SASS Wire Forum

Northeast Regional

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I believe it was the divisional that SASS will no longer back. I do think clubs in the north east can put in for the regional. IT looks like it could change clubs year to year.

this is a quote from the Mason-Dixon Stampede thread. I did not link to the whole thread to save you from digging to find this quote.

"

The Mason Dixon Committee thought long and hard about it, and decided not to submit a proposal to be the 2019 North East Regional.  SASS was only looking for a host for a single year,  (Why is, of course, the subject of potentially endless debate :P), and after the unexpected termination of the Divisional Matches, we decided that we would take a step back, finish making the improvements we started in 2017, take the opportunity to change the dates of the match to the Summer, and just host a dang fine match for all who are lucky enough to be able to attend."

As the club contact for a club in the northeast region, I received an email from SASS stating that they were looking for a club to host the 2019 Northeast Regional.  A few other specifics were given as well as a date that said applications should be sent in.  I can only assume that all clubs in the region received the same email.  Now we can only wait and see what 2019 holds.  It's a tough job to find clubs willing to host these sanctioned matches.  I can speak from experience.  Several years ago our club opted to no longer host the Pennsylvania State Match.  We were exhausted and our committee was very small.  Despite the best attempts of Slipnoose, no other club in the state stepped forward and for one season there was not a state match.  As a result, many cowboys and cowgirls from our club and others did step up and offer their assistance if our club would renew their commitment to host the match.  Hopefully, if there is no regional in 2019, we can offer our support to the cowboys and cowgirls that step up to host one in 2020.

The Great Nor'Easter has been the northeast regional for many many years.  For it to be suddenly turned down is rather ridiculous.  It's akin to saying that EoT can't be at Founder's Ranch.

That being said, I do think that they could have still held the Nor'Easter, even if it wasn't a "sanctioned" match.  Not holding the match cuz someone else said you can't call it the regional is just as silly.

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The Great Nor'Easter has been the northeast regional for many many years.  For it to be suddenly turned down is rather ridiculous.  It's akin to saying that EoT can't be at Founder's Ranch.

That being said, I do think that they could have still held the Nor'Easter, even if it wasn't a "sanctioned" match.  Not holding the match cuz someone else said you can't call it the regional is just as silly.

No it's not silly... In my opinion.

Club exhaustion is real... Folks need breaks cuz in reality, lots of folks talk, but few truly help.

Phantom

There is so much that goes into being a sanctioned match that most people never see or even think about. I would never fault the few people at any club who actually do the work to put on a match for not wanting to beat the burden. And as far as SASS “refusing” to sanction the match, I’d bet good money that there is more to that story than the person who posted it knows. There are several requirements which a club ant the match must meet to be sanctioned. 

It costs quite a bit more to host a SASS sanctioned event vs. non sanctioned event. The 2 advertisements in the CC are $466 each, then $5 per shooter goes back to SASS headquarters for a sate championship I'm told a regional is $7 per shooter. The more shooters that attend the match the more it costs and the work increases. Considering most clubs are only a member or two away from shutting down we are in trouble as an organization. People aren't stepping up and taking on the responsibility to run matches like in years past. All of my suggestions seem to fall upon moot ears. 

It was my understanding that SASS refused to sanction the regional in NH. The same club as always had put in a request and was denied. JMO

To add to what Assassin said, the SASS Northeast Regional also has to give free entries to the male and female state champions from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, DC, Delaware and New Jersey.  That's potentially 30 unpaid entries, although I don't think DC had any SASS State Champions.

The bottom line is that the shooters in the northeast are waiting for a club to step up and agree to host the SASS Northeast Regional.  Every day that goes by makes it more unlikely that it will be held in 2019. 

I feel for all the shooters in our region that don't get to shoot in a Regional, but especially for those SASS State Champions that don't get their free entry in the
SASS Northeast Regional that they earned.  Heaven knows that I am not one of them, but I do shoot with them and respect what they have earned.

