SASS Wire Forum

Alabama State Championship - Shootout at Cavern Cove

Buck D. Law, SASS #62183

6 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

Bad news! Kajun might not be able to make it. I heard he was practicing with his 32's, tripped on his skirt, & broke a nail. It's gonna depend on the nail rehab if he can make it. Pray for him......

Prayers sent.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

Bad news! Kajun might not be able to make it. I heard he was practicing with his 32's, tripped on his skirt, & broke a nail. It's gonna depend on the nail rehab if he can make it. Pray for him......

Dang Max, you just get back from the FL state match and found your computer, it's a good thing Ophelia was there to turn it on for you.  If the nail rehab doesn't go well I might have to switch to the Rimfire category.....prayers always appreciated! :P

Kajun

Rimfire shoot is a go!!! Here is the updated list assuming KK's nail heals....

Barkeep

Evil Bob

Krazy Kajun

Lawman Mark

Schofield Twin

Kantakerous T

Jasper Jack

Bama Kid

Capt Bill

Iron Cowboy

Kid Flash Ironhead

Graywolf Tate

Ruff Kut

3 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Barkeep

Evil Bob

Krazy Kajun

Lawman Mark

Schofield Twin

Kantakerous T

Jasper Jack

Bama Kid

Capt Bill

Iron Cowboy

Kid Flash

Graywolf Tate

Ruff Kut

Unfortunately Kid Flash won’t be able to make it but the Iron Cowboy and I will and we’ll bring Flash’s Widder/Henry rifle.

3 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Barkeep

Evil Bob

Krazy Kajun

Lawman Mark

Schofield Twin

Kantakerous T

Jasper Jack

Bama Kid

Capt Bill

Iron Cowboy

Kid Flash

Graywolf Tate

Ruff Kut

Add me to the rimfire shoot. I'm assuming it's just two revolvers and a rifle. Any limitations on ammo type?

Schedule, categories and rules for the Long Range Side Match for Shootout At Cavern Cove

We have new target arrays this year!

Long Range Schedule for Shootout
1:45 PM to 4:00 PM all types shoot
4:00 PM to 4:45 PM shoot off for single shot tie breakers

Categories:
Pistol
100 Yard Pistol Caliber Repeating Rifle Rapid Fire
100 Yard Pistol Caliber Rifle Slow Fire
200 Yard Repeating Rifle
200 Yard Single Shot Rifle
200 Yard Buffalo Rifle

There are no optics categories, all rifles must be iron sighted.

Tie breakers:
Pistols and repeating rifles rapid fire time is the tiebreaker.
Single shot rifles/slowfire repeating rifles shoot off for tie breaker.

Two sighters per gun will be allowed at the time of firing for record, sighters may not be converted to shots for record. Shooter may request spotter call the sighting shots. Firing for record occurs when the shooter states they are ready to do so. Spotters will not call more than hit or miss for record shots (shooter must request the hit/miss calls prior to firing the string). You may fire a second string for record, doing so negates the first string.

Guns- any SASS legal gun for the various classes as defined in the Shooters Handbook is allowed.
Ammo- any SASS legal ammo as defined under Long Range in the Shooters Handbook is allowed. Buffalo Rifles must shoot BP or any SASS approved BP substitute.

Pistols-
5 shots.
Pistols may be brought to the line holstered or cased, must be unloaded.
Load at the table.
May be shot Duelist or Traditional.
Start standing at the table, gun in hand, not cocked, muzzle touching table until the beep.
Shooter starts the timer after spotters state they are ready.
Targets are from 34 to 42 yards in echelon. Engage targets in a Nevada Sweep from left to right. Do not reengage a missed target, continue the sweep.
Penalties- A Procedural will be assessed for reengaging a missed target or starting at the wrong end.

Repeating Rifles Rapid Fire- pistol caliber at 100 yards, rifle caliber at 200 (195 actual) yards.
Load at the table adjacent to firing position.
Must be fired unsupported from standing or sitting position, shooter's choice.
Start in ready position, gun loaded, hammer down on an empty chamber.
5 shots at the largest target (leftmost target).
Match official starts the timer.

