SASS Wire Forum

Editorial (update)

Snakebite

2 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

SHB Page 4

Outlawed Items

Designer jeans are not allowed. Designer jeans include modern jeans that have
slogans or logos embroidered, silk screened, and such, saying things like “PINK”
or “BABY.” Jeans with fancy or flashy adornments are acceptable.

Yes, thank you.... I actually have a fair idea of what the rules are. Like I said... I'm not upset about them... I just don't like them... feel the same way about Dodges. :P

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Vicki Cudney said:

Giving my opinion doesn’t mean it’s right or wrong , not arguing with you guys, just saying. Geeze. I know jeans are legal, I just am saying what I like and miss. If that’s wrong then so be it. I’ll stay off of here. Good grief.

Hi Vicki,

Please don't let them chase you off. I used to write that I came here for skin thickening exercises. I gave up on that. My skin will never be that thick.

There is an "ignore" feature. Try it, make your posts, and ignore theirs.

Regards,

Allie Mo (AKA The Most Hated Person on the SASS Wire)

PS At least, no one called you names.

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Yes, thank you.... I actually have a fair idea of what the rules are. Like I said... I'm not upset about them... I just don't like them... feel the same way about Dodges. :P

I hear you, but you'd be surprised on how many people do not have an idea of what the rules are.  Well, let me take that back...you may not be surprised at that.:blink:

I do know that there are a lot of folks who are equally upset that Dodge doesn't make trucks anymore. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Vicki Cudney said:

Giving my opinion doesn’t mean it’s right or wrong , not arguing with you guys, just saying. Geeze. I know jeans are legal, I just am saying what I like and miss. If that’s wrong then so be it. I’ll stay off of here. Good grief.

Don't take things personally on this forum.  A lot of comments are posted with good intentions, albeit a poor presentation.

As was said, "jeans" are legal. If you want to wear Levi's do so. Not me they are a big anti-gun organization. You won't see a pair of Levi's anywhere near a pro, college, or high school rodeo. Its all Wrangler. And Wranglers are period correct the only issue being they came out after Levi's.

Ike

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If the outfits draw in more folks-Go for it.

You see how(sarcasm ON)NCOWS has turned out with their strict costume/equipment rules.

ME-I'd like to see a Saloon Girl category. :D

OLG

OLG,

You forgot to turn the sarcasm OFF.  We need to know when you're not using it anymore... :P

I'm relatively new to CAS, having begun 2-1/2 years ago.   Here is the perspective of two new members, who found something attractive enough here to cause us (my wife and me) to make the big expenditures and join in the Fun. 

Both of us were raised on TV westerns.   So playing cowboy was a big part of both of our early childhood.  After many (50+) years in more serious endeavors, we watched just ONE Kings River Regulators monthly match, and we both jumped in with both barrels.  This is California, so it took nearly six months to get our guns purchased, but generous KRR members were everywhere around us to lend us their expensive equipment, to get started.  Wonderful people ! 

Now, after becoming equipped and making some improvement in my own performance, I'm finding myself at a crossroads, to either:  1) shoot for enjoyment, cowboy play, and comaraderie, or 2) focus more narrowly and shoot for the fast times.  The current design of stages tends to push all of us toward the latter.  

One thing is obvious.   There is a point where target numbers can be reduced, target distances can be reeled in, courses of fire can be simplified, guns can be modified. and clothing can be compacted to a point where we will probably see some  5-second stages, and ten second stages will become pretty common.  It will then become a contest of who can best improve their "primitive firearms" (which seems like a bit of an oxymoron). 

That speed shooting end-point seems fun enough from the competition perspective, but it isn't what Roy Roger's or Matt Dillon used to do, so it doesn't really seem like my idyllic cowboy play.   And to become a champion at such a simplified sport might make me feel a bit like the "King of Nothing".  I don't really need a belt buckle to commemorate my ability to rapidly shoot big targets at six feet.  

