SASS Wire Forum

Loading Black Powder Pistol Rounds on a progressive

klw

One of these days ....  I'm going to find a wing nut or make something with a knob so I can remove them side washer on the tumbler on a Lyman 55 without having to deal with that stubby little screw.  I don't know how many times my big,  fumble fingers have dropped it. 

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

One of these days ....  I'm going to find a wing nut or make something with a knob so I can remove them side washer on the tumbler on a Lyman 55 without having to deal with that stubby little screw.  I don't know how many times my big,  fumble fingers have dropped it. 

+1!

I am in terror of dropping the screw on the floor and never finding it again.

The internet has enabled most of the equipment companies to file their user manuals right on line.   Lyman is a good example, and Hornady another.  Work on the measure and my latest project (a Pacific/Hornady 366 shotshell loader rebuild) benefit from me having downloaded and saved their manuals onto my computer in a Firearms Manuals folder. 

Takes just a bit of a web search, but the BP Lyman 55 powder measure manual is here:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/user/file/7/7/7767775_55_classic_black_powder_measure.pdf

Their general manual index is:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/user_manuals/user/

Hornady manuals index is:

https://www.hornady.com/support/user-manuals#!/

If you are afraid of loosing a part during disassembly, work over a  cut-down cardboard box that is big enough to hold what you are working on.  That's much faster for me to do, than it is to cleanup my workroom floor before starting into a project......:lol:        If you suspect something is spring loaded, make a full box with a couple of hand holes and the top covered with taped down plastic wrap to  catch any wayward flyers.

Good luck, GJ

I always like to see DRIFTWOODs explanations and examples.  Stuff anyone can understand.  Not to mention his swell pictures!!

I also load pistol caliber cartridges on my Dillon(s).  Two set up, one for large primers and one for small primers (I are lazy).  I have had ZERO problems loading Black.  I also load APP.  I found 2f APP WILL bridge in the Dillon measure so I only load 3f APP in the 650.  I use 2f for Shotgun (Scoops).  Never a problem with Electro Static Discharge.  Never a problem with Federal Primers.  Whats all the fuss??

Been loading all my BP rounds on a Hornady L-N-L progressive for many (15+ ?) years.  Only difference between loading BP and smokeless is using a Hornady BP powder measure for the BP rounds instead of the smokeless measure. 

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Archived