SASS Wire Forum

From a Hardee’s cashier...

So yesterday I drove by a Hardee’s and got a hankering for breakfast. I loves me their biscuits like nobody’s business!

Anyway, the bill came to $5.25, and I gave the cashier one five-dollar bill and one quarter. He took the currency and coin in each hand, ciphered on them a moment or three, then his multi-piercing lips started to grin before saying...

“I’m so glad for exact change. That way I don’t have to think.”

Face.  Palm. Shake. Head.  

Howdy,

Please Please please go in there again

and hand him a fiver and a half dollar coin.

You should be aware his head might ezplode.

Best

CR

I got change once from a Wendy's cashier, it was $0.52, she handed me 5 dimes and two pennies. I said, "Oh you're out of quarters huh"? She just stared at me for a few seconds! I think she really didn't understand what I was saying!!!:blink:

IMHO, Most cashiers these days don't know how to count change. without that computer telling them how much change is due, we the consumers would be out of luck.

This is why I still enjoy paying in cash.

:D

It’s universal, I see it everywhere in every currency.  Tonight I had a bill of something like 2921,79, handed the cashier 15 200s. She counted them three times before entering 3000 into the register, stacked them into piles of 5 200s, counted to 3000 again. When I left she counted again to 3000 and put them into the drawer.  So many people pay with cards, she does not actually handle cash a lot.

it wasn’t all that much money folks, about $108, which is about the same as her monthly salary.

Ya know, I'm going to have to give the cashier, and cashiers in general, the benefit of the doubt. I'm not a math whiz by any stretch, but I do OK. I can figure out a 15% or a 20% tip in my head, can figure out pretty quickly how much change I should get back, etc... However, when I am working retail and do a cash transaction, I default to letting the register do the math for me. Is it laziness? Perhaps. Or, it could be that I know that the machine can do it faster, and will be recording any shortages, overages, etc... I have better things to do with my time than to pause and do the math in my head when it is right there for me.

In other words, I don't need to think about it. I have enough things I have to think about. Of course, I went into law because I was told there wouldn't be much math...

21 minutes ago, Shootin' Shu said:

Ever think he may have been pulling your chains?

No.  Seen it too many times.  I once had a fast-food tab of $2.26.  I handed the cashier a $5 bill and a penny.  He absolutely, positively did not know what to do with it.

I worked as a retail sales manager for many years. The number of times the amount of cash in each till at the end of the day actually matched the receipts could probably be counted on the fingers of my hands. Once I audited the register early in the morning right after a cash sale and I found the cashier had already screwed it up. Compound that by several mistakes a day and it made for long frustrating nights trying to find and fix all the errors. Credit cards weren't much better. Too many times the CC was rung up for $23.43 but the cashier entered $43.23 in Point of Sale. It was all due to the young cashiers (who we replaced more often than some people do their underwear) sitting on Cloud 9 instead of thinking about what they were actually doing.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It’s universal, I see it everywhere in every currency.  Tonight I had a bill of something like 2921,79, handed the cashier 15 200s. She counted them three times before entering 3000 into the register, stacked them into piles of 5 200s, counted to 3000 again. When I left she counted again to 3000 and put them into the drawer.  So many people pay with cards, she does not actually handle cash a lot.

it wasn’t all that much money folks, about $108, which is about the same as her monthly salary.

Well, I'm as lost as those kids.  What kind of money do you use in New Hampshire?

5 hours ago, Shootin' Shu said:

Lighten up guys.. Ever think he may have been pulling your chains?

I was there. 

It it took him a good fifteen seconds to ponder the bill and coin, and was genuinely relieved that he wouldn’t have to count change. 

7 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

Two dollar bill will confuse mightily.

Less than a year ago I had a clerk at a stop-and-rob down Phoenix way call his manager and tried to get to police involved because I tried to pass a counterfeit bill.  It was a $2.00 bill that I had picked up at store that same morning.  The Manager told him to wait in the offica, apologized to me and called someone else to run the register.

I didn't stick around to see what became of the kid.

I routinely pay for a lot of things with Sacagawea  and Presidential dollar coins.  For the most part the only questions clerks have is what drawer to put them in.  This is a small town so pretty soon people remember me when I pull out my Crown Royal bag of golden dollar coins.  I'm also getting to be known in a number of American Legion and VFW bars.  There are a lot of children and grandchildren of wait staff and tradespeople that have a stash of golden dollars coins waiting for them from the tips and payments I've left in golden dollars.

2 hours ago, punxsutawneypete said:

I routinely pay for a lot of things with Sacagawea  and Presidential dollar coins.  For the most part the only questions clerks have is what drawer to put them in.  This is a small town so pretty soon people remember me when I pull out my Crown Royal bag of golden dollar coins.  I'm also getting to be known in a number of American Legion and VFW bars.  There are a lot of children and grandchildren of wait staff and tradespeople that have a stash of golden dollars coins waiting for them from the tips and payments I've left in golden dollars.

Same here.

Whenever I go to the bank for any reason I always ask for "gold" dollars, halves too.  I love playing with these just to watch the expression on people's faces.

I have also discovered that young kids love the gold dollars. For reasons of their own, I don't care as it's awesome and they are experiencing something new.  Give a 9 year old kid a bag of gold dollars for their birthday or Christmas and watch their face light up. ;)

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Same here.

Whenever I go to the bank for any reason I always ask for "gold" dollars, halves too.  I love playing with these just to watch the expression on people's faces.

I have also discovered that young kids love the gold dollars. For reasons of their own, I don't care as it's awesome and they are experiencing something new.  Give a 9 year old kid a bag of gold dollars for their birthday or Christmas and watch their face light up. ;)

That's wonderful to hear.  I look at coins as works of art.

I have no children or grandchildren, so I don't know what kids are into these days.  So that my little cousins get a birthday present from me that they'll remember, I take a birthday card and then Gorilla tape a bunch of the shiniest golden dollars I have in the shape of that child's initial.   

Archived