Alternatively, since we want to be called championship "shooters", then maybe a champion "shooter" should be able to reliably hit a target that is smaller than 16" and/or further out than eight feet.   After all, it is supposed to be "shooting", which by its nature implies some kind of  distance, carefulness, precision, and accuracy.   Our best shooters, who have the best equipment, and who practice-practice-practice would likely remain our top shooters, regardless of the shooting difficulty.  So this membership question seems to be a decision about defining the sport, not just defining the competition scope.  

As a newcomer, those seem to me to be the choices.  The speed path is fun, but it leads to little opportunity to do what drew me here in the first place, which was to play cowboy.   When I look at Snakebite's old photos and videos of matches past, my imagination takes me back to another time.  Seeing people mounted on wooden horses or shooting atop a buckboard, and shooting slowly but accurately, is much more like playing cowboy to me.  Those can still be done rapidly with practice, and be a part of serious competition.  And should I ever win, I just might feel like Matt Dillon for a few minutes.  For the time being, I feel more like Festus -- but I can  still feel like a COWBOY ! 

The question of membership shrinkage may just be attrition, as us older guys and gals who were raised on TV westerns fade out, with no similar social demographic coming along to replace us.   Today, kids were raised on Rambo and fast action.  So Three Gun is probably enjoying better membership growth and more young shooters.   

Maybe we just need to engage in our cowboy play to the maximum, while we have it to ENJOY, and in our search for new members, continue looking for those who can correctly answer the question, "Who was Trigger". 

DD, there are some ways to experience the shooting you like.  One, volunteer to be a match director and set up some stages where the targets are not at SASS-recommended minimums.  Seek out matches advertised to have "retro" CAS stages.  Encourage your local club to offer Cody Dixon rifle targets placed at distance instead of so close you don't have to use your sights.  I like to shoot cap and ball revolvers and am pleased when I can finish in the middle of the pack with them in a main match.  BTW, major matches have side matches where precision or long-distance shooting is required.  I think you would enjoy these.  Practice long range shooting with your cowboy firearms and then complete in the side matches at Winter Range.  Maybe you can be a national champion shooting the way you love.  Have fun at local matches and enjoy the people.

Trigger was stuffed and later sold for $266,000 to RFD-TV.  I preferred the unreliable Jeep Nelle Belle to Trigger.  It resembled the worn-out equipment on my father's dairy farm.

DDD and the CAS community at large, I don't see why it has to be an "either/or". Like has been mentioned, volunteer - write stages the way you would like to see them, do the match setup (setup crews are vital). You can have fun with all of the aforementioned activities off and yes, even ON the clock, that make the Cowboy game so much fun and when it comes to actually aiming (yes, some still do this) and pulling the trigger, strive for accuracy and speed. Accuracy first, then work on the speed... it will come. See what others are doing that you like and unashamedly use their ideas. No more sincere form of flattery. I LOVE when I see other clubs use stuff I have written into my stages. And SHARE! I don't understand why more clubs don't post their stages on their websites. Be proud of what you do and let others see. I shoot with guys who, even though they may prefer no hokey Cowboy stuff, still get through it and then tear up the targets. And ya know what? They keep coming back. And most of the time they even have smiles on their faces.

I have never experienced the” old days” but have been active in the four corners area for the last seven years.   My family has really enjoyed SASS as it is today.  We have had the opportunity to flip cards, stab a dummy, carried gold during the stage,  pushed out windows etc…. and have the opportunity to shoot more matches where this is being done today.   Personally, I like it better if it is off the clock. I usually avoid too much of it   Most of the clubs around AZ and Nevada that we shoot at advertise these matches, and they are well attended.  They do not come close to the real old school that Deuce has described, but are an attempt to duplicate it.  Some like it and some do not .  It is a choice.  I am in the SASS competitions for the shooting.  Pushing my equipment and myself to the max (and over my  max,  I often  do crash and burn) but thoroughly enjoy shooting next to someone who is there for dress, or just loves the smell of smoke from the old firearms.   It is all great and everyone has a chance to have fun.     

