SASS Wire Forum

Hearing Aids And Music

Yul Lose

The hearing aid thread got me thinking about music and hearing aids. In my case I used to love violin music and live concerts but anymore I have to mute my hearing aids or take them out to be able to listen in comfort. Violin music anymore is very objectionable and similar to a cat scratching a tin roof. My audiologist says that’s the way it is. So Rye Miles I don’t know if you wear hearing aids or not but if you did would you be able to hear music well enough to do your job? Do band members who play and sit through concerts with incredibly loud music suffer hearing loss or do they wear hearing protection? Can they perform or play their music wearing that hearing protection?

YUL,

I wear aids and here is my experience with music:

The aids help me hear music, but it normally takes about 1/2 of the first line before

my brain actually tunes into the key of the music.   In other words, when a song

begins, it normally sounds like its being played with untuned instruments.

It takes a few notes before my brain can discern what my aids are helping me hear.

I might add that without my aids, I actually hear nothing.   Not even police or fire sirens.

And, even when using my aids, word recognition is about 50%.

The quality of your aids also will make a big difference.   

I think mine are about the best $$$ can buy at about 3 BIG ONES each.

..........Widder

8 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

The hearing aid thread got me thinking about music and hearing aids. In my case I used to love violin music and live concerts but anymore I have to mute my hearing aids or take them out to be able to listen in comfort. Violin music anymore is very objectionable and similar to a cat scratching a tin roof. My audiologist says that’s the way it is. So Rye Miles I don’t know if you wear hearing aids or not but if you did would you be able to hear music well enough to do your job? Do band members who play and sit through concerts with incredibly loud music suffer hearing loss or do they wear hearing protection? Can they perform or play their music wearing that hearing protection?

I am fortunate or blessed to have my hearing in tact at 71 yrs old. I still tune pianos by ear! I do know that my mom had hearing aids that were very uncomfortable to her with certain sounds. That was 20 years ago, maybe the NEW hearing aids are better now. There are piano tuners I know that actually wear ear plugs when tuning!! It supposedly protects their ears from the higher frequencies! 

Yul, I knew a piano tuner that DID wear a hearing aid in one ear and he did a great job!! He also had a finger missing on his right hand! 

A nine fingered piano tuner with a hearing aid!!! Imagine that!!:lol:

My beautiful bride found herself obliged to get hearing aids some years back.
She nearly cried for joy when she could hear music again.

My first set, I had to remove to play. got some sort of feedback/ vibration interference with them. I've just played at church over the holidays with my second set and seem to be able to leave these in. That's with my cornet, haven't tried with the trumpet yet:blush:

14 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

YUL,

I wear aids and here is my experience with music:

The aids help me hear music, but it normally takes about 1/2 of the first line before

my brain actually tunes into the key of the music.   In other words, when a song

begins, it normally sounds like its being played with untuned instruments.

It takes a few notes before my brain can discern what my aids are helping me hear.

I might add that without my aids, I actually hear nothing.   Not even police or fire sirens.

And, even when using my aids, word recognition is about 50%.

The quality of your aids also will make a big difference.   

I think mine are about the best $$$ can buy at about 3 BIG ONES each.

..........Widder

I'm in the same boat, next best thing to deaf.  The ability to appreciate music is over for me.  I have the same experience of at some point recognizing the music and "hearing" it OK, but the audiologist says at that point I'm remembering the song, not hearing it.  I played the guitar since I was eight, but that is no longer possible.  It sounds completely out of tune and screwed up.  When it first started happening I was buying new strings and had about decided the neck had warped or something.  It was hard for me to accept that it was me.  Having said all that, everybody's situation is unique, and you may be able to find some that work for you.  I could play and sing while wearing hearing aids for a long time.  Then it just went away.  

I have severe hearing loss in my left ear! (Mostly from highpower rifle shooting with poor ear plugs starting fifty-plus years ago!  My right ear has some loss, as well.  The VA fixed me up with one worn in the left ear that transmits to my right aid. The sensitivity is "balanced" so my brain usually interprets the sound coming from directly in front.  I do notice that songs I hear on the radio are not quite the way I remember them.  With the aids in, it is somewhat better, PROVIDED there are not a lot of sounds coming from around me!  My losses are primarily in the higher frequency ranges.  But what you get with your hearing aids will depend on the frequency losses you experience.

From what I understand, musicians may wear ear pieces that let them hear their own instruments, and, I guess the music from their fellow musicians.  But, I will guarantee you that these kids who play a lot of loud rock music, will regret it eventually!  Those of us who shoot MUST protect our hearing as best we can (properly-fitting plugs, and/or muffs...or both!)  I wear custom plugs OFF the firing line, and put on muffs with the plugs when I get up to shoot.  How can I wear the muffs over a cowboy hat?  I don't!  I put on my cavalry kepi and the muffs before going to the line!  Gotta save what's left! :excl:

On 1/14/2019 at 10:49 PM, Yul Lose said:

A lot depends on what frequency(s) the loss occurs. Mine is a relatively high frequency loss so I'm deaf to those notes without aids. Although I can hear the notes now, they sound a bit tinny, but not overly objectionable. My hearing aids (Resound) are capable of being programmed for different settings. I can switch back and forth using my iPhone, depending on the surrounding environment like restaurants etc. I suppose I could add another setting, but I'm told by the audiologist there's only so much the aids can do. Not worth my while to spend the money searching for that elusive spot.

Archived