!  

Little targets!  Big targets!!  Knockdowns!  Plate racks!!  "Shoot the door open!".  Run, (I walked) through the woods!!  Load your rifle on the clock and shoot a plate rack!  Pick which side of the prop to shoot from!  Hang your pistols on the bed post and shoot from the bed!!

I felt like I'd gone back to the first time I ever shot a match!!  There were grins EVERYWHERE and folks laughing and cutting up!!  AND WE DIDN'T GET RAINED ON!!

I hope they NEVER stop putting this match on!!

EDIT:  Tombstone made it after all!!   Where were you???

It was a good time. Great match. Lots of movement and shooting however Blackwater I must have missed the big target you mentioned. I remember one about human size if you are a small human.

I will be back, this is what it was like when I started 19 years ago.

2 hours ago, Tn Tombstone said:

It was a good time. Great match. Lots of movement and shooting however Blackwater I must have missed the big target you mentioned. I remember one about human size if you are a small human.

I will be back, this is what it was like when I started 19 years ago.

It was that big brown rifle target down in Cowboy town!  It WAS far away though!!!  :lol:

That was the person shape target and I was going for head shoots only:lol:

1 hour ago, Tn Tombstone said:

That was the person shape target and I was going for head shoots only:lol:

And if anyone believes THAT....:rolleyes: :lol:

It WAS fun, wasn’t it??

I had a blast!  I probably finished dead last but in 200 years most people won’t remember.  I can’t remember what I had for lunch.  Lots of fun stages, inventive scenarios, kinda like SASS in the old days when it was more about fun than scores! Tennessee Cowboy(used to be Georgia Slick) took home the trophy for “Elder Statesman Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter Outlaw Jose Wales” after a long and drawn out battle(over 2 years and 5 matches)!  Trophy was made by TN. Whiskers out of horseshoes and it was a work of art and the only one in the world!  Thanks to Fire and Fall Back, Cleve, Let’s Go, Nate, and all the others who worked so hard for the benefit of the rest of us!

Archived