Frankly, I do not hear a lot people complaining when I go to matches.  Everyone seems to be having fun and the clubs appear to be healthy and well attended in AZ.  I realize this could be different from club to club and state to state. It is a healthy conversation on the wire.  The question is what draws shooters to SASS today that will keep our clubs going in the future.   It is the people of SASS.  That is the common thread I hear over and over, especially from shooters from other disciplines.   My children have never seen the old westerns I grew up with, but they do enjoy the new ones. They really enjoy the competition and especially to people of SASS.

After observing the crowds at the AZ expo for the last seven years with the kids and I participating and working it, we have noticed the crowds often walk off when the narrator is talking about dress and styles of shooting.  But when the firearms are blazing, whether they short stroked fart loads or the black powder flame throwers, the crowds stick around .  The kids and I use to do exhibition shooting with blanks for the town of Sedona celebrating The Day of the Cowboy each year and drew in healthy crowds.  It appeared it was the fast shooting that excited them.   We love being around the dress and realize the impact it has on cowboy action shooting and would never advocate eliminating it.  It is who we are. The dress is obvious to the crowds and it makes us unique, but we do that is unique is the shooting. 

"...Now, after becoming equipped and making some improvement in my own performance, I'm finding myself at a crossroads, to either:  1) shoot for enjoyment, cowboy play, and comaraderie, or 2) focus more narrowly and shoot for the fast times."

I don't understand why these are mutually exclusive. I've been around some really fast, competitive (however one defines that) shooters. I can assure you that they all "shoot for enjoyment, cowboy play, and camaraderie" just like everyone else.

"...As a newcomer, those seem to me to be the choices.  The speed path is fun, but it leads to little opportunity to do what drew me here in the first place, which was to play cowboy."

Why/how?

55 minutes ago, Kirk James said:

The question is what draws shooters to SASS today that will keep our clubs going in the future.   It is the people of SASS.

100% agree with this statement and very observant coming from a young shooter.  A common misnomer is that the youth is the future of sass. This is far from the truth. The future of sass are the individuals with expendable income and or approaching retirement. This works two fold. One they are ending their carriers and looking for a hobby while the younger generation is just starting life, looking for jobs, going to school and (girls or boys) :).  Second we must set the example for the youth, like Cody said "it is the people of SASS". We have to make SASS a place where youngsters feel welcome and we do this by participation in the costuming, shooting and all around fun. This is the exact reason we need to recruit those individuals and get them excited about SASS. If that's hosting a "crazy old school" shoot once a year then do it. But overall it must be enjoyable for all crazy or fast.

I am a huge proponent in recruiting for SASS and it has paid off for our local clubs. By all means its not just me, but our community that participates in our recruitment process.

THESE ARE THE GOOD OL DAYS if we make them that way. Fast and close or quirky stuff.

H.Wolf

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

As was said, "jeans" are legal. If you want to wear Levi's do so. Not me they are a big anti-gun organization. You won't see a pair of Levi's anywhere near a pro, college, or high school rodeo. Its all Wrangler. And Wranglers are period correct the only issue being they came out after Levi's.

Ike

"Wrangler Jeans were first made by the Blue Bell Overall Company, who acquired the brand when they took over Casey Jones in the mid-1940s. Blue Bell employed Bernard Lichtenstein ('Rodeo Ben'), a Polish tailor from Łódź who worked closely with cowboys, to help design jeans suitable for rodeo use. This was the origin of Wrangler Jeans."

I'll pitch in my $.02.  I'm brand spanking new so it may be only worth $.01 haha.

I've really only seen the speed matches with the occasional movie tag line thrown in.  After reading about some of the old matches...   I would absolutely be into those!  It sounds super fun.  Actually, I'm feeling a little disappointed and maybe even gypped that I haven't seen one of those yet.  If I had, it would have drawn me in faster I think.  But, I'm not in it to win something.  I'm all about just having fun.  Sure I hope I'm fast but I am waaaaay more interested in the fun and love of the old west / westerns.  Fast would just be an added bonus for me. 

