SASS Wire Forum

Alliant Sport Pistol Powder

Lawdog Dago Dom

Back in July, there was a brief discussion of this powder on the Wire. I don't believe anybody had tried it at that time. It is suggested to be an excellent powder for coated bullets, and is said to meter well. The velocities I have found listed for 38 Special (125 gr)put it comfortably under 1000 fps (max load). I spent some time reading threads on Brian Enos' pages about folks shooting it in semi-autos, and it seems to perform quite well.

Have any SASS folks used this powder yet? Revolvers and/or rifles? Going to make a bulk powder purchase later this year, and would consider using this. Currently using up a load of Green Dot (16 lbs) that was too good to pass up.

Would Sport Pistol translate well into a shotgun load? Could not find shotgun loading data on it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

LDD

It's my new favorite powder and I've used over 70 pounds of it in the last 9 months. When you read Alliant data they list the max load, you are supposed to reduce that by 10% to establish a starting load. Which for a cast 125gr. is 3.69gr. I am been extremely pleased with it's performance. It meters well and has a much lower recoil impulse when compared to Clays and Titegroup. It reminds me a LOT of VV N320. I think it's one of the best kept secrets for our game. 

Archived