SASS Wire Forum

WTB Hawes/Sauer 357 - New Member

Ozark Okie

** Not so new member to SASS now, with two events behind me, but still looking for one of these pistols.....need it to shoot for the next few weeks. Just wondering if anything may have changed, in terms of availability since I posted in January **

Purchased a Hawes Sauer pistol locally that I like the look and feel of;  a Hawers/Sauer 357 Western Marshall. While it may not become my regular shooter, I would like to buy another one. If anyone out there has one gathering dust, or knows of one, I'd be interested in hearing from you.  

This is a picture of the one I bought and would like to buy another of.  

Hawes Sauer Western Marshall Jan 2019.jpg

Cowboys, thank you for the feedback. I appreciate the information, and

I will be checking gun shows. The one I have is blued and I'd like to get one that matches.

Also appreciate any information about user experiences, likes/dislikes. Thanks  

As you already know they have recessed cylinders. They are hard to check to see if they are on a empty cylinder.

I use a dowel rod. Put it down the barrel . Mark it with a green marker.

Put a shell in it . Then mark it with a red marker.

That is the easiest way I found to check the cylinder. 

17 hours ago, Ozark Okie said:

Also appreciate any information about user experiences, likes/dislikes. Thanks  

Used them when I started in 1998. Bought all I could find in pawn shops, 357's, 44 mag and 45's. Even some 22lr-22 mag. Still have 8 or 10 around somewhere. The only thing I didn't like, and didn't notice at first, was the length of the hammer throw. The only weaknesses were the early ones had a small diameter pin that the pawl rode on and would sometimes break. But it was easy to drill to a larger size and replace the pin with a piece of drill stem. Also seemed easy to strip the screw holding the ejector housing in place. But they are hell for stout.

Thank you,  all...good information. John B. I have contacted the seller in Pa, waiting to hear back. Bailey, good suggestion about the dowel to check for empty chamber..I will use it. Evil and Goody, let me know if you find extras lying around. Also Goody...I'm happy to know about the pawl pin and to replace it with a larger one. Of course, all of this just increases my interest. Thanks. 

Hey MTJ, thanks for the additional information. I can see how the cylinder recess could be turned off.  Is there an advantage to doing that other than being able to see the cartridge rim? is there any potential issue of slightly increasing the space between rear of cylinder and frame....guessing not since it sounds like you have done it multiple times.  I'm intrigued by the gun and continuing to look for another one. Happen to be in Houston this weekend and will check out Pasadena gun show.  Thanks again.

OO

There  is no danger in turning the cylinder.  It's very easy to see as you turn.  It sure makes it easy to see the empty cylinder.  I've turned both blued and nickel plated cylinders without incident.  Good luck finding a mate.

MTJ

• 1 month later...

Giving this a bump to see if anything may have changed in terms of availability since I posted in January. 

I do need another one to shoot for the next few weeks. Thanks

Archived