The Chinese Laundry sounds awesome haha.  Do you have to use the chopsticks provided or can you bring your own?  I have a set of short stroked chopsticks I'd prefer to use.  They're wicked fast...

Shooting from the bathtub cracked me up.  Not just the tub but that there was soap, sponge and I think a rubber ducky to really immerse you into the bath experience.  Too awesome haha.

As for luring new folks I can share my biggest hurdle.  Cost.  If you have nothing to start with it is EXPENSIVE.  If you're frugal you can get outfitted with quality gear and leather for just under $3k.  That's a pretty good chunk o' dough.  Ive talked to a few folks who have / had interest at one point but passed because to get in was too much.  I know most clubs have folks happy to share and help folks get in.  I know for me, I wasn't very comfortable with that.  I wasn't made to feel that way by any means.  It's just how I felt.  Just had an idea...  Not sure how possible / practical this is or if there's potential liability issues but, maybe clubs could have a "loaner set" for new folks to share?  folks may feel less weird borrowing from an entity than borrowing personal property.  I know I'd feel like I had more time to do gather gear that way.  

There's my $.01.  Hope you don't feel ripped off haha. 

1 hour ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

As for luring new folks I can share my biggest hurdle.  Cost.  If you have nothing to start with it is EXPENSIVE.  If you're frugal you can get outfitted with quality gear and leather for just under $3k. 

I too am new and although people were willing to share, I prefer to have my own gear. I had to buy everything but I was able to get several good used items from the classified wire and I bought my new Smoke Wagons in person from Taylor's when they had their big sale at the end of November. All in I am ready to shoot for just under $2500.

The expense is nothing to sneeze at and the forum veterans usually direct newbies toward "race ready" guns that are really expensive. I am new to Cowboy Action but not new to guns. I am here to have fun and doubt that I will ever out run stock guns.

Having been a part of The Shootout at Mule Camp for about ten of those Fourteen years and written three of the matches myself I have a great understanding for both sides of this coin. I worked for and closely with San Quinton for many years and I hate to think about sitting there and him predicting this entire situation.  I do believe Rainmaker is right however and that it has to be one way or the highway. I think that props and some fun  things HAVE to return or at least in some areas this will end. When I am asked about the gadgets that I used to write for Mule Camp by new shooters when they find out they come and ask again and again. By the way I have not been on the wire since 2008. Be Kind I do love this Game.      Blue Speirman #29883

I loved that RAIL car that I shot at Mule Camp.... went in a kicked down the door... that was fun... and so was the HUGE cowboy. The match was a Hoot.

1 hour ago, Blue Speirman said:

Having been a part of The Shootout at Mule Camp for about ten of those Fourteen years and written three of the matches myself I have a great understanding for both sides of this coin. I worked for and closely with San Quinton for many years and I hate to think about sitting there and him predicting this entire situation.  I do believe Rainmaker is right however and that it has to be one way or the highway. I think that props and some fun  things HAVE to return or at least in some areas this will end. When I am asked about the gadgets that I used to write for Mule Camp by new shooters when they find out they come and ask again and again. By the way I have not been on the wire since 2008. Be Kind I do love this Game.      Blue Speirman #29883

You mean I haven't been having any fun for the last 10 years? :rolleyes:

"And to become a champion at such a simplified sport might make me feel a bit like the "King of Nothing".  I don't really need a belt buckle to commemorate my ability to rapidly shoot big targets at six feet."

Man, what a slap in the face. 

Does this mean you have no desire to be fast, good, or accomplished in the cowboy game?

So you want to get into cowboy. Do you have strong competitive juices? Noooooooooooooo. I just wanna have fun. Yeah right.

We all have fun. I had fun stopping at all the steakhouses for filet and prime rib. I had fun sitting around the campfire sipping on a George Dickel with just a splash of Coke. I had fun from Maryland to Florida to New Mexico. 

