SASS Wire Forum

Ithaca/SKB models?

I have a Ithaca/SKB that has different barrel and forearm from original (200 barrel and 100 forearm).  Shoots good and looks good. But I was wondering if identifiable from serial number or other piece of information from receiver only.    S 520xxxx...I am thinking S may designate 200 series.  Although different serial numbers barrel and receiver do have the S marking where forearm does not.  I am not sure how common barrel, forearms, receivers can match up but this one does.  My goal is to find beaver forearm and matching hardware for this barrel/receiver but I know not such an easy task.

Billy,

All of the Ithaca /SKB's of the period that we use in CAS are based on the same receiver.

They made some minor changes (sometimes not so minor, like single to double lug)

on that receiver throughout the years that it was produced, but the basic design of the receiver was unchanged.

Each gun was hand finished and the barrels were fit to the receivers one at a time, so each one is slightly different.

YES, sometimes a barrel will interchange with another gun and sometimes it wont...

But there is No Way that you can predetermine IF a barrel will fit on a receiver by using the Model or serial number.

You just have to try it and see how close it is and if it can be made to work.

As you know, there are two types of forearms, splinter and beavertail.

And two types of forearm Hardware, ejector and non-ejector..........

For your situation I think the easiest solution would be to have a new wood forearm made to fit the hardware that is on your gun.

Thanks Sam and Chuck...

Having several SKBs between Sassy and I to examine, I have noticed there is often difference in shape of cocking pieces. But this could be in one particular's smith work to another.  Some are more pointed where another may be very rounded.  And, years ago I did have one that had entirely different lug system than most seen today.

Beaver to fit my hardware would be great, but where is this found?

As to S, could it be that designated the beaver type forearm/hardware?  Doubt it, but if Chuck has S on 150 and we know most 200's had S then just maybe.

Billy,

The "pointy" cocking levers are on guns with Ejectors (like the 200E)

and the "rounded" are non ejector (like the 100)

37 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Beaver to fit my hardware would be great, but where is this found?

Go to the SASS Merchant Corner, I'm pretty sure there is a vendor there that can fix you up.

And there are plenty of other Stock Makers that could do the job.

Or go Low Tech and put a leather wrap on it.....

My 280 has a "S" Prefix and a beavertail fore end.

Billy I have 3 SKB’s 100, 150, and a new uncut 200. The 100 has a beaver tail fore end and the serial number on the fore end is different from the receiver.  I never noticed it till just now

6 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Billy,

The "pointy" cocking levers are on guns with Ejectors (like the 200E)

and the "rounded" are non ejector (like the 100)

And just when I thought it a 200 due to S.....it has the more rounded levers. Such a mystery. :D

2 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

Billy I have 3 SKB’s 100, 150, and a new uncut 200. The 100 has a beaver tail fore end and the serial number on the fore end is different from the receiver.  I never noticed it till just now

Bet the forearm got exchanged on the 100....does it have a serial number starting with S (the beaver on 100)?

1 hour ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Contact SKB. I just bought a beaver tail forend from them for my 200e. They have new manufactured wood.

Just the wood or wood and hardward?

Billy, over on the E selling site there is a Beaver for end with everything you need 

LS1588 Ithaca/SKB 12 gauge is the title. Price is fair considering there are very few parts available. It will take some fitting to the barrels but it will definitely work

Dirt

On 1/13/2019 at 7:28 AM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Didn’t Ace Of Hearts have a post about making custom/replacement stocks a few weeks ago?

edit:

found it

I would still need the hardware and the old fore end to duplicate the in letting. From that point I could make the exterior to the customers specifications.

4 hours ago, Dirt Merchant # 61422 said:

Billy, over on the E selling site there is a Beaver for end with everything you need 

LS1588 Ithaca/SKB 12 gauge is the title. Price is fair considering there are very few parts available. It will take some fitting to the barrels but it will definitely work

Dirt

Thanks Dirt..pricey but maybe not considering.  

4 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I would still need the hardware and the old fore end to duplicate the in letting. From that point I could make the exterior to the customers specifications.

So you could make a beaver forearm, but use my splinter hardware?

You going to Winter Range?

Billy, your splinter hardware does not work for a beavertail , most pieces needed for BT are longer than splinter.

the BT I told u about is pricey but I have sold the iron piece alone for $150 because they were so hard to get and had to pay almost that just to have them on hand. Trust me, buy it

3 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

So you could make a beaver forearm, but use my splinter hardware?

You going to Winter Range?

I can make the wood any shape I desire. The SKB fore end cannot be made longer, but it can surely be made wider.

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I can make the wood any shape I desire. The SKB fore end cannot be made longer, but it can surely be made wider.

Got cha.....I assume the inletting would really not stray much from your set-up for a splinter, just change in your cut/shape of wood.....a wider splinter, so to steak.  cool.

This would certainly save one from investing in the extra hardware.

Archived