SASS Wire Forum

I. Hate. Squirells.

Whiskey Business

2 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

Can you find that at WalMart?????

Aisle 7 on the left ‘bout half way down...........

17 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Can't imagine chewin' on Sqirrel or possum ...are they really that good to eat !!!

Yes, they are a southern delicacy. Pressure cook, then fry them up. I'm sure there are other recipes. Same consistency as a rabbit.  Compared to most animals a squirrel is pretty clean, much cleaner than a chicken. A friend of mine in Louisiana turned down $5K for his squirrel dog,

it's a hoot to hunt squirrels with a good dog. 

Possum and raccoon is too greasy for me, it's like eatin' fat back. Plus, I saw a possum crawl out of a dead cow and I haven't had the desire to even try possum again.

For 25 years I lived in a suburb of San Francisco that previously was walnut orchards.  The developer retained some of the trees.  There were plenty of the critters.  I always had one or two dogs & the squirrels would run back & forth on the back fense pausing to get the dogs attention.  Once a squirrel made the mistake of jumping or falling to the ground.  The alpha female doxy, Hedi, pounced on it.  She broke its back & played keep-away with our other doxy.  Eventually she tired of the game & dropped it.  Within an hour all that was left was a tail for a faux coon skin cap.  Also, before we got Hedi we had gopher problems.  Hedi's best friend was a kitten that grew into 25 pound cat my daughter brought home from the ranch where we boarded her horse.  Hedi was so alpha tough that she & the cat would wrestle.  The CAT loved to torment the squirrels.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:57 PM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Can't imagine chewin' on Sqirrel or possum ...are they really that good to eat !!!

I don't know if they are good to eat but back about 1959 or so my father got stationed at a Naval base that was inside Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. There were a couple of old maids that lived next to our landlord in Hopkinsville, KY. They mentioned to my father and our landlord that they had a squirrel problem. My father went to the local police station and got permission to shoot the squirrels. He used a .22 rifle and shot 7 of them as they were leaving the eaves of the ladies house. He gave them to the housekeeper/cook of our landlord. She was a large black woman and was happy to get them. She did mention that she was glad that my father would not be shooting at her because he shot each one through the head. Seven squirrels seven shots. I still remember the landlords name and the cooks name. She was Ida and the landlord was Robert Fairleigh. He was very helpful for my mom when we moved back to Hopkinsville after my father died.  My mom was having a hard time getting financing for a house and she stopped in to see Mr. Fairleigh. She mentioned the problem to him and he called the bank that we did business with and talked to some bigwig there and said that she was good for the loan and problem solved.

Lol. Rap music would not be well received here, despite understanding neighbors. They have squirrel problems.

Trying to get someone to repair the hole the squirrels chewed. Lot of construction around here and those guys are all tied up. Took over a month to get the last soffit repaired.

Dug an old pellet gun put out of the safe. Off to Walmart for ammo. An, no, i will Not be eating them. Buzzards gotta eat too, tho.

3 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

Lol. Rap music would not be well received here, despite understanding neighbors. They have squirrel problems.

Trying to get someone to repair the hole the squirrels chewed. Lot of construction around here and those guys are all tied up. Took over a month to get the last soffit repaired.

Dug an old pellet gun put out of the safe. Off to Walmart for ammo. An, no, i will Not be eating them. Buzzards gotta eat too, tho.

You'd eat a chicken that'd eat the maggots out of a dead critter and you won't eat a squirrel. :) I'm sure there are some folks around your area that would love a mess of squirrels. Better make sure you have the proper hunting license and it's still squirrel season. Probably a law against torturing critters with rap noise. 

And remember, if you see one who has a buddy that resembles a moose, ya might wanna give 'im a pass.   :rolleyes:

Archived