Don't ever think you cannot have as much or more fun than anybody even though you practice for 30 minutes EVERY day. Most always put a smile on my face when I walked away from the firing line. 

You may play the game however you want but I was always looking to serve everybody a can of whoopass.

I am glad to see this and the editorial that got it started. These things are what drew me and a bunch of folks to CAS. The "cowboy way" and everyone having fun!! Before it turned into a thing where the top five percent of shooters were dictating the stage design and everyone else was there to pick brass for them. I remember when stage walk thru's didn't involve more than the posse marshals and didn't take 2 hours. 

I remember vertical staging, separate revolver sweeps, different rifle and revolver sweeps on the same stage, mattress springs, bath tubs and guns in boots, knocking over a whiskey bottle costing ya 5 seconds and how were ya gonna fish those jail keys off of the hook so you could start shooting. I remember a stage with a coffee can, magnet, battery and a buzzer that would cost ya 10 seconds if you set off the nitro. 

I came to CAS after shooting accuracy matches, trap, skeet and other games where the participants were so stiff that if ya said hello nobody said it back or said something kinda like "Oh yeah have ya ever been to Bordertown" (if ya catch my drift)? This game was fun!! The hokey things that went along with CAS made it more fun than just draining guns in the order of the transitions that ya had practiced made it that way. 

Cowboys were tuff, ornery, and could shoot from a tub! The folks that can't lay behind a hay bale and shoot are the not the heroes in the westerns, they are the townies that need rescuing by the hero (we could always accommodate someones bad knees). Rifles used to be able to send a projectile to the back of the bay and hit stuff. Smaller and half hidden stuff. 

Aprons, and sitting stages make crotch draws obsolete. Bullwhips are remembered years later when harassing your friends about getting wrapped up and not being able to run to the firing line. We still talk about having to "gently" place the baby in the cradle. We had a cut out that was added ringer for Wes Flowers and he loved it! Everyone supported the vendors and didn't argue about jeans. All of this made for a simpler rule book too! 

There were those that took the challenges and had a riot! Some guy tripped on his spurs and tore a hole in his new boots. And... I have found that those that like to really yuck it up off the clock don't really... 

One of the great advantages of SASS was that we were all in it for fun!  Some spent a lot of time to perfect their skills but it was open to all and we got to compete and have fun.  Most merely competed against those that they were relatively close to, a few went for the top - and they were for the most part, really fun folks to be around.  And there was a mix of folks that worked hard to put on the shoots, including many of the faster shooters.

When I got in it, I had been intimidated by some of the other action shooting sports - they were so fast and one gun cost $2,500 when I could then get outfitted with 4 guns for $300 or less for each gun.  Ruger Blackhawks were under $300 (used could be had for $150) and clones as low as $200.  Rifles were the 92 and Marlins for around $300 or a little less.  Shot guns were generally well under $300.  Even the "new" Vaqueros were only a little over $300. Those were great days, but we have no control of the costs. 

But a big determiner of who won back then was whose guns worked throughout the entire match!

We did try many neat things.  Some of them worked and were great fun. But

Have you tried to lay under a wagon and shoot your rifle?  We did - once.  It didn't turn out well.  Try it on your own at your practice and see how well the lever digs into the dirt.  (Then get up without breaking the 170.)

Once we were to shoot 7 rounds or so, then they handed you an arrow to hold under your arm (as if wounded) while finishing.  I enjoyed that.  But evidently it resulted in safety issues as it was not repeated.

Yes, I've shot from an old tub or two.  That was fun - about 20 years ago, but I'm not sure how well I could get in and out now.

Shot off "horses" that were 50 gallon barrels.  That was fun! I could readily get on, but even then it took 3 people to get me off.

But there are a LOT of great things you can do, especially at monthly or smaller matches. For example, set up a close card board target for simulating a majority of old west fights where you could almost touch your opponent.  And then mix a few longer shots with the rifle.

But remember that many of the fun things take more time.  And set up takes more time and work.

