SASS Wire Forum

Sterling beer in Imperial quarts!!

Double Cola

Crosley automobiles 

The Dorsey Brothers 

Philco TVs with the little round screen

National newscasts by John Cameron Swasey. He did his own commercials for Timex watches. "They take a licking and keep on ticking." Timex made timers for bombs or torpedoes during the War.

Making your own root beer from Hires flavoring, sugar, some yeast for carbonation and capping the bottle. After a week or so, carefully pour the root beer into glass to keep the yeast in the bottle.The yeast tastes terrible. Handle the bottles carefully they had a tendency to explode.

Shooting strike anywhere matches from a BB rifle. They would light when striking a solid surface.

I remember my 1947 Chevy having a starter button on the floor left of the clutch, three on the tree, and a manual choke. It would be impossible to steal today, even with keys in the ignition; probably even if running.

Church Key

We got a bath on Sunday night because we had school the next day. I never saw a shower until my 7th grade P.E. class.

Don't recall Howdy Doody - it was from an LA station that our antenna couldn't pick up.  We got the 3 networks out of San Diego.  We could sometimes get channel 11 out of Los Angeles/Orange County and I could watch Sheriff John.

I recall almost all the rest.  Not Packards as new cars, but a few of my dad's friends had them.

Huntley-Brinkley newscasters

B&W TV but put a piece of plastic over the screen that was blue at top, orange in middle and green at bottom.  Pitch was your mind would make TV seem like it was in color.

Walter Winchell, "Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America, from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea.”

Edward R. Murrow, "Good night, and good luck."

Friday noon testing of city sirens (Houston)

+ I was probably one of few kids that went out of state for 6th grade field trip

Amos & Andy, along with Kingfish.   And if I remember correctly, there was a lawyer

in the series name Fleetwood Algonquin J. Calhoun, "The Third".

And NO, I didn't look this up on Google.  Strictly going by faint memory.

..........Widder  (51 baby)

Pin boys at the bowling ally

Ice delivery twice a week

Cars made from wood

Sitting around and LISTENING to the radio

Wearing a shirt and tie to school

Lick and stick notebook reinforcement stickers

Seltzer bottles

Balsa wood glider airplanes  (that never flew well)

Push grass mowers

Going shopping to the green growser, then the butcher shop.

Raking and the burning leaves

And who could forget ------ Kate Smith singing God Bless America.

Nat King Cole Show, Ed Sullivan show, Who do you trust, Name that Tune, Lawrence Welk, You bet your Life. (to name a few)

Your Show of Shows with Sid Ceasar

Jack Par doing The Tonight Show

Steve Allen did The Tonight Show 

“Clear Channel 650 WSM” radio with “The Friday Night Opry”

WOWO radio from Chicago 

Nash Ramblers with the fold down seats at the Drive In

Fluid Drive Desotos

Hudson Hornets

Singer “Slantamatic” sewing machines 

Treadle powered sewing machines 

Putting stuff in the well house to keep it cool 

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Amos & Andy, along with Kingfish.   And if I remember correctly, there was a lawyer

in the series name Fleetwood Algonquin J. Calhoun, "The Third".

And NO, I didn't look this up on Google.  Strictly going by faint memory.

..........Widder  (51 baby)

Don't forget Sapphire.

"If all the women in Texas is as ugly as Sapphire's mama, the Lone Ranger gonna be alone for a looong time."

51 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Don't forget Sapphire.

"If all the women in Texas is as ugly as Sapphire's mama, the Lone Ranger gonna be alone for a looong time."

Hey Alpo,

I don't recall "Mama" having any other real name.   Wasn't she just 'Mama'?

..........Widder

Geese, you guys are old! (Me too) I remember all those things.

Some of you really moved around a lot. I live within 2 miles of where my Great great Grandfather settled in this country  in 1876......

40 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey Alpo,

I don't recall "Mama" having any other real name.   Wasn't she just 'Mama'?

..........Widder

Don't know. The tv show was before I was born. But Daddy used to quote bits of it. That's where that Lone Ranger thing come from - my Daddy.

Just checked Wiki. Sapphire was Kingfish's wife.

In a museum one time, the tour guide was showing some Egyptian hieroglyphics, and explaining them.

"This is the Ahnk, which is evidence that they were religious. Next is a fish, because they depended so much on the bounty of the Nile. A jewel, showing they mined precious gems. The All Seeing Eye of Rah. A donkey, showing they kept livestock. And lastly this round red fruit or vegetable shows they practiced agriculture."

Kingfish spoke up. "You wrong, man. Dat says, 'Holy mackerel, Sapphire. Lookit the ass on dat tomato'."

Yes, I remembered that Sapphire was Kingfish wife and HER Mama lived with them.

I think even Kingfish called her 'Mama' and to my faint memory, she used no other name

in the series.

Oh yea, lets not forget 'Lightnin'..... :lol:

..........Widder

Wild Bill Hickok and his partner "Jingles"!!!!! Mighty Mouse, Tom and Jerry. 

Classics Illustrated comic books

When I came of age most of us teens were still driving old 1970s cars with breaker-point ignition and 2 or 4-barrel carburetors. Only our parents had a new car with electronic ignition and throttle-body injection. I spent many weekends trying to get my old Chevy tuned up well enough that it wouldn't stall at every intersection or buck like a bronco. It was also just before the era of cardboard oil cans requiring separate push-on metal cutter/pour spouts came to an end. Having squashed many a can trying to get that %@$#! spout to go in I can say those sure aren't missed.

But you know what really makes me feel old? That beat-up old 1970's junker I drove as a teen would be worth some dough if I still had it! :(

Archived