SASS Wire Forum

Sick of the NRA? Read this.

Sedalia Dave

Long read but worth it.

Sick of the NRA? Read this.

This was written by NRA Board Member Duane Liptak. It’s a long read, but if you’re in the ranks of those who are pro-gun but anti-NRA, it’s worth the read.

So, it’s relatively popular to bash the NRA right now, and we have a lot of folks in our own community that are happy to jump on that bandwagon. I get it. I don’t like where we are at with the 2A situation, either, and I wish the NRA could yell “Shall not be infringed,” from the mountaintops. But, through my involvement with the org over the past years, and the insight into the DC and state level situations I’ve unfortunately had to gain while lobbying and managing lobbying efforts, I also understand some things that make me appreciate the strengths of what the NRA actually brings to us, and I felt compelled to share that as a comment on some posts that decried the current state of the NRA. Some folks urged me to make it sharable, so I’m doing so, with some cleaning up of my language.  I get that some folks will call me full of it, or claim “the NRA is in full damage control” or whatever, but this isn’t an NRA statement. This is a statement from me, a very, very zealous advocate for extreme libertarian gun rights, with an understanding of the current political landscape. Take it as you will, but please put aside your prejudices for just a moment to read, because if we can’t get everyone pushing in the same direction, we can’t beat the disarm America movement, because they are more than willing to get together to achieve our ruin.

This is a good read, lots of info.

I have a love/hate thing with the NRA. 

I realize that it has limited resources, but my view from here in California, which I think, along with New York, should be the main fire lines, that the NRA is busy making sure the candles are out on the birthday cake and ignoring the raging brush fires. It often seems, from here,  that the NRA is only interested in the easy wins, and lets other groups do a lot of the heavy lifting.  Groups like the GOA, FPC, SAF, which the author dismissively praises with faint damns, and by implication ALL other pro-2nd Amendment groups, as mostly doing nothing but shouting "Shall not be infringed!"  We need the "grass roots activation" of the GOA, and the "fantastic legal work" of SAF and FPC which the author both praises and dismisses in the same breath.  

Basically, we need to get over our sectarian infighting, and join  together.  And not just the groups, but the various shooting sports.  Time for the guys with the $10,000 doubles to realize that the guy with the beat up break open sitting in his blind and the kid with the single shot .22 are just as important as they are.  And time for the guys with the beat up break open sitting in their blinds and the kids with the single shot .22 to quit denigrating as elitist the guys with the $10,000 doubles.  "Shooting sports" span the range from the kid with his first Daisy air rifle, to the $5,000 Feinwerkbau air rifle, through the airsoft and paintball crowd, IDPA, CAS, legal hunters of all kinds, casual plinkers.  We are all in it together.  We are all under attack.

ADDED:

The author also repeatedly says things along the lines of "No one in the building supports (fill in the  blank)," yet the NRA as a corporate entity does NOT oppose (fill in the blank).  There has been too much compromise in the name of political expedience, which is exactly the strategy of the antis.  Slowly chip away with small "reasonable" restrictions.  Now we have open calls to ban all semi-auto firearms.  We have a new, and even more draconian AWB introduced in the US Senate.   This is what "compromise" has bought us.

I have been a Benefactor Member of the NRA for over 60 years. I have also worked with the other groups. I appreciate them all but ONLY the NRA has been effective over the decades. Many of the others are noisy and vociferous. However, as an early life member of three state R&Ps, I can tell you that only the NRA has been constantly on my side and that of the rest of us. tHE

Mud Marine!!  I am an NRA life member.  I support them completely with the exception of their recent compromises on the bump stock thing.

I WILL say that the Second Amendment Foundation has been more effective at the state level recently and is THE MOST effective when it comes to combatting bad legislation in the courts!!  While the NRA lobbies congress and state legislatures most effectively, SAF will file suit in every court with jurisdiction on behalf of individuals and organizations without fear or compromise!!  They are rabid litigators and don't appear to have any sort of back-up gear. AND THEY WIN!!!!  OFTEN!!!

Gun Owners of America is another "No Compromise" organization that challenges on the state and local level and they seem to be more willing to challenge state and local legislation in California at the moment.  As others have said, it appears the NRA has let things slide in California, choosing to fight battles that they know they have a better chance of winning!!

In a recent NRA phone call, seeking contributions and donations, I respectfully questioned the caller about efforts to work with other organizations to present a united front!!  He seemed to agree that this was a great idea!!  I specifically mentioned SAF and GOA and called on those in charge to seek unity and combine efforts!!!

I KNOW that I'm not wrong!!!  Any effort on our part is NOT wasted!!  Here is where MORE is BETTER!!!

You can always judge the effectiveness of your attack from the screams of your enemy.  Long live the NRA!!!  SCJ

• 1 month later...

The NRA is effective partially because they don't get into cases where they'd lose and create a negative precedent.

Archived