Single shot/slowfire rifles and buffalo rifles-
At 100 yards a shooter may fire their pistol caliber repeater in a slow and deliberate manner following the rules below.
Rifle caliber single shot rifles and buffalo rifles fire at the 200 yard targets.
Rifles may be supported or unsupported, shooter’s choice. Supported means from sticks in contact with the ground. Shooter may fire from standing or sitting position. Bench sticks are prohibited.

Fire from left to right, largest to smallest target, one round per target. Point values are from 1-5 as targets decrease in size. Shooter must engage all five targets.
Load from the body or the table/ground adjacent to the firing position.
It is the shooter’s responsibility to report back to the Long Range area between 3:45 and 4:00 PM to determine if they need to participate in a tie breaking shoot off.

Guns may be in carts with actions open, racked with actions open (there is limited rack space) or brought to the line cased and then shown clear when uncased. Guns may only be loaded at the line immediately prior to firing. Guns must be shown clear and actions kept open before removing from the line (guns brought to the line cased or holstered must be shown clear then the action closed and recased or reholstered at the table). No gun handling under the shelter while a shooter is on the firing line. All standard SASS safety rules are in effect.

Please assist with spotting and brass picking just like on a posse.

Thank you.

PS- your main match pistols and rifles can be used for three of the categories so come on over and give it a try.

Here are the details of the side matches. We're calling them the "Zero Time" side matches, but they could be called "Anybody Could Win" side matches. Thanks to T-Bone Dooley for the idea. 

Zero Time Side Matches

Shooters may shoot as many times as they like in an effort to determine the time they would like to “dial in.” The goal is to shoot as close as possible to the dialed in time without shooting faster. Shooting faster than the dialed in time results in a “break out” and no score is recorded. The

difference in the dialed in time and the actual time is the score. Score is kept to the 100th of a

second. Ideally, a shooter will shoot exactly their dialed in time and receive a score of zero. The lowest score wins. The shooter starts their own timer and can only dial in once in each

category. 

1) The shooter announces their dial-in time by

writing it on the board.

2) The shooter shoots.

3) Score is recorded. . .if they didn’t break out.

The person that shoots closest to their

dialed in time is the winner. Come on zero!

There will be a stage for each of the following:

· Zero Time Pistol

· Zero Time Rifle

· Zero Time Shotgun

2 hours ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

Here are the details of the side matches. We're calling them the "Zero Time" side matches, but they could be called "Anybody Could Win" side matches. Thanks to T-Bone Dooley for the idea. 

Zero Time Side Matches

Shooters may shoot as many times as they like in an effort to determine the time they would like to “dial in.” The goal is to shoot as close as possible to the dialed in time without shooting faster. Shooting faster than the dialed in time results in a “break out” and no score is recorded. The

difference in the dialed in time and the actual time is the score. Score is kept to the 100th of a

second. Ideally, a shooter will shoot exactly their dialed in time and receive a score of zero. The lowest score wins. The shooter starts their own timer and can only dial in once in each

category. 

1) The shooter announces their dial-in time by

writing it on the board.

2) The shooter shoots.

3) Score is recorded. . .if they didn’t break out.

The person that shoots closest to their

dialed in time is the winner. Come on zero!

There will be a stage for each of the following:

· Zero Time Pistol

· Zero Time Rifle

· Zero Time Shotgun

That is very interesting concept... So if I'm the shooter and declare a 5 second run and I shoot 5.25 I busted or if I declare 5 second and and shoot 4.99, my score would be -.01????? Now everyone can play on side match day. Yall got it going on. 

20 minutes ago, T-Bone SASS #36388 said:

That is very interesting concept... So if I'm the shooter and declare a 5 second run and I shoot 5.25 I busted or if I declare 5 second and and shoot 4.99, my score would be -.01????? Now everyone can play on side match day. Yall got it going on. 

I think that you have it backwards...

If I declare a 5 second time, and I run a 5.25, my time is .25

if I declare a 5 second time. and run a 4.99, I broke out and have no score recorded.

Winner is closest to their declared time without going under.

3 hours ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

Shooting faster than the dialed in time results in a “break out” and no score is recorded. The

second. Ideally, a shooter will shoot exactly their dialed in time and receive a score of zero. The lowest score wins.

21 minutes ago, Ringer said:

Bracket racing

Remember it well.

