SASS Wire Forum

Carrying long guns from the line

Juiceharp Jen

I see a lot of variation in how people carry long guns to and from the line, and I noticed some people commenting on it recently especially as people leave the line. I’ve always thought the 170 rule is still in effect as I leave the line and go to the loading table, but once clear, I just make sure not to sweep anyone as I go to the cart and put everything up.  Same thing going to the loading table and from the loading table to the staging area.  Is that reasonable?

Yes.  The general rule for carrying long guns from the firing line is "up and slightly downrange"... I try to keep downrange of any spotters or brass pickers as I make my way to the unloading table.  Not sweeping folks is a bonus.  :P  Okay, it's a requirement... otherwise its a penalty, not a bonus.    Yes, it's a good thing I don't write rules.

What about as you leave the loading table?  Here, I keep them up, but not necessarily slightly down range.  After all, as I walk away from the line, more and more people are down range rather than uprange, and I think it’s safer to actually face the way Im walking while carrying firearms. 

It's right there in the ROIII Manual... Don't sweep anyone.  Accomplish that and everything else is fine.

The design of some stages can make it really difficult to keep long guns pointed down range.  If you have any down range movement, how does one get back to the ULT without being a contortionist?  Plus when brassers and target resetters are quick on the job they may move faster than the shooter.   When in this situation it is important for the shooter to keep muzzles high and fingers away from triggers.

Common sense prevails!!!Usually if a shooter is going to the loading table and is just taking out his firearms or is in line and has the firearms on his shoes a simple watch your barrels will take care of it.  

A little off topic, but some of us newbies try to play this very enjoyable GAME by the rules. The rules are not that complicated, but do have a few twists and turns. We appreciate it when someone who really knows what they are talking about take the time to educate us. Yes everything is in the rule book. But in all honesty some of us poor old not techy folks do better with paper books instead of a screen. So again Tks PWB

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I think I'm going to cry...

You been naughty and Santa didn't visit you?

Don't feel too bad..... I was nice and still didn't get anything..... :o

..........Widderborg

When I take on RO responsibilities one of my pet peeves is spotters, shooters and others mulling around and gabbing while a shooter is trying to move from the loading table to the firing line or to the unloading table after shooting. 

I now always talk to the posse and ask them to please step back and allow the shooter a straight and clear line to and from the shooting positions. Shooters may be thinking of a lot of things and weaving in and out of a crowd to get to where they need to go is one they should not have to deal with. It is enough of a challenge to carry  firearms to and from our gun carts when we have a large posse and tight spaces. 

I make sure the path is clear before I call a shooter to stage firearms and when they are done I ask the target setters, spotters and brass pickers to stand back until shooter heads to the unloading table before converging on the stage to prepare it for next shooter. 

Just seems to make things easier and run more smoothly and safely. 

Archived