SASS Wire Forum

I. Hate. Squirells.

Whiskey Business

Stupid lawn rats are eating holes in the soffits. My exterminators only kill the bugs, reffered me to a critter control guy. 

700+ to catch and release. Well, my my my. No thanks.

Went to local store and bought a pascal of dcon mouse baits. Put them out of reach of pets but where squirrels go.

Horrible destructive critters must be killed with impunity.

Not only are they destructive, but they seem to gain MUCH pleasure for doing so!

Where they are chewing install Steel Lath for plaster and stucco backing.  When painted to match the house it is not noticable from a distance. I have it in several areas on my house and it has stopped the squirrels and rats from knawing into the attic.

You can do a lot yourself to stop them from getting in.  I called a critter control guy and based on the estimate he was aking about 1000.00 an hour.  Did lots of online research and did all the work myself. I'll look when I get home and see who I bought my rodent resistant expanding foam from.  One area not to overlook are where the roof valleys meet the gutter.  I had a squirrel try to eat in there after I sealed up all the other entrances. Filled the air gap with foam and covered with the above metal. 

BTW A squirrel released 5 miles from home will likely return in a few days. In most states releasing pests on another persons property is illegal.

Check out this guys website for traps.  Has a lot of videos of traps in action Some designs are over 400 years old..  Mouse Trap Monday's

Squirrel trap that actually works https://mousetrapmonday.com/videos/the-squirrelinator-squirrel-trap-is-awesome-best-ground-squirrel-trap-mousetrap-monday/

1 minute ago, Whiskey Business said:

No desire to trap them. Need to get .117. Most allowed here in the burbs.

Like I said, just kill them. 

And they're nutritious, too! 

Backyard squirrel isn't as bad as my ex would have you believe. . .

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

8 minutes ago, Whiskey Business said:

Whiskey Business,

This is what I have and use.

Very quiet and effective.

https://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=234

product_whisper.jpg.d826fae6bd675caeb6d978808b65bfbf.jpg

Lucky me, I live on the edge of a small rural town.  Squirrels were knocking out my transformer every other Sunday.  A box of CCI 22 CB longs took care of my problem using 22 rifle. Actually not any louder than my air rifle .  GW

When I lived in North Carolina we had bunches of squirrels in the back yard trees. They were in all the trees throughout my neighborhood. We had a pair get into our attic and make a nest. It cost me $150 to get them removed. I fixed the hole they made myself.

While I was fixing the hole I noticed my house wiring ran through the attic.

We also had problems with all kinds of creepy crawlies and mice.

We went to Home Depot and I bought the electronic pest control units that you plug into the outlets around your home. We plugged one into each outlet circuit (one outlet per electrical feed from the circuit breaker box). This ended all of our rodent problems and nearly all bug problems...spiders didn’t seem to be bothered by the electronic pest units.

Perhaps give those a try. The ones I bought in 2007 are still going strong and working in my home in Oregon. I do not recall the brand name but I paid about $25 a piece for them. I bought 6 of them.

I'm lucky, I live in the country.  Tree rats are not my problem, racoons are.  They love sweet corn.  Right after the corn comes up after planting, I start putting live traps out as I am too lazy to sit up until the wee hours to defend my corn field.  I go out the next morning and put what ever trips the trap out of my misery.  Last spring we, I got 26 of those buggers.  It is legal for me as the land owner to take them year round as they are considered a nuisance animal.  The coons love chickens too!  They get in the smallest of holes and will kill what ever they can get their paws on.  I checked on the chickens one night and I caught the buggers red handed dragging a number of the hens away.  Our chicken house and chicken yard looks like a fortification.

I'd live trap the little rats, haul them in the cage into the garage, close the door and they would never be seen again.  The pellet gun would work fine.  Just ask Vito or Benny, they can give you the skinny.

We have a lot of squirrels around my house.   Lucky for me, I can shoot them at any time

with my .22.....but, I have a good air soft rifle that I have used to keep them away from the house.

Its fully auto and can fire about 14 shots per second at around 350 fps.   The squirrels learn quickly

and know the mere sound of that air rifle spurting out a hundred plastic pellets in just a few seconds

is 'Katie Bar The Door' for the squirrels.   The magazine holds approx 400 pellets so its very formiddable

against small critters.

P.S. - wear safety glasses when using air soft guns.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

bought a pascal of dcon mouse baits. Put them out of reach of pets but where squirrels go.

Be careful.  You don't want 'em dying in yr attic.

