SASS Wire Forum

Hollywood and History

I've had the Grit channel on the last couple of days whilst I reorganize my reloading space. On it was the movie "Quantrill's Raiders" made in 1958. There I learned that Quantrill's raiders were only a dozen guys who looked like they came off the Bonanza set. I also learned that the Sack of Lawrence failed because the film's hero warned the Union garrison there ahead of time. Oh, and the hero killed Quantrill on the streets of Lawrence. The end.

Who knew? :rolleyes: 

PS: Leo Gordon who played Quantrill, has always been great as the heavy in so many films and TV

LG1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Don't look to Hollyweird for historical accuracy.

I never did again after Doc Holliday was killed in the "gunfight at the OK Corral" in a famous movie(don't recall which one).

That might have been, My Darling Clementine (1946) with Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp and Victor Mature as Doc Holliday. 

2 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Yeah, I think you're right. I thought I remembered John Ford rewriting history.

I saw an interview with Ford where he claimed My Darling Clementine was factually correct. He could be a real pompous SOB inside and outside of Hollywood.

As others have said, don't rely on Hollywood for factual history.  

While the movie Patton is great and George C. Scott did a magnificent job, the movie tends to emphasize Patton's negatives while diminishing his accomplishments, which I suppose is to be expected when Omar Bradley was a consultant on the film and that his own book was a major source for the screenplay.  Patton and Bradley were not friends and in Patton's diary, later published as the "Patton Papers" he was critical of Bradley.

Archived