SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch

Blackface Charlie

Have been accumulating everything I need for both Wild Bunch and CAS shooting over the past two months.   Ready to shoot my first Wild Bunch match next week.  Going through California purgatory right now on a pair of revolvers for CAS.   I wanted to post over on Wild Bunch site obviously because I have Wild Bunch topics.  Problem is they have a series of questions you have to answer before you can post.   I tried to Google the questions so I could post but I couldn't find the answers.   Kind of a pain in the butt.   Suggestions ?

BC - you will get more and faster answers if you post this on the SASS Wire rather than here on the Classifieds. Good luck

Blackface Charlie,

Get on the Wild Bunch Wire. A few Cowboy shooters have a lot of animosity towards Wild Bunch, you will get better answers over there. PM me an email or phone # and if I can't help you get into the forum I'll put you in contact with someone who can.

JFN

Blackface Charlie,

I'm running the WB match on the 19th, if you have questions call or PM me. My phone number is in one of our last PM's. What questions does the WB forum ask of you before posting?

Tully

8 hours ago, J. Frank Norfleet said:

Blackface Charlie,

Get on the Wild Bunch Wire. A few Cowboy shooters have a lot of animosity towards Wild Bunch, you will get better answers over there. PM me an email or phone # and if I can't help you get into the forum I'll put you in contact with someone who can.

JFN

What he said. PM me for any information you may need. 

There is no finer guide than Tully Mars, as well, for a Wild Bunch.

1 hour ago, Tully Mars said:

Blackface Charlie,

I'm running the WB match on the 19th, if you have questions call or PM me. My phone number is in one of our last PM's. What questions does the WB forum ask of you before posting?

Tully

Branchwater gave the answers above.

44 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Branchwater gave the answers above.

@Griff, you need these answers to be able to register for the wild bunch forum before you can ask a question in it. a lot of new folks have no idea what these answers are. Not only that, folks who just want to get more information because they're interested in it but not yet sass members have no idea what the answers to these questions are.

3 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

@Griff, you need these answers to be able to register for the wild bunch forum before you can ask a question in it. a lot of new folks have no idea what these answers are. Not only that, folks who just want to get more information because they're interested in it but not yet sass members have no idea what the answers to these questions are.

I’d like to see some of that changed. We need to keep scammers and trolls off but this is a bit much.

8 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

None of that was there when I registered... or maybe it seemed so innocuous that I simply overlooked it.  What Boggus Deals said.

29 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

I’d like to see some of that changed. We need to keep scammers and trolls off but this is a bit much.

Where is the WB forum?

I got on it a couple of months ago but forgot the answer about SASS No 4.    I go over there to see recent activity but there is very little activity and hadn't posted since I joined.   I just wanted to see if there was any interest in 45 ACP SPP brass.   I'd go ask that question right now but I am signing off----time to go sling some led.   All ya'll have a great day!!

39 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

I use small primer 45 cap brass all the time for WB.  A nice 225g fn poly bullet over trailboss.  My poor old wrists go just about 5 stages before hurting.

Well—I have close to 500 rounds for sale

3 hours ago, Blackface Charlie said:

I just wanted to see if there was any interest in 45 ACP SPP brass.  

Nothing messes up a good rhythm to your loading process than coming across a SPP when loading LPP's. If you're in need of some LPP's let me now.

Otherwise just sell or donate all your SPP brass to the New Mexico clubs please :)  

Tully

20 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Just call Tully. He's the best. :wub:

Thanks you Allie! Hope to see you on the 19th. It's been awhile!

Tully

6 hours ago, Tully Mars said:

Nothing messes up a good rhythm to your loading process than coming across a SPP when loading LPP's. If you're in need of some LPP's let me now.

Otherwise just sell or donate all your SPP brass to the New Mexico clubs please :)  

Tully

Because of issues like that, I've heard tales of some clubs banning small pistol primer 45 ACP brass outright. Automatic MDQ and banning from the rangeif caught shooting it.

66035238.jpg

2 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Because of issues like that, I've heard tales of some clubs banning small pistol primer 45 ACP brass outright. Automatic MDQ and banning from the rangeif caught shooting it.

66035238.jpg

Branchwater Jack,

I'm half joking, never heard of a MDQ for using SPP. It certainly warrants a rope, but not a MDQ ;) 

Tully

1 hour ago, LostVaquero said:

Nothing better than small primer, you get a large one you know.  Just run it around and save for them that have not had the joy of not changing primers.  The 38s and 32s for cowboy one less thing to hassle with.

Do you have a 45acp rifle?  If you and I ever shoot the same WB match, I will bring nickled ammo.

8 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

Nothing better than small primer, you get a large one you know.  Just run it around and save for them that have not had the joy of not changing primers.  The 38s and 32s for cowboy one less thing to hassle with.

I agree! I've found that my 45 ACP loads with SP are much more consistent velocity and load much easier on my 650. When I had a 45 ACP rifle the SP had fewer problems than the LP.

20 hours ago, Tully Mars said:

Tully

Great idea Tully! I'll take all donations. Just contact me before WR or EoT. There are a few of us here that shoot it.

12 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

Despite what I've said here about SPP brass, it's really just been in fun. Come out and shoot Wild Bunch with what you have, that's the important thing.

LostVaquero, I can clearly see your reasoning.

JFN, I'll bring my SPP brass with me to WR and give it to you there.

Tully

Even though SP brass is my favorite, I do know that it causes many shooters to gnash their teeth because of the dreaded primer tube explosion on the 650. In attempting to seat a LP in a SP brass the primer is set off which sets off all the primers in the tube. For that reason I almost never carry my SP rounds to a local match. I have a set of LP brass for that. That said I still sort through the monthly brass carefully since you always get a few pieces from other shooters. I don't think ammo manufacturers will ever go back to exclusively LP especially since the SP are used for non toxic loads. So we have to carefully sort our brass when we shoot with others.

38 minutes ago, J. Frank Norfleet said:

Even though SP brass is my favorite, I do know that it causes many shooters to gnash their teeth because of the dreaded primer tube explosion on the 650. In attempting to seat a LP in a SP brass the primer is set off which sets off all the primers in the tube. For that reason I almost never carry my SP rounds to a local match. I have a set of LP brass for that. That said I still sort through the monthly brass carefully since you always get a few pieces from other shooters. I don't think ammo manufacturers will ever go back to exclusively LP especially since the SP are used for non toxic loads. So we have to carefully sort our brass when we shoot with others.

Interesting comment on setting off the primers on a 650.  I didn’t know that was an issue and but I have only been reloading for two years.  Have the SPP issue reloading all the time.  As a matter of fact I just loaded 2k rounds this past four days and didn’t realize there were about 250 pieces of SPP in that batch—guess the guy beside me at the range the other day was shooting SPP and I didn’t check them.   Ran them through the 650 with no issue other than it’s annoying as hell!!   I’m pretty easy on the seating process.  Now I’ll be even more easy

Archived