54 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Since Big Irons no longer  is in the Mid East region I was hoping they would consider Guns of August being the new NE Regional 

This!!!

the North East region is by it's design terrible, I know that it was voted on, but the choices stunk.  Guns of august, IE Big Irons is as far as you can get from the northeastern states, and vice versa... just my 2 cents,,,,   I see this being a problem until it is reconfigured...

42 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

the North East region is by it's design terrible, I know that it was voted on, but the choices stunk.  Guns of august, IE Big Irons is as far as you can get from the northeastern states, and vice versa... just my 2 cents,,,,   I see this being a problem until it is reconfigured...

I'll agree with that.   I have never understood how all those mid-Atlantic states got grouped into the "Northeast."

9 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I'll agree with that.   I have never understood how all those mid-Atlantic states got grouped into the "Northeast."

and with ohio!!! sheesh!

11 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

SASS stated they tried to make the new regions based on number of active shooters 

53 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

SASS stated they tried to make the new regions based on number of active shooters 

That's why EOT is in New Mexico, the epicenter of the active shooters. :)

On 1/14/2019 at 6:52 PM, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

The whole thing is screwy....when I started in SASS in 2005, the Thurmont Rangers was home of the Northeast Regional and then they took on the Eastern Divisional mess and now that was canceled. Truth being told the whole northeast amount of states is bull crap. I think that there should be a Northeast group, mid- Atlantic group and then a southeast group made up of all the states on the eastern coast. If I were to set it up i would be as follows....New York thru Maine would be the Northeast, New Jersey thru Virginia would be the Mid-Atlantic and North Carolina thru Florida would be the Southeast.

Part of the initial logic for the number of states in each of the Regional's, was based on the number of SASS members in each state. The attempt was to try and make the number of SASS shooters as equal in each region as possible. This was difficult and a good idea but it created groups of states that were not considered part of know "regional" geographically. Some regions had a lot of states while others did not. 

52 minutes ago, Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator said:

Part of the initial logic for the number of states in each of the Regional's, was based on the number of SASS members in each state. The attempt was to try and make the number of SASS shooters as equal in each region as possible. This was difficult and a good idea but it created groups of states that were not considered part of know "regional" geographically. Some regions had a lot of states while others did not. 

Some states you can cross in an hour, others it can take a day. Location is paramount when setting up regionals. If the shoot is not close to the center of the region it's a moot point. This is why the divisional experiment failed. In Wyoming we are closer to 2 other regionals rather than the NW regional, depending where one lives in the state. The shooters need the option of attending their closest regional.

I heard from a few shooters south of NY/NJ that they were concerned about transporting firearms through these states. As we all know, it is perfectly legal to transport firearms through any state in the union as long as they are locked up, out of your control.

Those of us that live in ME, NH, VT, MA, RI and CT are very comfortable transporting through NY/NJ as we need to go through these states to get anywhere else in the USA.

I would think the Northeast Shoot should be in PA. Just about centrally located.

There is no Great Nor' Easter this year, either as a Regional nor an annual. 

there are several reason, one being financial, as mentioned earlier there are the advertising, fees to SASS, the cost per shooter to the club, and the number of free shoots.  Last year the shoot ran a deficit of $1000.00   With no bankroll, to cover that, we were in a pickle.  

There was some no, yes, no from SASS just after last years match as to if the Regional were to be hosted by NEWS.  In the end it was a no.  Which was of some mutual agreement.  After hearing no the group decided to not host a shoot, then were asked to do so, but the die had been cast. 

There was discussion of doing an annual, the club where the event is held would not lower the cost per shooter even with using less bays, less days etc so again, cost made this option a no go.  

Also mentioned above is the number of hours it takes to put on a large match is daunting, the primary work crew last year for the GNE consisted of 8 or 9 cowboys.  That's a lot of steel, props to collect, get into working order, set up, and tear down and return.  

I hope there is a club in the North East Region who can take on this endeavor and I will be there too help! 

Archived