Up to my cabin we has grays get in the showerhouse and reds chewed into the crapper. Between meeces pieces and a 12 gauge we had them in a weekend. Took two trips up to repair the damage though.

2 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

The trap comes with a pan that it will fit inside of. Fill pan with water submerge trap.  ;)

hide the gun so the neighbors won't see.  I used to live in town and had them in my attic so I would load my 10/22 with shot shells and they would jump when hit.  Then I loaded a lever action with 45LC shot shells and they flat out died.  then I tried a pistol with 22 shot shells to be more discreet and got the police called and they said not even a BB gun was allowed.  I was shooting them in the yard and once my son who was 7 saw one coming down the wall of the house from the attic so he grabbed a stick and hid nearby and waited and beat it to death.  

3 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

Trapping makes it easier... a saying in my family... "You can't miss with a Havahart."

3 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

Many years ago, when I was but a lad, we had the same problem. We lived in Columbus Ohio, so NO guns. And the Old Lady behind us fed the *@#(^$ critters. My dad thought a pellet gun, either .177 or .22 would take care of them, but not so much. This was long before the pellet guns of today. 

So I got a 5mm Sheridan pellet gun. The pellet looked like a hollow base semi wadcutter. When they were in the back yard, in the trees, I could ease the back door open, rest the rifle on the doorframe with just the muzzle exposed, and knock them out of the trees. 

We had an invasion of squirrels at the log cabin.

We fed them our special, homemade Peanut Butter Cookies with Warfarin flavouring.

They didn't come back, although we did find some dried out carcasses.

Good eats! Mmmmmmmmmmm squirrel and dumpling's. I'll take the squirrels over feral cats anytime. Cats kill everything, poop in the flower beds, pee everywhere and stink. There were Bluebird parts everywhere, not a rabbit in site. 

Whiskey, are these ground squirrels or tree squirrels?  

Pellet rifle will work well on either.  Ground squirrels I'd shoot and discard, but the tree squirrels really CAN be quite yummy!   Fry 'em up like chicken.  Doesn't taste like chicken ~ tastes like squirrel.  Which is every bit as tasty as chicken.  Or better.  :)

BTW ~ CCI's CB Longs are VERY quiet when fired from a bolt-action .22... the 29 gr bullet is perfectly adequate for squirrels at "house" ranges.  And by quiet, I mean quieter than a pellet rifle.  Either one, be sure of your backstop.   ;)

Have fun and happy cooking!  :lol:

Howdy,

My dear ol Daddy used to live trap squirrels and take them over to the other side

of the interstate and release em in a park. This was 15 years ago, and I have no idea of 

local laws.  

I feed birds about half safflower seed.

I hear squirrels find it very bitter.

The squirrel count here is way down.

And no nuts in the bird feed either.

Best

CR

Got over run by tree rats a few years ago.  They ruined over 140 pears off of our trees in less than 3 days.  One decided it was funny to move to the tree over the dog run and sit there while my bulldog barked at him and, after he'd had a few nibbles, throw the pear at the dog.

Got 3 of them with the Crosman 180 before my new neighbors moved in- a family of hawks.  Haven't had a problem with tree rats since.

13 hours ago, Assassin said:

Good eats! Mmmmmmmmmmm squirrel and dumpling's. I'll take the squirrels over feral cats anytime. Cats kill everything, poop in the flower beds, pee everywhere and stink. There were Bluebird parts everywhere, not a rabbit in site. 

And squirrels taste a whole lot better than feral cats - mostly!

STL Suomi

I used the "Chinese" .177 air rifle and the crack in the door routine.  We had a snow that stayed on the ground for about a week.  I had 28 carcasses on the ground when the snow melted.  We still had some around but they were very cautious.

18 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Lucky me, I live on the edge of a small rural town.  Squirrels were knocking out my transformer every other Sunday.  A box of CCI 22 CB longs took care of my problem using 22 rifle. Actually not any louder than my air rifle .  GW

This is the way to go!!! Aren't many of them tree rats around here any more. CB POWER!!!! ( I ain't talkin' radios neither)

Got two big Oak trees in my back yard. Have a screen porch and hate the damn tree rats that run over my screen and tear holes in it. Bought me a Sig 229 AIR Pistol. Looks and feels just like my 9mm Sig 229. Well now I have three notches on my Air pistol. Plus this morning early. a big Red Tail Hawk sweep down and took one of the Critters, before I could get a shot. I loved it!

Cheers     Hoss C.

Archived