SASS Wire Forum

SHORT STORIES: COMMENTS HERE, PLEASE!

You've all borne most patiently my wandering over a considerable amount of landscape, deep into the past and far into the future:  for your patience with my long wind, my profound thanks.

I'm trying something different.

The new thread is SHORT STORIES.

I'll let you decide how well I do or don't do!

Linn,

As always your writings are a breath of fresh air to the SALOON.

Introducing short stories sounds like the next best thing for those of us with short attention spans. :blush:

Look forward to your first foray into this new realm.

• 1 month later...

Folks, I'm sorry.

I've managed to irritate the aging Oriental.

You may be familiar with that ancient Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."

Anyway --

My father will be having a second surgery soon as he's healed up from this first procedure.

My wife is flat on her back shivering with the ague, the Galloping Crud, the Wichita Awful-Awfuls, or whatever variety of the plague beset her (she works at a hospital, she's exposed to everything coming or going) ... we had those unholy high winds, 71 MPH at peak, power was out so I tested the deep cycle batteries on my sump pump ...

... 9 volts ...

... anything below ten volts is irreparable damage: turns out when they say MAINTENANCE FREE ... they ain't.

I check battery water every Monday now.

Jeep had to have upper and lower ball joints and both front end U-joints ... oh yes, and rear shocks, they loaned me a Cherokee, I loathe, detest and hate these modern cars with all their controls on a touch screen, had I my druthers I'd have a Land-Rover as God invented them -- a boxy African safari car, spartan and utilitarian and built like a tank!

Anyway -- 

That's only a few of the aggravations and irritations I've had to put up with here of late, thus the delay in posting any tales.

My apologies.

I did have one ray of hope, I saw where Land-Rover is going to import their Defender -- I'd understood their model Defender is that boxy machine I knew and loved, Dad got one for Mon in 19 and 72 ... but no, the Defender they're importing is another one of those complicated modern luxury mobiles, not one of my beloved bare bones rig.

When I'd crawl under with a grease gun, if one grease fitting on one driveshaft was pointed down, the were ALL pointed down.

It had a pipe nipple beat flat on one end and welded to the frame, a collar and plug on the threaded end:  if you were going "Wading" (British for driving through the crick) you'd take that pipe plug and wind it into the bottom of the bell housing so you'd not get the clutch wet.  Replace the plug when you're back on dry land.

Brake linings were attached to the shoes with COPPER RIVETS!

Makes sense ... if you're ten million miles from the nearest parts store and you're down to the rivets, copper won't gouge big grooves in the drums!

It had a hole in the back bumper so you could run a PTO shaft out and run a baler, for cryin' out loud!

The fellow who bought it from us used it to run a sawmill!

(tired sigh)

My apologies for holding forth at length.

I just got off the late shift, picked up some stuff from the drug store on the way home, I'll pick up the wife's prescription when I drag out of the bunk in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...

Life is a roller coaster, there are long and tedious climbs and there are sheer terrifying drops, and then there are sections where it just kinda runs along level ...

Tonight will be interesting!

My old and dear squad partner, Michelle, married an FBI agent (now retired) named Richard ... that's where I got the pale eyed Sheriff Willamina's husband Richard, retired FBI ...

I've never met the original Richard.

Tonight we will!

They're going to meet us at a nice restaurant -- I even polished up my boots! -- and something tells me it'll get real deep, real fast!

Looking forward to this!

Something tells me ... some of our tales will make it into what I write ... things like that generally happen, because as the wise man said, "You can't make this stuff up!"

• 1 month later...

There is an ancient Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."
I seem to have offended the maledicting Oriental.
The wife is about healed up, as am I: we both had viral bronchitis and the flu ... both at the same time ... our primary care said the flu shot was 50% effective this year, better than it has been, but as usual I fell on the wrong side of the half way mark.

That's why I play neither the lottery nor the ponies.

My luck is never spectacularly bad, nor dazzlingly good, it's just kind of consistently poor!

Hopefully I'll get to feelin' good enough the story tellin' machine will light up and start workin' again right here directly!

Archived