SASS Wire Forum

Lee's Gunslinger spring kit or Wolff Spring kit (cimarron 1851 conversion)

Carolina Drifter

It seems I've seen similar topics covered before but my search came up empty.

I'm looking into getting some spring kits for my Cimarron 1851 conversions.  Is there anyone that has used either or even tried both of these kits mind telling me your experience, preference etc.  I've noticed with the Gunslinger kit they removed material from each side of the spring leaving a thin center strip and the Wolff spring kit is the exact opposite, they removed the center material with a long slot cutout in the center but leaving the outside edge of the material. 

This is my first time looking into this type of spring kit considering all my other pistol models have been Vaqueros so any input is welcome.

Thanks,

CD

Hands down the very best cone from a company called smith industries. They’re like the led gundlinger profile. I stay away from the Wolff ones. The split design has been known to break. Had a buddy slice up his hand once

20 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I've got the Wolf mainspring in my open tops right now, it's excellent. The wire bolt/trigger spring that comes in the kit is not strong enough though. 

what did you use instead?  I notice Wolff and Lee's Gunslinger kits both offer a package deal with the main spring and the trigger wire spring option.

Just now, Carolina Drifter said:

what did you use instead?  I notice Wolff and Lee's Gunslinger kits both offer a package deal with the main spring and the trigger wire spring option.

I put the factory one back in it. 

My brother broke the main spring in his tuned Smoke Wagon.  Put the Wolff spring in and it went back to feeling like a stock gun.  Replaced with Lee's spring and went back to the way it felt when he received it from Longhunter.

16 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Hands down the very best cone from a company called smith industries. They’re like the led gundlinger profile. I stay away from the Wolff ones. The split design has been known to break. Had a buddy slice up his hand once

Where can one buy these? A link would be really handy.

10 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Not wanting to hijack Drifter's thread, but I'm very interested in finding the same thing for my Pietta 1860's.

The Wolf mainspring will work, but you may need to file/grind the tip a little so it doesn't rub the frame.

53 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Not wanting to hijack Drifter's thread, but I'm very interested in finding the same thing for my Pietta 1860's.

No worries Marshal, if my thread can help you as well by all means ask away. 

CD

If you are going to order from Wolff, 2 sets or more for the same type of gun. Call Wolff directly, and ask that the springs all be 'pulled' from the same lot run-as there can/will be a variance with mixed lots.

https://www.gunsprings.com/

OLG

Before I retired, when doing action work on Uberti built guns, I replaced the Uberti Trigger/Bolt spring with the Pietta SA Trigger/Bolt spring.  Lighter than the Uberti but positive.  I prefer the Lee's Gunsmithing spring kit, available from Brownells.  Very nice Main Spring that does not "stack."  You will need to eliminate any drag in the hammer travel for best results.  Another good Main Spring is available from VTI Gun Parts.  Both may require fitting to eliminate any contact between the head of the spring and the back radius of the hammer.

If the timing is correct, the bolt rises far enough and the bolt is directly fit to the cylinder notches, the gun will not "Throw By" with a lighter T/B spring.  Your first step however, with a Uberti Open Top is to correct the Barrel to Arbor fit.  The fit is not correct out of the box.  If the Barrel to Arbor fit is not corrected, you will be chasing your tail to get the gun to run right.  I suggest you peruse the Tutorial by Larsen E. Pettifogger, available on "The Open Range."  You will first need to polish the inside of the bore in the Barrel Lug and Polish the Arbor for an easy fit to determine how bad the Arbor fit really is.

23 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Where can one buy these? A link would be really handy.

Sorry I missed this. I don’t think they have a website. I have a cad somewhere, but I can’t remember where I put it. Fortunately, VTI carries them. I don’t know the part number off hand, but a call will straighten you out. Sorry I wasn’t more help

2 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Sorry I missed this. I don’t think they have a website. I have a cad somewhere, but I can’t remember where I put it. Fortunately, VTI carries them. I don’t know the part number off hand, but a call will straighten you out. Sorry I wasn’t more help

Well you're just going to have to do better from now on :P

JK, I'll peruse VTI's site; just ordered some new open top firing pins(A2 hardened).

3 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Well you're just going to have to do better from now on :P

JK, I'll peruse VTI's site; just ordered some new open top firing pins(A2 hardened).

I'll work on it. That is a problem with ordering the main spring from VTI. I think they go for $16, yet somehow every time I order one, I get a bill north of $100

For those who are not happy with the round wire bolt/trigger spring that Wolff offers they also offer a flat spring for several model revolvers. I have used them in Uberti and Pietta revolvers without a failure.

• 2 months later...

Finally... Some results!

Updated from my personal experience.

So I ordered some lighter Wolff springs (slot cut out of center) to try a while back and finally got around to installing them in my 1851's.  I did have to file them down a tad as they were a bit long.  Got them installed and they were a little lighter than factory but to my disappointment, not what I was hoping.  I'm not talking down on them, I've used Wolff many times before with success, I just didn't get the results I wanted in this case with these specific springs.  I know there are plenty of tricks to lighten them even more but I took this as a opportunity to try and compare the Lee's gunslinger springs as well (hour Glass cut springs). So I ordered a set of Lee's springs from Longhunter.   I got them in today and went to install them and just as the Wolff springs had to file em down a tad as they were a bit long.  But once installed on the first hammer pull I started grinning ear to ear! These had the feel/results I was looking for.  Lightened up drastically over factory, and definitely a lot lighter than the Wolff springs.  Very noticeable differences.  So that's my results.

Not trying to persuade anyone.  Just sharing my experience in case anyone was curious such as I was. 

CD

I ordered spare stock springs from taylors & co. Used a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut a slot in the mainspring and on the trigger spring I ground it into an hourglass shape. going slow and only removing a little at a time. I like to tinker though. Getting 1 gun how I wanted it wasnt difficult. getting the second one to feel exactly like the first was a bit more of a challenge. 

14 hours ago, Carolina Drifter said:

Finally... Some results!

Updated from my personal experience.

So I ordered some lighter Wolff springs (slot cut out of center) to try a while back and finally got around to installing them in my 1851's.  I did have to file them down a tad as they were a bit long.  Got them installed and they were a little lighter than factory but to my disappointment, not what I was hoping.  I'm not talking down on them, I've used Wolff many times before with success, I just didn't get the results I wanted in this case with these specific springs.  I know there are plenty of tricks to lighten them even more but I took this as a opportunity to try and compare the Lee's gunslinger springs as well (hour Glass cut springs). So I ordered a set of Lee's springs from Longhunter.   I got them in today and went to install them and just as the Wolff springs had to file em down a tad as they were a bit long.  But once installed on the first hammer pull I started grinning ear to ear! These had the feel/results I was looking for.  Lightened up drastically over factory, and definitely a lot lighter than the Wolff springs.  Very noticeable differences.  So that's my results.

Not trying to persuade anyone.  Just sharing my experience in case anyone was curious such as I was. 

CD

Now take them into the garage and bust a few caps just to make sure they aren’t too light. 

I'll definitely do that when I get the chance.  I'm confident they will be fine based on what I see and feel compared to others I've worked on.  but live fire is the best tell all test.

CD

Archived