SASS Wire Forum

MREs

Subdeacon Joe

That settles it. I’m havin SOS fer breakfast tomorrow!

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What are those rolled up things in the bottom right?  And that thing in the upper left?

You really don't want to know. It might ruin your appetite. :P :D

As an aside My time on active duty mid-rats was almost always the best meal you could get at the chow hall. I usually had breakfast cooked to order and at least once a month you could get steak and eggs.

I honestly do not know what that thing on the upper left is. Like many things I saw served in the Navy. Midrats on my ship were “leftovers” or badly made sandwiches stuffed into a paper sack with some odd side item.

I remember getting midrats on Condition 3 watched in the missile launcher that consisted of a greasy chicken leg, a hunk of baked potato  both wrapped in a paper napkin along with a half of a peanut butter sandwich that was just tossed in the bag.

The Mess Crank That threw that crap together got it stuffed in his face as he slept when I got off Watch at 04:00.

”Wakey, Wakey, Mother........!”

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I honestly do not know what that thing on the upper left is. Like many things I saw served in the Navy. Midrats on my ship were “leftovers” or badly made sandwiches stuffed into a paper sack with some odd side item.

I remember getting midrats on Condition 3 watched in the missile launcher that consisted of a greasy chicken leg, a hunk of baked potato  both wrapped in a paper napkin along with a half of a peanut butter sandwich that was just tossed in the bag.

The Mess Crank That threw that crap together got it stuffed in his face as he slept when I got off Watch at 04:00.

”Wakey, Wakey, Mother........!”

Did sandwich have teeth marks:lol:

Our Senior DI told us: "Ain't supposed to taste good, supposed to keep ya alive!"

Thank the Heavens for former Quartermaster General McIlhenny who added mini bottles of Tabasco to Marine Corps MREs.

My son at OCS opined that "MREs are awesome Dad unlike your C rations." By his first desert tour, he hated them!!!   :-)

9 hours ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

Bob you had to go and do it! The only thing I think was worse than Chopped Eggs and Ham were the Ham and Mo Fo's.

image.png.38240b07b16fbd2084ebe27da5894e00.png

I enjoyed Ham and Eggs. Could even eat em cold. I could not abide the Limas though and will not eat them to this day!

I was in Uncle Sugar’s service in the mid-80s as they transitioned from C-rats to MREs. 

They hadn’t quite figured out MREs yet, so we’d take a C-rat over an MRE or T-rat just about every time. 

But it then they figured out the mini Tabasco bottle...:rolleyes:

Stateside I took lots of cans of oyster stew to the field. Eating them made folks appreciate C Rats. I worked for an Armor Captain who was hard as nails but I could make him sick eating oyster stew for breakfast on a cold morning. We had oyster stew for lunch today, heated.

UB I retched at the picture of ham and mf.

Imis

18 minutes ago, Man From Boot Hill #71246 said:

Maybe it just a sign of the times, But it seems that the last two Gun Shows I attended there was at least one vendor selling MRE'S!  Are people buying them for "just in case" ?  Has anyone else noticed this?

Preppers are buying cases of MREs and freeze dried food for "just in case." 

Sometimes campers and hikers will use MREs as well although the distance/multi day pack hikers tend to pack the freeze dried meals as they weigh very little. 

On 1/14/2019 at 6:23 PM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Stateside I took lots of cans of oyster stew to the field. Eating them made folks appreciate C Rats. I worked for an Armor Captain who was hard as nails but I could make him sick eating oyster stew for breakfast on a cold morning. We had oyster stew for lunch today, heated.

UB I retched at the picture of ham and mf.

Imis

As did I. 

Archived