That's it. My original description of the match referred to bracket racing. I did it as a young man and there were some hot cars there. A guy shows up in about a 1950 model flatbed two-ton farm truck with a four-speed that had a "granny gear" as first gear. They would line cars --and 50 model trucks -- up side by side and the vehicle who dialed in the highest number got the green light first. This truck would come off the line at a snail's pace and not get much faster down the entire track. It would be near the end with the other car got the green light. Some of the cars would come off the line doing wheel stands, but if they beat that truck they had broken out. That truck won time after time. It was a tortoise vs. hare classic that I'll never forget. Car-101079794-438b72770554653b2f74613e8e 

1 hour ago, T-Bone SASS #36388 said:

T-Bone, you have your saddle on backwards. The advantage is you can enjoy where you've been! :)

8 hours ago, T-Bone SASS #36388 said:

We stole err... borrowed the idea from some cowboy shooting match genius.;)

Well we are about set to kick this match off. 

Meals will be available at the range from Thursday Lunch on. Henry the owner of Henry's Mustang Cafe is doing the cooking. 

We have a few shooters who have registered in the last day or two so the crowd is growing. 

Remember we will doing some additional side matches on Friday after lunch. The PCC match and the 22 match. 

Everybody be safe traveling and see you Thursday or Friday. 

Got my ammo packed, range bag sitting by the door.  Just have to load up the guns, food, clothes and trade goods.  Glad I got a bigger truck this year :)

Just now, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Got my ammo packed, range bag sitting by the door.  Just have to load up the guns, food, clothes and trade goods.  Glad I got a bigger truck this year :)

An F150 SuperCrew is on the horizon for the Burt Clan. It 'will be Sharyn's' truck.;)

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

An F150 SuperCrew is on the horizon for the Burt Clan. It 'will be Sharyn's' truck.;)

I inherited my Dad's Chevy 3500 dually a few weeks ago.  I have yet to put it to it's full potential.  

On 4/21/2019 at 10:24 PM, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

Y'all might want to snag some corn chips and sour cream on your way to the match. There'll be a homegrown Alabama surprise for everyone.

Okay, if I didn't know what the surprise was, I'd be thinking that you failed to capitalize the s in surprise and everyone was going to have the munchies. . .which would be fitting considering what the surprise is. Just and FYI for you, I'd be happy to tote off any unclaimed surprises. I'm looking forward to checking out the most recent crop. LOL

Get ready for FIRE! :)

1 hour ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

Okay, if I didn't know what the surprise was, I'd be thinking that you failed to capitalize the s in surprise and everyone was going to have the munchies. . .which would be fitting considering what the surprise is. Just and FYI for you, I'd be happy to tote off any unclaimed surprises. I'm looking forward to checking out the most recent crop. LOL

Get ready for FIRE! :)

There's 120 jars of it out there, if we have more shooters than that I need to know today so I can bring a few more jars out.

On 2/13/2019 at 3:01 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Bad things happen to us at the Georgia Match.

Like....

42216177001_bd0a23053d_b.jpgBadlands Bobs BoBo by Dave Steier, on Flickr

I and my son, Marshall WD, had a great time at this match!!!  Thanks to all those that made it possible and the great hospitality that y'all showed to us.  The range is beautiful and the stages/cowboy town really made me feel like I was stepping back in time.  Posse 5 was excellent and I really enjoyed shooting with this great bunch of Cowboys and Cowgirls.  Thank you for the wonderful memories we had the great privilege of making at your Range.  Y'all really have a great thing going on there in North Alabama!

It was a pleasure meeting y'all this weekend. If you shot long range let me know any likes or dislikes, we're working to keep improving it.

PS- let me know how you liked the salsa. If it was a tad too hot the product below helps. ;)

butt paste.jpg

Results from the match. Congratulations to all of our winners.

OVERALL ALABAMA STATE CHAMPIONS

MEN – SIDEKICK

LADIES – ALCHEMIST BELLE

CATEGORY CHAMPIONS 

LADIES  ALABAMA STATE CHAMPIONS

BUCKERETTE – ROBYN HEARTS

YOUNG GUN – MISS HALF PINT KAY

DUELIST – ARA TIEST

FORTY-NINER – SKETCHY SUE

SILVER SENIOR – TULLAMORE DEW

WRANGLER – ALCHEMIST BELLE

MEN'S ALABAMA STATE CHAMPIONS