SASS Wire Forum

Good Shooting Glasses

Iron Biscuit SASS#108048

I looked at some SSB shooting glasses that had the Bi-focal on the top of the lens.  I think they would work good for SASS, $35.00 ish.  I use full lens readers, 1.5 power get them from Amazon about $16.00 and they have big side shields.  I was going to get the SSB's but the side shields were too small.

I spent the extra $$$ and got two pair of WileyX's, one clear and one dark tinted.  I got the lenses cut to my reading prescription which puts the front sights of all my guns into clear focus.  Haven't regretted the decision for a moment. 

We opted for a 2 pair of "over the glasses" shooting glasses from Midway (Champion Ballistic), and really like them. Don't even know they are there, and forget to take them off sometimes. Plus I like having two lenses in front of the old peepers.

You won't win any modeling contracts wearing them. In case you were wondering.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

Hi folks,

I have a million pair of inexpensive shooting glasses, but wondered what folks were using on here. 

thanks

Use the inexpensive ones you already have, save your money for guns and leather :D

And Cowboy HATS!

Guest Grass Range #51406

In the ear protection does not do it for me as I already have hearing damage. I hear plugs and muffs. Shooting glasses with wide bows will still let in some noise so I only use those with wire bows like my Dillons

I think it all boils down to if you need RX lenses or not.  I bought the Tombstone shooting glasses by Oakley and love them, but now I need RX and they won't work for me at the range if I have to read/score/etc.

I have been using my polycarb glasses recently, but they don't have side protection...  Not ideal.

I tried those top bifocal glasses (SSB's) and they DID NOT work for me.  Ok, for pistol, but no way on the rifle.  I returned them.

Last week, I bought some of the 'stick-on' bifocals on Amazon and now have those on my Oakley Tombstones.  I am hoping to get the best of both worlds now.  I will shoot my first match with them on Sat.

If these stick-ons don't work, I will pony up for full-blown RX shooting glasses.  Likely will be RX lenses for my Tombstones since I like them so much!

Totes

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I use the ones with my prescription in them.   :lol:

Same here but with the focus for the dominant eye on my front sights and the other eye focused at distance. 

After cataract surgery I use store bought sunglasses with reading rx made in. I see sights and targets ok with no rx  and need the readers to check pistols/ score sheets etc.

Imis

Rudy Project. 

Multilens kit with Rx insert available or direct Rx shooting glasses.  They have many options. (nope I don't work for them, just using their product)

Note: never skimp on shooting glasses. Make sure they are Ballistic rated so they don't shatter when hit.  Most inexpensive glasses are not ballistic rated so be cautious. Your eyes are worth more than the price of a really good glasses.  You only have a pair of eyes, when they are gone, they are gone.  

4 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Prescription safety glasses

For my last shooting glasses, I had a trap-shooting doctor. I got a prescription that was optimal for my rifle's front sight. That worked well for many years.

I'm in a quandary now, as I just had cataract surgery and one eye is not optimal or nearly that.  I haven't shot since the second (bad result) eye surgery.

I can't afford anything nice because we need a lot and my kids are really good at breaking and losing things. But you also can't go too cheap on these things either. We bought some $2 glasses from Harbor Freight that look, fit and work nice... until you wipe them off. I couldn't find a clothe or anything that wouldn't scratch them, seriously. 

I now buy the Jackson Nemesis glasses and like those as well as any I've tried. They are comfortable and hold up well. I most often use the indoor/outdoor ones that have a very slight tint. Only thing I don't like is they don't fold up very small/flat and they don't work if you are using ear muffs because they stick out on the sides. If you buy a few at a time from the right place they are quite cheap. I've been getting them on Amazon and find sellers that have separate shipping and combine shipping. Last time I ordered 9 (3 different styles) and they averaged about $4.50 a piece including shipping. 

Since it has not been mentioned, you may want to look at Decot https://www.decot.com/.  They make prescription shooting glasses in a variety of different colors, with or without bi-focals and if you buy the Classic Hy-Wyd frames, you can replace lenses in these frames eg if you want yellow for low light and brown for bright light it is easy to switch out the different lenses. They also come with side shields. 

I use Wiley-X

A couple years ago, I was spotting for another shooter, standing right behind him, when a bullet came straight back off the target and struck the lower inside edge of my glasses. They distorted and absorbed the impact without penetration, but left a small bruise and the right side of my face swelled up a bit that night. I had a pretty good shiner the next morning.

Eye.jpg

With prescription, Wiley X is the way to go. I use clear most of the time, with occasional sun versions. My optometrist said that his son is a Navy Seal, & they all depend on Wiley X, as it is much superior to Oakley for holding up to abuse.

ive always used the cheap ones - tend to scratch , use and throw , im needing the magnifier/prescription so im looking into these as well , thanks for the thread , im learning some new things from it - will try some options offered here , 

Another shout out to ESS.  The lenses are great.  The set I have has three (yellow, smoke and clear) interchangeable lenses and an optional insert for prescription lenses.  Love mine. 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:02 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I normally use the yellow lensed safety glasses at Lowes.

They have sufficient wrap around and they are tough.

..........Widder

This.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived