SASS Wire Forum

Home made shotgun belt-pic heavy

Lunger Dan

So, I was on a social media group about old west clothing, and saw an advert-and example of a "pooler and jones" cartidge holder. Patented in the 1860s.
I wanted to find a schematic or template for one-but couldnt.

So, I set about to make a template off of the pics I could find....and through much trial and error with aluminum first, then brass..  Making the template, then-finding a process that worked  using a vice and a correct size socket, hammer and some good squeezing...I came up with a (hopeful) semblance of what they were. I aged the brass too.
I kinda like the idea that the shells "grip" can be adjusted....I have a tendency to drop shells out of my worn leather shell belt when I move around/bend over.

Terrible idea? 

48425720_508903369601943_6832329306123796480_o.jpg

49022213_508903242935289_4471896098641805312_o.jpg

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

IMG_3325.JPG

I think you found a market. This would be NCOWS compliant too.

Great job .

Very kool B)

Rooster 

That’s pretty danged neat. Great idea and follow through.

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

From where did you obtain the brass material?  Is it springy or soft like copper?  

I'm thinking,  make them out of Magtech brass hulls.   $1 each for base material but pretty much already formed.

50BMG cases?

Hobby shop brass sheet...it's got a pretty good amount of spring to it due to thickness

Hoss, that is one cool rig!  I've always carried my shells just in a vest pocket, but I may have to make up something like this.  Really well done.  The antiquing of the brass adds a lot.

Nice work!

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

12 minutes ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

People want to know, how well does it work?

Well, at home it works well..I can vary the length of shell sticking up, they dont fall out when I bend over, I can vary the amount of "hold on each one, they slip out nice and easy...
As far as at a match-I will be using it this Saturday...but Im not much of a judge-I suck at the "competition"  . Always at the bottom of the heap.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Is your vest pocket below your belly button?   <_<

JUST KIDDING!

Well, I reckon the bottom pocket is at least as low as my navel . . . :D

Actually, I think most folks appreciate the extra time it takes me fumbling with the fabric in a pocket.  Gives them time to stretch, yawn, use the privy, take a nap, etc. before scoring my shotgun shots. . .

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

1 hour ago, Lunger Dan said:

Well, at home it works well..I can vary the length of shell sticking up, they dont fall out when I bend over, I can vary the amount of "hold on each one, they slip out nice and easy...
As far as at a match-I will be using it this Saturday...but Im not much of a judge-I suck at the "competition"  . Always at the bottom of the heap.

Better on the bottom of the heap and havin fun, then not on the heap at all  :D . 

16 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

Always at the bottom of the heap.

Not since I've been shooting with y'all.

Really nice shotgun belt you made there.  Can't wait to see it in person on Saturday.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:03 PM, Lunger Dan said:

So, I was on a social media group about old west clothing, and saw an advert-and example of a "pooler and jones" cartidge holder. Patented in the 1860s.
I wanted to find a schematic or template for one-but couldnt.

So, I set about to make a template off of the pics I could find....and through much trial and error with aluminum first, then brass..  Making the template, then-finding a process that worked  using a vice and a correct size socket, hammer and some good squeezing...I came up with a (hopeful) semblance of what they were. I aged the brass too.
I kinda like the idea that the shells "grip" can be adjusted....I have a tendency to drop shells out of my worn leather shell belt when I move around/bend over.

Terrible idea? 

48425720_508903369601943_6832329306123796480_o.jpg

49022213_508903242935289_4471896098641805312_o.jpg

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

IMG_3325.JPG

The wheels are turning. I’d like one of these in the bandoleer style.

Howdy

Very nice.

I was afraid you were going to run afoul of the rules about cartridge belts.

"Cartridge loops must not have a metal or plastic liner. However the entire loop may be made of metal."

Looks very cool to me.

Nice job.

Howdy Partner,

It was a pleasure meeting you and watching you shoot this morning. I must say your belt looks better in person. The pictures don’t do it justice. It seemed to be very functional in both speed and security. DIY craftsmanship all around. Job well done.

26 minutes ago, Uncle Tater said:

Howdy Partner,

It was a pleasure meeting you and watching you shoot this morning. I must say your belt looks better in person. The pictures don’t do it justice. It seemed to be very functional in both speed and security. DIY craftsmanship all around. Job well done.

Thanks Tater...hope to see you come again and shoot!

On 1/8/2019 at 5:13 PM, Deadshot Dan said:

Better on the bottom of the heap and havin fun, then not on the heap at all  :D . 

As I always say when I shoot Plainsman in which I’m at the bottom.  I’m just a firm foundation for which everyone to build on!!

6 hours ago, Clueless Bob said:

As I always say when I shoot Plainsman in which I’m at the bottom.  I’m just a firm foundation for which everyone to build on!!

Shooting your Maynard or Spencer rifles moves you quite a bit UP the list !  ;)

Archived