SASS Wire Forum

Hearing aid advice recommendations opinions

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Do not know what recommend, but make sure you have a good warranty.   I have had 4 replacement set and am getting ready for a 5th as soon I can reach him,   Guessing will be at least 1 more before 9/19/19            GW

Forgot. $6000 , made by Resound .     The one feature I absolutly love.  The hearing aids bluetooth to my phone.   GW

I have hearing test each year for DOT and have no problem with the whisper test, but in the last year I can barely understand my kids, ask folks over and over to repeat themselves. Some folks I just give up. Doctors for years have said my cilia? is flat and both eardrums pretty badly scarred. I’ve had real bad tinnitus since 25 or so. I’m almost 44. I tried some of the Siemans hearing aids today and was totally blown away. If felt like sinus pressure was relieved and the ringing ceased and stayed that way for hours after I took them out. My ears have rung 24/7 since my mid-late twenties. The examiner said severe-moderate loss in both ears in the tonal range of conversation. I do know this, that annoying buzzing electronic digital alarm sound I cannot hear at all out of my left ear. She estimated I may be missing as much as 20 of words in conversation. When I watch TV, I notice lips moving and hearing nothing quite a lot.

I had poor luck with Costco hearing aids and don't recommend them.  There are programs your dispenser can program into aids.  My favorite is volume control.  It is handy to make the world quieter with the push of a button.  My dispenser knew how to bill insurance companies so I wouldn't pay for my aids.  Look for someone who knows how to work with insurance companies.

Self employed. I’m covered for the big stuff. Hearing, glasses, teeth I take care of on my own. Which reminds me, my daughter wants braces. And I’m getting checked for glasses next month. Can’t read anything up close. My arms are getting too short.

58 minutes ago, Whiskey Business said:

5 to 10 grand, depending on your situation. Not cheap but worth it. Hearing loss can be very isolating.

I know. Chose Miracle Ear.

My Dad had great success with Miracle Ear.  The big difference is in service and follow-up.  Your hearing will change, and you'll need adjustments and upgrades.  We looked into the VA, but the units they were approving were 5 years behind the technology curve.  Might work for some folks, but not all.  

WB hit the nail on the head; hearing loss can cut you off from life; don't let it.  And buy the replacement insurance; those darned little buggers have a way of finding the toilet, the storm drain, and every other crevice and hole.  

LL

The Siemans one I looked at IIRC had 3 year full manufacturer warranty. Seller would service and adjust for life. Replace tube for life. ( life of unit???) That was standard. I didn’t go into much else beyond those terms.

She let did me leave, wear it for a good couple of hours away from the place while I ate lunch, went and worked a bit, took phone calls both with phone to my ear and on my vans Bluetooth. I couldn’t get over the difference in the Bluetooth calls. One annoyance was hair rustling when adjusting my hat. Another was they irritated my ear. She did say it wasn’t exactly final tuned. I will say it was like mono to stereo.

1 minute ago, Whiskey Business said:

Miracle ear calls me up every four months for maintenance.

Replacement insurance came in handy recently. They are tiny and easy to lose.

Conversing with family, priceless.

I don’t have a clue what my family says sometimes. Now you have to admit, there is some value in that!

Reminds me of a story about an old man who went to Doctor for hearing aids.  6 months later, he met his Doctor who asked how he liked his hearing aids?    Great said the old man.  Doctor asked whats your family think of them?   Didn't tell them, but can tell you I have changed my will 4 times since you gave them to me.   GW

I went with the NRA Hearing Program a little over 3 years ago. They will assign you to a local participating audiologist. I got high end hearing aids at a substantial discount. I also received 3 yrs of batteries and other perks that even surprised the audiologist. Used the 3 year warranty on several occasions. I am totally satisfied with my experience.

All hearing aids have a 30 day no questions asked return.  Federal law.  Guarantees vary.  Without insurance and paying the tab yourself, they will be expensive.  Ignore the magazine ads for "latest and greatest hearing aids for $300".  Those are just amplifiers.  Hearing aids are digital and programmed to help with your specific hearing loss.  There is no one size fits all.  Hearing aids will help you, but will not give you anything similar to natural hearing.  That is gone.  

I had a pair of Resounds for about 7 years. They worked well but didn’t have Bluetooth. One quit a few months ago and my audiologist recommended I get a new set due to improvements in the technology. Her recommendation was Phonak Brio III and her cost was about $4500. I ended up buying a pair for about $2700 at Costco. They pair to my phone for calls but not streaming music. They have an automatic mode that has worked a lot better than selecting various programs for high noise or soft voices. 

Costco offers about 5 models from various manufacturers.  Some were cheaper than those I purchased. Their audiologists seem to be as knowledgeable as any other I’ve used. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

Hearing aids will help you, but will not give you anything similar to natural hearing.  That is gone.  

YEP!

While we are talking hearing aids, my provider recommended power one batteries.   $5.00 / 6   They last about a week.  I pick up the same battery on Amazon for $15.00 for 60 .    It pays to shop around.    GW             By the way they are P13 battery

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Free to vets at VA, if you have a rating for hearing loss.

Imis

I do and the ones I got from the VA just make everything louder.  I need something to filter out background and miscellaneous static-type noises.  Nothing has worked even a bit on tinnitus.

I’ve been using Oticon hearing aids for about 5 years and they’ve served me well. Contrary to my wife’s beliefs they did nothing to improve my selective hearing loss.

Also using Oticon for both ears - rechargeable and blue tooth for my phone to contro;.  Alsp have a clip adapter that allows me to use phone through the hearing aids which is nice but runs the batteries down a bit faster.  Most times it helps with the ringing after they have been in for a bit - the only problem is finding the perfect fit for the tips.  I have found 6mm on the left and 8mm of the right to be the most comfortable for me.

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I do and the ones I got from the VA just make everything louder.  I need something to filter out background and miscellaneous static-type noises.  Nothing has worked even a bit on tinnitus.

You need to go back.

My VAs (Phonac)  work beautifully and they will upgrade every 4 years.

I am new to hearing aids. Still in my 30 day trial. I have the rechargeable, bluetooth Phonak ones. I am actually quite impressed with them so far. The bluetooth interface with my phone has helped immensely on being able to participate in phone conversations once again.

I have the Siemens and they do a respectable job. As important as the hearing aid brand is the provider who does the tuning to match your specific case. Mine have several channels so one is set for straight ahead conversation like talking to your spouse sitting across from you in a noisy restaurant, one is for tv watching, one is for hunting so I can hear but the shot sound is dampened, and of course one for regular use.

Here's my advice without my aids I hear absolutely nothing. Start at Cosco. They have a 180 day trial period. Try several brands IMO 30 to 45 days is plenty. Don't expect to be happy without going back for several adjustments. A lot depends on your audeogram. I highly recommend a behind the ear RIC. I'm a big Signa (formally siemens) fan boy. 

First set was Siemans, lasted about four years. the second set I'm on now are signia's (Siemans). rechargeable, put'em in the charger over night and ready to go in the morning. About 3 grand if I remember correctly. Over the ear type, have had one speaker fail already, replaced no charge. my loss is in the mid voice range( about in the wife's vocal range, figures). So far nothing has worked on the tinnitus though. My selective hearing switch broke at age 50, still no control over it.:rolleyes:<_<:blush:

Archived