SASS Wire Forum

Kits available to make holster?

Carl

Hello, I remember a bunch of years ago, some websites had kits available to make your own western style holster. I recently purchased a Uberti to play with, and was hoping to find one of those kits to make a holster and belt for the gun. I went to the website, and the kits are now no where to be found. Are there any companies that I can get a pre cut kit from? I know it's cheaper to buy the stuff and make the holster from scratch, but this isn't for competition, and I would rather pay a couple dollars more and skip the hours of cutting. Thanks in advance! (if you know of any bulk .45 colt brass lots, I'll take them too!)

Tandy is no longer offering their kit.  Hobby Lobby has one.  The link for that one is listed below.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Leather-Crafting/Kits/Wild-West-Leather-Holster-Kit/p/142069?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxLf5oMLt3wIVga_ICh3nDAgHEAQYASABEgJD9vD_BwE

Tandy still has a great "how to" booklet that I own and still refer to after making holsters for Cowboy Action for over 15 years.  That link is listed below.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/how-to-make-holsters-book

Yeah, I'm bummed. I think it was like $100 or something, but it was a belt, holster, the small leather strap to make bullet loops... etc. For the cash it was pretty nice, depending on your finishing ability though obviously. 

Tandy had them for years so I'm not surprised that local Tandy stores would still have some in stock.  I think they have just recently been discontinued.

Carl, you may try calling your closest Tandy store and see if they still have one in stock.  If they are too far away, they would gladly ship it to you, if they have one. 

I'm still upset that they closed our Tandy store in Chattanooga.  Knoxville is our closest store now.  

Another thought:  Someone on Ebay may have one of the original Tandy kits (NIB).  I'd check, but work has block our access to Ebay.

Check the following website:

www.zackwhite.com

He has a few more options than Tandy and there is a Western gunslinger belt kit for $65.  

As a leather maker, I have ordered stuff from them before and have been very happy.

Tandy sold the holster and belt to "Real Leather". Dont laugh, I'm still using a set I built 20+ years ago when I bought my first SAA (Still have it too). It was much cheaper back then! For the price, there are better options but if you want to customize it you can. 

Thank you all. I will probably do one another time for fun, but since I picked up the full kit complete this time, I'll probably spend my leather skill time making another pocket holster for my new CCW gun.

Brass: I saw the ad for the starline, but I'm probably only going to be able to retain 75% of the brass since some is shot with a lever gun. I'd really rather not pay more than $0.10/piece or so, otherwise reloading it is kind of cost prohibitive. Not including brass, I can load 1,000 lead cowboy rounds for about $155. I can buy reloaded hollow point .45 Colt hunting/defense rounds for $0.45 /each, so if I had to pay $0.20/$.25 for a piece of brass, I think it would be worth it to buy it with a bullet in it, and reload them as I go. I dunno though, that's me. I'm not into brand new brass. If I only shot revolvers I guess it would be okay, but I don't.

Carl: I'll send you 150 pieces of 45 Colt brass with your other package. My wife switched to 45CS so I have a bunch I will probably never need as both the kids and I shoot 44-40.

Archived