SASS Wire Forum

Feedback on canvas gunbelts

Cibola Al

I did try and diligently search for info, so if I missed a previous thread I apologize.

I am toying with the notion of a canvas belt (like those made by Jax Leather Co) instead of leather for hanging my pistolas off of. I tend to be a sweaty fella and having a belt that breathes is fairly appealing. I know quite a few folks use canvas shotgun belts, but I was hoping to hear how the canvas holds up for regular gunbelt use.

Holds up well, CA.  I have a loading strip by Jax I can show you on the 19th if you show up for the Renegades CAS match.  It's very good quality and was priced fairly.

I've used a canvas belt to carry my 1860 RM conversions in slim jim holsters & shotgun shell slide for 5+ years.  It has held its shape well, no tilting, sagging or rolling.  One real advantage is it flexes when you bend over. 

I believe I bought it & the holsters from Buffalo Arms. 

I have a Jax belt that I won a couple of years ago.

The folks put the loops just were I wanted'em, and it's a great belt.

When you get yours-Spray it heavy with Scotch Guard. Cuts way down on the dirt and makes it much easier to clean.

The folks at Jax are top notch in every way!

OLG

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

They hold up just fine and they're a bit lighter than a normal gunbelt. 

http://jm-leather.com/canvas_belt.htm Scroll down the page to find the one Johnny made for me.( not for sale for any reason :D ).  

Also:

WOW-sure does look like first class work :excl:

OLG

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

WOW-sure does look like first class work :excl:

OLG

I'll try and take a picture tonight/tomorrow with them on and guns in holsters. I'm not going to claim that he's the best out there (because we have a bunch of fine leatherworkers), but Johnny does a d@mn fine job and is as good as some of the other big names.

12 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I may be wrong, but I would think the 3 inch version would hold the holsters better.

IF, your holsters will clear a 3" wide belt.

My Knights Leather holsters do not.......

OLG

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Holds up well, CA.  I have a loading strip by Jax I can show you on the 19th if you show up for the Renegades CAS match.  It's very good quality and was priced fairly.

Hey Edward R S Canby, I will be there on the 20th for Wild bunch, but not on the 19th for the regular match. It is a 2.5 hour drive for me. When the weather gets better I may come down on Sat and camp overnight across from the range so I can do both the Sat and Sunday shoots.

Love my canvas pistol  belts.  Very comfortable to wear. Just picked up another one here last week.    GW

10 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

IMG_20190107_210939856_crop_348x388.jpg.f05b4c1686acd704dc23e18d83c3a16e.jpgIMG_20190107_210952715_crop_388x388.jpg.4b0c03928b5a43125d1b14fb5aff1478.jpg

That’s a nice looking gun belt.

Good looking belt for sure. Another thing I like about the JM belts, they have a tan option. Looks like Rich Diamond at our club has a canvas Wild Bunch rig from JM, I didn't even notice. I'll have to pester him for a gander.

Just now, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Do the holsters stay in place on a canvas gun belt?

Well mine stay fine, but it's a 3" belt and Johnny puts these little plastic spacer things inside that holds them where I slide them to. I'll try and take a picture of that tomorrow.

I use a  pair of canvas belts. One as a pistol belt and one as shotgun. I got them from Texas Jack's. They work well and don't slip and with canvas loops no verdigris on the brass.

I've got 3 canvas gun belts, 1x .38, 1x .44 (depends on the pistols I feel like using) and 1 for shotgun. I've been using them for 3 years now and they are the most comfortable gun belts I have worn in 21 years of shooting cowboy action.

Archived