SASS Wire Forum

Camera for Videoing Practice and at Matches

Dream Chaser, SASS #79316

In the past I have used my phone for videoing friends at matches but would like to have a video camera that does not cost me an arm and a leg.  In a perfect world it would also have a remote control to easily use in practice.  Need something easy for me to be able to download to a computer and/or upload to facebook or youtube.  Doubt I do anything fancy like editing.   I apologize if this topic has been covered many times but my search for information did not bring any to my attention.  Appreciate any ideas on what to get and what to avoid.  You may pay for what you get but under $300 might be okay but way less would be even better for me. 

I tried using a GoPro for a while, but the remote control from the phone was all but worthless.

I recently got a Bluetooth clicker/button/remote thing-a-ma-jig that seems to work pretty well at controlling the phone remotely.

However, of course, nothing is better than a pard controlling the phone and pointing it at you.

I agree with August. 

The range on the wireless is pretty limited.  If I'm not wearing it I usually set it up on a tripod and leave it running.

Here's a link to a refurbished one from GoPro.  I think this model is the most useful and easy to use. (I have several)

https://shop.gopro.com/refurbished/refurbished-hero5-session/CHDNH-B16.html

The Go Pro Hero 7 has worked "Ok" for me for the most part.  When researching pay some attention to the frame rate of the camera, and go with the highest frame rate you can afford/find.  Realize that any video/motion picture is just a string of individual pictures strung together, so the higher the frame rate (the more individual pictures per unit time) the more detail you will be able to see when you slow things down.  My frustration with cameras in the 30 FPS range have been that the one thing I really wanted to see happens between frames when I am reviewing the video.

F.S.

I'm using several cheap Chinese knockoffs to make video of our matches.   Both less than $100 when I bought them, even less now. All are capable of 1080HD.   I set them up on tripods out in front of the shooters.  I also have a pair or iVUE Horizon Pro camera glasses.   Love them.  I also have a GoPro Hero but it's a pain in the butt and does not shoot video any better than the cheap cameras and the sound recording is worse.

Here is video recorded on the Chinese knockoff cameras.

I use a Canon Powershot pocket camera, an old ELPH300HS for most of the videos I make.  You can find similar models on Amazon or at your local camera store for $200 or less.  The small size is wonderful, and it can take stills as well as videos.  

I used several cheapie tripods from Walmart but learned you get what you pay for in a tripod, so I finally invested in a Manfrotto, and added the universal pan head for quick adjustments.  The tripod is worth more than the camera, but it was still worth it.  I have an adapter that allows me to mount my iPhone on the tripod also.  Videos made with hand held or hat mounted cameras produce a lot of extraneous motion that I find distracting.  Connecting either one to my computer is easy, just use the USB cable that came with the camera or iPhone, and the download proceeds automatically.

If you don't at least trim your video clips to preserve the good stuff and get rid of the useless stuff, you will be uploading a lot of trash.  You don't need an  aftermarket video app to do that.  Most computers, both Mac and PCs, have some photo editing capabilities .  Using iMovie on my Mac was easy to learn (YouTube instruction videos) and produces a better product.

IMG-8210.thumb.JPG.c522444411418b946199c4154c93d2e3.JPG

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements video software on desktop PC running with Windows 7 system.  

This is one of my more elaborate video.

You can see the other two cameras I use on tripods out front.   I put them in their waterproof cases with holes drilled for microphone pickup.   The cases obviously won't protect cameras from a direct hit but will hold up to lead splatter.  I've picked up the lead hitting them on occasion. 

I have used them all,  the best so far that I am currently using is an IPAD with a keyboard - Works great and is very easy to start, stop, delete, send to a cloud in the sky , or Youtube.

I use it at practice, monthly, majors, home, just anywhere I want great videos or pictures.

Archived