SASS Wire Forum

The Offical 2019 Mason Dixon Stampede Thread

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

Looks like three more folks managed to get their applications in to Dakota DJ before she slammed to door on the Pony Express Rider!  And I thought the last 5 were the "Olympic Level Procrastinators", I'm gonna have to come up with another category!  :rolleyes: :P    And, if the rumors are true, there is one more on the way, must be coming by slow boat from China!  That brings our current total to 141, exceeding our  attendance last year by 36 shooters.  Campers bumped up to 26 as two more decided to join the evening festivities with the "Thurmont Regulars".  When I was at the club last, the pool sure looked good with lots of folks enjoying the cool water on that hot day.  It is going to be a great place to cool off after a smokin' hot match!

Maryland maintains it's strangle hold on 1st Place holding at 40, Pennsylvania holds 2nd at 27, and New York, holds fast in 3rd with 18.  Way To Go NY!   North Carolina, South Carolina, and West Virginia each add one to their totals so let's give a a big welcome to Single Barrel Sam, High Cotton Kitty, and Mad Dog Max who have decided to join the party.

The latest, and possibly last, update to the Who's Coming List has been posted online.  I will try to do one more from the road if/when "The Boat" gets in, but that will all depend on the internet connection I have at the time, and if my Grand-Kids, Summer Breeze SASS# 103640 and DooHickey SASS#103641, give me 30 minutes of down time.  Apparently, they have completely planned out all of my time for the next couple of weeks!    Let's hope I survive it!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

What A Match!  Sounds like everyone there had a great time, and the weather was as good as it gets for early August in Maryland, but I'm sure you all are tired of me hoggin' this thread, so I will refrain from my normal verbosity and give you exactly what you came for, The Winners and the Scores!  So, without further ado,

Congratulations to Two Gun Tuco (fresh out of retirement :lol:) as Top Overall and Top Male beating out the 2nd place finisherTombstone Coty by 0.02 seconds.  That's right :rolleyes: "Blink" and You Lose!  Talk about close finishes!  And a Huge Congratulations to Spinnin' Sally as Top Female who continues to dominate this match "for like forever" and one of the nicest folks you will ever have the pleasure to meet.  You would be hard pressed to find better representatives for SASS or the Cowboy Way than these two.

As for the rest of the scores, they can be found here.  (Links on the Website should be updated later today, but you can access the scores directly using the links below!)

2019 Mason Dixon Stampede - Main Match Scores - Overall Finish

2019 Mason Dixon Stampede - Main Match Scores - Category Finish

2019 Mason Dixon Stampede - Main Match Scores - Clean Matches

2019 Mason Dixon Stampede - Side Match & Special Awards

I would like to close by saying that it was a pleasure to see so many names from the past listed among the shooters this year, and especially to see Two Gun Tuco return to place at the top of the leader board.  If that's what "A Little Bit Rusty" looks like, better watch out if he ever gets oiled up!  Truly, I am thrilled to see you all back, even for a little while, you have all been greatly missed.

Lastly, I want to extend my most since congratulations to Dutch Coroner who had the reigns for the Mason Dixon Stampede thrust into his hands and who, without hesitation, stepped up and put on a fantastic match!  I have absolutely no doubt that the Stampede will get better and better in the years to come.  Congratulations, Pard!

And I would be remiss if I did not I extend my most sincere thanks to the rest of the Mason Dixon Committee, Misfire Maggie, M.T.Chambers, D.Q.Dave, Chance Calico, Rifleman CW, Dakota DJ, Ruger Rose, Duece Diamondback, Catoctin, Ca$h Caldwell, and to the TCSC Kitchen Committee as well as all the Thurmont Conservation Sportsman's Club members, and to everyone else who helped to make this match possible.  Without YOU ALL, this would not be possible!

The 2019 Mason-Dixon Stampede review. The 18th MDS is in the books. This year featured a new match director, Dutch Coroner and a new date, first weekend in August. 
We pulled in with our RV and were immediately helped by a staff member checking us on the camping list and showed us several spots we could choose from. Hookups had water and electricity. After setting up we registered and were warmly greeted by match officials we pick up our shooters pack and pulled a shotgun hull from a box with a number and were given a door prize. 
We shot the 3 stage blast which is a great way to warm up and check out the range and props. Each of the stages were manned by volunteers to ensure smooth running. 
On day one we opened with the Pledge of Allegiance, Singing of the Star Spangled Banner, and a prayer. Sponsor’s were recognized as well as the men and women who made the match possible. Veterans were also recognized. A safety brief was given and we possed up and headed for our starting stage. 
Shooting started at 10am and we finished the 6 of 10 stages around 2pm. The targets were big and close with no brain teasers, there was movement on every stage, no stand and deliver stages. 
It was very warm high 80’s there was free bottled water and Gatorade in ice chests every other bay. That was critical, and MUCH appreciated. That evening there was a pot luck dinner and hot dogs. I can’t speak to this as we had dinner at a favorite BBQ place in nearby Fredrick The Black Hog. 
Day two we started around 845am and finished 4 stages at noon. The awards started at 130pm and were done by 230pm they were not rushed.  I’m thankful this was not a dreaded 2-3 hour award ceremony. I’ve sat through a few of those and they suck. 
Did I mention the POOL? Yes a POOL! The club allowed us to use their pool which also had a certified life guard on duty. Cost was $5 a day or $25 for family all weekend. It was heaven! 
I want to thank everyone who put this match together and invite all of you to shoot MDS in 2020. 
John Barleycorn #76982

Thank you all for the kind comments!  It's glad to know that everyone had a great time.

I have added the Side Match & Special Awards information to the web and the link below will take you directly to it, (you may have to refresh your browser.)  Sorry for the delay, stuff happens.... :blush:

Once again, congratulations to Two Gun Tuco and Spinnin' Sally as the overall match winners and to everyone else who came out and played Cowboy with the Thurmont Rangers at the 2019 Mason Dixon Stampede, you are all winners in my book.

As for the rest of the scores, they can be found here.  Links on the Website have be updated, but you can access the scores directly using the links below!

2019 Mason Dixon Stampede - Main Match Scores - Overall Finish

2019 Mason Dixon Stampede - Main Match Scores - Category Finish

2019 Mason Dixon Stampede - Main Match Scores - Clean Matches

2019 Mason Dixon Stampede - Side Match & Special Awards

Until next year...

512130561.jpg

Archived