SASS Wire Forum

Wild bunch Shotguns

J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE

I have a couple of Model 12 Winchesters- One is a 12 ga, the other is a 20 with a vent rib barrel.  Both are full choke and 28" barrels IIRC.

What is the preferred set up for Wild Bunch for the shotgun in terms of length and choke?  Any difference in the set up from the way we use a shotgun in CAS shoots?

Thanks

Go over to the WB Forum and ask around. 12 gauge only in WB. Main difference is you may start with the shotgun stoked with 6 in the magazine, action closed, hammer down on empty chamber.

https://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/

In local matches I mostly see 18-20” barrels but the “intact” longer barrels are fine, too.

Wild Bunch pistol/rifle target distances tend to be longer than those in CAS matches but I’ve never seen a shotgun target at a distance requiring a choke.  

I shoot 97s for cowboy and wild bunch. Have 3 with 20-22 inch barrels. Longer is fine, just shorter barrels are more maneuverable and there is always some movement. At 10-15 yards if you're using a choked barrel you actually have to be more accurate as you don't get much spread and hence more likely to miss. I have gotten hits on knockdowns when my front sight is not even on the target, the spread pattern still got enough lead on the target to knock it down.

Mine has a 28" modified choke. I was going to cut it down, but after shooting it for awhile I've decided just to let it ride.

I like the 30” barrel on my M12 for WB shooting.   More barrel weight to absorb slide movement and easier to point.   I don’t have to move the shotgun as much to combat load like in cowboy shooting.  Run it like you stole it for awhile before you spend the money to chop it off.     jmho. Most WB stages are cramped for space due to target requirements.  Therefore, usually not a lot of shotgun movement.

Just picked up a 1920’s vintage Model 12 with a Poly- choke. It seems no pump shotgun in that era was safe from one of these. Going to cut it to 23”.

Before you cut the barrel on the 20ga,  I am not an expert,  but they are usually much more valuable than the 12ga guns.   I have a model 12 at 23 in and a 97 at the same.   I like a longer sight radius and more weight out front.  Bullett 19707

11 hours ago, Duster Tom said:

Just picked up a 1920’s vintage Model 12 with a Poly- choke. It seems no pump shotgun in that era was safe from one of these. Going to cut it to 23”.

I was selling Mod 12's for a while. I have a whole drawer of partial bbl.'s with poly chokes on them...….lol

Don't use a 97 any more.   Pretty familiar with them, but I shoot a double more reliably.

Won't make this months mid month match, probably be the summer before I can make one.  Thank you for the invite.  I will make one later this year.

Not going to cut either gun.  Don't know what they are worth, the 20 ga is a fair bit nicer, but I have no general use for a 20 Ga so it may go up for sale or trade at some point.

Thank you all.

I have Buckets full of the old Lyman and Polychokes  that I have cut to make Wild Bunch Shotguns.  The Winchester model 12's have about half the moving parts of a model 97.  Nearly all the shotguns I build for WB the barrels are cut over  23".  My son and I  shoot factory length M 12's at 26". Our shotguns have over 20,000 rounds shot in each of them in WB and WB Clays.  We have not had any breakdowns or hickups  at all.

15 hours ago, Goatneck Clem said:

I have Buckets full of the old Lyman and Polychokes  that I have cut to make Wild Bunch Shotguns.  The Winchester model 12's have about half the moving parts of a model 97.  Nearly all the shotguns I build for WB the barrels are cut over  23".  My son and I  shoot factory length M 12's at 26". Our shotguns have over 20,000 rounds shot in each of them in WB and WB Clays.  We have not had any breakdowns or hickups  at all.

So what you're saying is I should sell the 97 I've been saving as a back up to my model 12? Lol

If you'd like to ship all those chokes to me, I'd gladly take then off your hands. I'm making a set of wind chimes out of all the barrel stubs and poly chokes I have and giving it away as a door prize at the WV state shoot. But I need more stubs and chokes. I even have 6" of a pietta 58 Remington barrel I cut off that will be the center piece that swings around and hits the "chimes".

6 minutes ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

Bruce - I have a 7' barrel remnants  from a Daly 500 SXS that I'll save for you if spring ever arrives at CASS.

Church Key

Awesome! I only have 2 pieces from a double. Bring it with you to one of our matches, please. The only match I'll miss this year is memorial day weekend. The match is the same day as the last rolling thunder, Jinxy and I are getting a room that Saturday night and riding to the Pentagon from the hotel. However, I am going to be camping out for the Mason Dixon stampede this year. Since it's not the week after showdown, I'll be able to go.

BTW, I'm writing the March match... It's going to be... Different...:ph34r:

I'm making a set of wind chimes out of all the barrel stubs and poly chokes I have

You sure you are not COMPENSATING for something?  :lol:

BB if you have a M97 that works good and is reliable by all means keep it.   You never know the next shotgun you buy be a 97 or m12 it might not be as good as the one you sold

9 hours ago, Goatneck Clem said:

BB if you have a M97 that works good and is reliable by all means keep it.   You never know the next shotgun you buy be a 97 or m12 it might not be as good as the one you sold

That's great advice. I got a M12 the day after they were legalized and they are much faster than a M97......and more reliable. Maybe that's why they are a later model gun.....it's almost like Winchester made improvements on it...…..lol. 

All that said I like my SXS better for SASS and the M12 for WB but I still will never get rid of my 97.....it's just too sweet and you never know if you'll need it again. 

I've got almost no money I'm my 97. I was going to use it for WB but then got the model 12 as a birthmas gift and it's like brand new. Seriously, I don't think it had been shot more than a handful of times. I got my Baikal for my birthday and it was NIB. I'm currently working it into a cowboy gun but it still isn't as smooth and fast as my old Stevens 315. It may become a back up to the 315 instead of replacing it. Last thing I'm doing to the Baikal before I decide it's future is replacing the hammer springs. If that does the trick, I'll be cutting the extractor and cutting the barrel to 20"... One more stub!!!

I took the single barrel stubs I currently have and rang them with my dead blow hammer and shortened them until they rang in flat keys. I figure that should make the whole thing creepy sounding... I'm using an old rear motorcycle sprocket to hang them from, steel cable fishing leaders to attach the barrels, a front sprocket as the center and the 58 Remington barrel at the bottom. I'll decorate the top with all the broken triggers, hammers, old barrels, cylinders, etc I've accumulated over the years... 

It's a good way to get rid of a bunch of junk without throwing it away...lol...

Archived