SASS Wire Forum

Pietta Frontier Compatible Base Pin?

Deanimator

I am contemplating the imminent purchase of a Cimarron Old Model Frontier.

Does this model use the two position base pin?

Having read about issues with the two position base pin, I'd like to replace it with a conventional one.

What pin is compatible and where can I get one?

Thanks.

Belt Mountain base pin!!! I have them in all my Uberti's and a Pietta. 

https://beltmountain.com/

Check the Brownells catalogue.  However,  I wouldn't bother changing it out.  Put it in a padded vice, Hacksaw the 1/8th inch of the pin off and dress it.  Then you just push the pin in all the way and there are no problems.

19 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Check the Brownells catalogue.  However,  I wouldn't bother changing it out.  Put it in a padded vice, Hacksaw the 1/8th inch of the pin off and dress it.  Then you just push the pin in all the way and there are no problems.

That's one option.

In case I decide to buy one, what's compatible?  I haven't handled a single action revolver since 1984.

Yeah, shortening the rear of the pin will allow it to be pushed all the way in to defeat the safety feature.  However, the Pietta basepins are only grooved on the bottom, not all the way around.  And I hate that.  Takes more fiddling to get it perfectly aligned with the base pin screw.  I know an Uberti pin will fit in a Pietta, though not sure if it is undersized or not.  And I expect a Colt pin will fit, but am not sure.

7 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Yeah, shortening the rear of the pin will allow it to be pushed all the way in to defeat the safety feature.  However, the Pietta basepins are only grooved on the bottom, not all the way around.  And I hate that.  Takes more fiddling to get it perfectly aligned with the base pin screw.  I know an Uberti pin will fit in a Pietta, though not sure if it is undersized or not.  And I expect a Colt pin will fit, but am not sure.

Real Colt pins seem hard to come by these days.  I believe they're out of stock at both Brownell's and Midway.

3 hours ago, Deanimator said:

They only appear to sell Ruger type pins anymore.

Are those compatible?

3 hours ago, Deanimator said:

Are those compatible?

No they sell them for Colts and colt clones! I have them!!! Keep looking on their website or check Midway USA they have the belt mountain clone base pins

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004078794/belt-mountain-standard-base-pin-colt-single-action-army-blue

9 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Discontinued. None available. 

Wow!!! Hard to get a hold of Belt Mountain, you call the number and it's a fax #, you can email them also but.......

I bought mine from them about 6-7 yrs ago! I have them in all my Uberti's and a Pietta. Colt base pins are no problem so my Colts have the originals.

It is not that hard to make a base pin. Find a slightly oversize machine screw or bolt and chuck it in the "poor man's lathe" aka a portable drill. Using a file and a medium drill speed, remove the thread. Once you get the OD (outside diameter) correct, form the head of the pin and the groove. When it is complete, heat your new base pin and cold blue.

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Wow!!! Hard to get a hold of Belt Mountain, you call the number and it's a fax #, you can email them also but.......

I bought mine from them about 6-7 yrs ago! I have them in all my Uberti's and a Pietta. Colt base pins are no problem so my Colts have the originals.

Emailing doesn't work well either. Supposedly updating their website - for several weeks now. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

That’s what I did. Works great. 

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

2 hours ago, Deanimator said:

Real Colt pins seem hard to come by these days.  I believe they're out of stock at both Brownell's and Midway.

Just an FYI, the colt pins do not work. They are too wide to fit. The standard Uberti pins fit perfectly. I am the same as you in that I don't want the extra long pin and I also don't like the way they cut the groove only on the bottom. It's more secure I have read, but it can be a real pain in the ..... The Uberti non-safety pin fits perfectly and gets you the right look.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:19 AM, Deanimator said:

Are those compatible?

I just received an email back from Belt Mountain. He says he still carries the Colt Clone type base pin but he's out of town and will be back soon. He discontinued the Colt style with MIDWAY but he still has them. I suggest you email them.

Rye;)

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just received an email back from Belt Mountain. He says he still carries the Colt Clone type base pin but he's out of town and will be back soon. He discontinued the Colt style with MIDWAY but he still has them. I suggest you email them.

Rye;)

Thanks for the information.

I haven't bought the gun yet.  I went to a show and a couple of stores Saturday, but saw no Pietta guns at all.

I'm going to another show this Saturday.  If nothing suitable turns up there, I'll drive across the street and see if the store will order exactly what I want.  If not, I'll order it from Bud's and have it shipped to the same store, since Bud's lists them as a dealer.

Just came back from the show and the best gun store in the area.

No 7 1/2" Piettas at the show that I saw.

I went to the store up the road. They could get me the gun, but NOT in 7 1/2". 4 1/2" and 5 1/2" only.

I'm reconsidering my options.

You could grind the end of the pin down at the hammer end and always use the last notch.

Call or email E.M.F. and order what you want. Great company to deal with and Pietta makes all their revolvers. If you are a S.A.S.S. member you get a little discount.

3 calibers in 3 lengths; excellent customer service:

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-Californian-c65.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I picked the gun up Saturday.

I somehow managed to screw up and order the pre-war model rather than the black powder model.  My mistake.

Other than that, it seems like a nice gun.

I ordered a single position Uberti base pin from Gun Parts last night.  We'll see how that works out.

I didn't get my ammunition until last night, so I won't be able to try it until at least Sunday, probably Monday.

4 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

If you really want the BP frame model, can you can return the gun if unfired?  I don't know Bud's policy,

There's nothing wrong with the gun.  It was my mistake, so I'll live with it.

The important part was the 4 click action, and I got that.

Just a reminder about the BP frame, if you need to take your cylinder out at a shoot to get out a jammed round it's a whole lot easier with the spring latch! I've had BP frames before and I really prefer the more modern version.;)

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Just a reminder about the BP frame, if you need to take your cylinder out at a shoot to get out a jammed round it's a whole lot easier with the spring latch! I've had BP frames before and I really prefer the more modern version.;)

I wanted a black powder frame gun since most of the fighting history of the SAA involved that version.

But I'm willing to own up to my screwup and live with having most of what I wanted.  Not having a Colt type action would have been a deal breaker and would have caused me to eat the return fee.  Having the later version is just a minor disappointment with my own inattention.

I've got my first box of ammunition for it now, but if it's anything like as cold Monday as it is today, it'll have to wait a while.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:36 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I bought a pair of pre-war .38-40s from you at 2003 EoT.  Colt cylinder pins fit perfect.  I've been using them ever since.

Archived