SASS Wire Forum

Joining local clubs...

Croc Holiday

Hey All...

Another newbie question...  Is there a benefit to joining a local club?  I have a few near me.  I’ve been to two and both are great and I’d like to alternate between the two.  Got me wondering if there’s a benefit to joining a club since being in a club isn’t required.  Thoughts?

Hello ,  

My theory is ,  and  I  got  it from  Dragon  Hill Dave ,  you gotta  support  your  local clubs so they are there when  you  wanna  go shoot .  

CS  

A couple of the clubs around here will offer a discount if you pay a "membership" fee. $15.00 fee and then all your shoots are $10.00. If you don't join then all the shoots are $15.00 hence it pays for itself within 3 shoots.

Wow! A $15 club membership. I joined the local sportsman club that sponsors the CAS shooting and pay an annual fee. I pay to access the club all year so maybe I’m talking about something different than the OP. 

I have always supported multiple clubs. If I feel that they are working  to protect our rights and expanding all shooting sports I gladly pay the membership fee. I also do my best to help out as much as I can. 

8 hours ago, John E.B. Rawton said:

Wow! A $15 club membership. I joined the local sportsman club that sponsors the CAS shooting and pay an annual fee. I pay to access the club all year so maybe I’m talking about something different than the OP. 

Joining the actual range and joining the cowboy club that uses a particular range are 2 different things. I'm a member of my local rifle/sportsman club. The one cowboy club uses that facility and i'm a member of them also. 2 separate entities. 

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

A couple of the clubs around here will offer a discount if you pay a "membership" fee. $15.00 fee and then all your shoots are $10.00. If you don't join then all the shoots are $15.00 hence it pays for itself within 3 shoots.

Just to clarify a bit. I belong to the Tusco rifle club. It's $100 a year to have unlimited access to their ranges and activities. The Tusco Long Riders use the same facility that i'm a member of. I Joined them also. it's $5 to join and $10 for each shoot they put on if you're a member. So first match of the year that I attend I pay $15 to join and shoot. after that each match cost me $10 to shoot. If I didnt join it would be $15 to compete at each match. 

So to answer the OP's question. The benefit to you is a monetary savings if you shoot there more than once or twice in a year. The benefit to the club is the added # of members which may go to help keep them going. 

6 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Joining the actual range and joining the cowboy club that uses a particular range are 2 different things. I'm a member of my local rifle/sportsman club. The one cowboy club uses that facility and i'm a member of them also. 2 separate entities. 

Just to clarify a bit. I belong to the Tusco rifle club. It's $100 a year to have unlimited access to their ranges and activities. The Tusco Long Riders use the same facility that i'm a member of. I Joined them also. it's $5 to join and $10 for each shoot they put on if you're a member. So first match of the year that I attend I pay $15 to join and shoot. after that each match cost me $10 to shoot. If I didnt join it would be $15 to compete at each match. 

So to answer the OP's question. The benefit to you is a monetary savings if you shoot there more than once or twice in a year. The benefit to the club is the added # of members which may go to help keep them going. 

Correction.. Tusco Long Riders charge $10 membership, $10 to shoot first time for the year, $20 Total... then it's $10 every month after that.

If you shoot just one time it's $15 to shoot, if you show up again, you can pay $15 again, then we automatically make you a "Member" of the Cowboy Club.. Then it's $10 per Month after that.. Just wanted to clarify...

and yes... a lot of folks don't compare Apples to Apples... Membership to the Cowboy Club is different than being a Member to the Rifle Club. Being a Member to the Tusco Long Riders does not give you Membership to the Rifle Club. Rifle Club Membership is on it's own.

Our CAS club is a shooting discipline of the main sportsman's club.  Our cowboys have a dedicated range with false front buildings, covered loading tables, and their own small clubhouse.  We joined our main club figuring those dues help in some small way to pay the electric bill and help with other maintenance expenses for our range.  When we have the state match, our club has to shut down some of their other activities in order for us to park campers in the field and to allow us use of the main clubhouse. 

Our cowboy club has no membership fee.  Shooters pay $10 to shoot and proceeds go to the main club.  We submit an annual budget estimating expenses for range maintenance, target paint, props, etc.  We do as much of the range upkeep as we can ourselves.

If I lived closer to any of the clubs that I regularly shoot at I would support them with my volunteer labor. Since I have a fair drive both directions I support them monetarily. No one is getting rich off CAS, especially the folks putting on the shoots. I make sure they know I'm grateful through my participation and paid membership.

Archived