SASS Wire Forum

Blizzard of January 2019

Warden Callaway

Electric has blinked off several times in past 2 hours - resetting everything and rebooting the internet controller. 

This is more snow than we've gotten in past several years combined.  I should have put snow blade on loader when they made the predictions but they are always wrong. They were wrong this time too.  First they said 3-5". 

Got 7" here and still snowing.  I guess all the winter wheat planted will be happy.  Me, not so much.  However, we can use a good soaking - een grass and weeds need to drink.

STL Suomi

Wentzville, Mo

So far the storm has curled around us and we have nothing but light rain.  Sever hours of the light rain and my pond is overflowing.  River is up a bit but nothing spectacular.

I haven't measured it here, but it's above the ground clearance of the cars/covers about halfway up the wheels.  I've been wondering if I'll be able to get down the quarter mile of gravel road to the paved road on Monday.  The neighbor down the road that had a plow moved a couple years ago.   Then again, if the paved road doesn't get plowed I ain't going nowhere come Monday.  I've got about a 30 degree dip going down then back up as soon as I get to pavement.

The dog (Border Collie) has been enjoying it.  But she comes back inside with snowballs covering her legs and belly.  Our old Dachshund would have been in way over his head and would be making tunnels underneath.

Angus

Up an inch to 11 inches.  But I'm seeing more in places.   We've been out pushing out our drive that's a half mile long.  So far,  we just have a rough path.  No need to get carried away until it stops snowing.   It was showing snowballs again as I was shooting this video. It's snowing heavy again - almost a white out,  can't seen the trees across the field.  

Six inches on the ground as of now (7:00). 1-3 more predicted after they predicted 1-3 total. I'm leaving for work to plow snow at 3:00am.

Gentle showers in Mid Tenn. Y'all can keep the white stuff. I remember a 14" snowfall in Kansas city when I was a kid, around 1956 I think.

Imis

The evening news showed we were on the south edge of a swath from Columbia Missouri towards Bowling Green Missouri that got 15-20".   The one spot I measured never got up to 12" but I know it was deeper in other places.  It's a very wet snow and the temperature never really got below freezing so I don't know how they factor in slump.  I guess we're lucky it was wet and no wind as there was no drifting.  

I'm trying to remember a snow storm that I think was March of 85. We got hit by a storm and it was bitter cold and high winds.  The roads would drift shut as fast as they were opened up.  Then more snows fell one after another in the week after. I think we got about 20" out of that one but some places would be sweep bare and other places 6 feet deep.  I think St Louis got record amounts of snow. 

We've got about 3" so far. Got called out last night for a while. The outfit that is supposed to clear the roads in here kinda dropped the ball, we got our plow on and started to clear streets and then got a call to stand down, the outfit was on it's way. Hour and a  half later they showed, ran a few circuits and disappeared, no salt put down. Not sure what I'm going to run into when I go out on rounds this morning. Know I've got a bunch of shoveling to do at the mail boxes and around the club house:(<_<:blush:

The county came and plowed the road early on and then came back yesterday and hit it again with motor grader.   They filled heaped up packed snow 4' deep across the entrance to our lane.  I probably pushed a train car worth of snow from the intersection.  

The county road maintenance crews were ahead of the state in our area. They didn't get to the blacktop until yesterday afternoon.  I suspect they put all their effort into I70, US45 and US63. 

There are reports of roof collapses and some 80,000 without power in Columbia. 

Up here on Northeast Ohio we got a dusting!! Not even an inch!! 

Enjoy your snow guys!!!:lol:

Hate to disagree but this is not a blizzard. There is a huge difference between a blizzard and a snow storm. A blizzard is when the wind is blowing 30-40 mph for the entire time it is snowing and you end up with 6-10 foot drifts. This is just a nice level snow. We had around 10" of a nice level snow here in NW Kansas which we seldom get. Our snow normally comes with wind. This snow didn't even close any roads. Last week 4" with 30mph winds closed roads all over the area.

We got 7" here. I'm now taking a break from shoveling and snow blowing. My Father-in-law is transported to dialysis M-W-F and 6:30 am and the transport vehicle isn't 4WD so the driveway has to be cleared.

So far this morning we spent about an hour and a half shoveling snow.  That got us out to the cars, cleared enough snow so I could open the cars to start them up (after clearing snow away from the exhaust pipes) and about 20' behind the cars towards the road.  About 50 yards to go to the road.  Indications are that the entire lane is snowed in.  No visible tracks from anyone.  After lunch I'll head back out to shovel some more then, maybe, see if I can get a car out to the paved road to see what kind of condition that is in.  I'm guessing the paved road will be ok.  Getting there will be the problem.  Getting to work tomorrow is questionable.

Sure wish I'd bought that snowblower at an auction last summer.  :)

Angus

My associate took pity on me and helped with some of the areas this morning. we did the office area together and he got the other two mail box areas. i did the club house( about 180' of walks) and the walk in front of the city water building( the school kids wait for the buses there). the outfit that's supposed to do the roads was back in here about 8:30. We had several damaged areas around the park with one post lamp knocked over and the yard turfed, not sure if it was accidental or not. Had turfed area at the city water building, probably intentional, and someone decided to circuit the post box kiosk for another turfed area.<_<:blush:

Soggy south shore of Lake Erie reporting.

Two inches or thereabouts.

Twice that mid-state and below.

The home folks think Melissa and I live in the frozen Arctic tundra ... seldom is there more than five to seven degrees difference between here and there.

Precip, well, there can be significant differences!

Here in the NW we've received above average rainfall, but it's been too warm and the snow pack in the mountains is well below below what it should be. With all the people that have moved here in the past ten years the water supply is going to be really challenging this summer if we don't get some more of that snow that y'all hate.

The temperature is right at 32°.  It's a sloppy mess where we pushed snow off the road.  The snow on the roofs are sliding off like a heavy blanket slipping off the end of the bed.  One section about 4' of slipping.  I hope the gutters stay on. 

I just measured and the snow has slumped to 6" at the place were it was 11" yesterday.  

I'm hoping for a good mushroom year! 

Wife was looking at Facebook a bit ago, and someone had posted a pic of a white pickup turfing the ball fields in the village of Navarre which is about three or four miles from here. Boss looked at the turfed areas this morning and concluded they were done by the same vehicle........a truck. since it was so close, that may be our culprit. We replaced the post lamp post this morning......... in the COLD. We know the perpetrator will have some damage or scrape marks on the left front of the vehicle. I have to go out in a bit to see if the post head is going to function like it should<_<:blush:

Our high here in Tucson today was 30°F below.  :o

That's 30°F below 100°F. :P

In a light shirt and while drinking a glass of wine, I grilled some beef steaks outside on the patio.  Both the wine and the steaks were delicious. ^_^

I hate snow. :angry:

Back in the day, I knew some guys that loved this kind of weather.  They would load up the PU with PBR or Old Milwaukee's Best and run the roads just looking for trouble and probably road hunting varmints (and other things if they run out of varmints). 

Archived