I didn't enjoy having to wait over 2 hours to shoot a stage then drive home for over 2 hours - in the dark.

But small numbers such as at most monthly matches give you much more opportunities.

Folks mentioned about a full pistol reload - remember that we often shot only one pistol then on some stages.

Even with all 4 guns, we had some full pistol reloads.  I remember being amazed at a top shooter, Single Action Jackson.  He quickly dumped the shells and then reloaded all in about 4 seconds.  It reminded me of a cartoon movie where the animated shells jumped from his hand into the cylinder.

They had a Top Gun shoot off at Hell on Wheels where they had a such a reload.  Single Action beat even their best - the next competitor was I think over 10 seconds behind. 

Ya see, we practiced such stuff.  And polished our cylinders and de-burred them to allow fast reloads.

So when you try some of the fun stuff, expect  the top shooters to totally run away from the rest of us as they will quickly adapt and practice roping, whipping, reloading, flipping pancakes, etc.  But that doesn't mean we won't all have fun trying it.

But also ask some of old timers what worked and what didn't.  They can be a great resource.

22 hours ago, Red Cent said:

"And to become a champion at such a simplified sport might make me feel a bit like the "King of Nothing".  I don't really need a belt buckle to commemorate my ability to rapidly shoot big targets at six feet."

Man, what a slap in the face. 

Does this mean you have no desire to be fast, good, or accomplished in the cowboy game?

So you want to get into cowboy. Do you have strong competitive juices? Noooooooooooooo. I just wanna have fun. Yeah right.

We all have fun. I had fun stopping at all the steakhouses for filet and prime rib. I had fun sitting around the campfire sipping on a George Dickel with just a splash of Coke. I had fun from Maryland to Florida to New Mexico. 

Don't ever think you cannot have as much or more fun than anybody even though you practice for 30 minutes EVERY day. Most always put a smile on my face when I walked away from the firing line. 

You may play the game however you want but I was always looking to serve everybody a can of whoopass.

Red Cent, I meant no offense or slap in anybody's face, and it wasn't my intent to degrade anybody's hard won accomplishments.  I certainly apologize if it came across that way.   I was writing about my own preferences and interests.  

We have diverse people in SASS with diverse interests, likes and dislikes.   A lot of the shooters here on this forum seem to like variety in targets (stationary and dynamic), stage design, diverse/challenging courses of fire, western thematic props, varied shooting distances, fun side tasks, and diversity in participant skills.  If it turns into just a close-in/big target speed game, I'm not sure all of those diverse interests are being cared for.  That may frustrate some folks, but I frankly doubt that it would cause very many of us to leave CAS.  The people and friendships here, by themselves, are enough to bind most of us.  

As far as shrinking membership rosters go, I don't think very many are leaving the sport over any of the above considerations.   What I see is older folks quitting for health related reasons, and many fewer younger people being drawn in.  The younger folks either can't afford it, or their interest is elsewhere.   Many of them also are tied to school schedules or to regular  jobs, so they can't just pick up and travel to multi-day matches.   They might remain members, but they simply can't compete very effectively at this stage in their lives. 

So I meant what I earlier wrote.  (paraphrasing here) that perhaps we should quit worrying about the long-term fate of the sport, and just enjoy it and it's great people now, as best we can.   If later generations catch the bug and want to join and keep it going, that is great, and we can make it as attractive as possible to them.  But I really doubt there is much we can do otherwise, short of becoming Hollywood producers and resuming the production of abundant western movies and TV programming aimed at the younger population.  

Does anyone have any data regarding the reclining membership?  While looking at pictures from the past, I do not see many young  or shooters or many older shooters .  Was that because the wild bunch were younger and promoting the sport?  No offense, you still look great!!  How do the no.s compare to 20 years ago?  That would give the sport or entertainment depending on how you look at it after 10-15  years. 

45 minutes ago, Kirk James said:

Does anyone have any data regarding the reclining membership?  While looking at pictures from the past, I do not see many young  or shooters or many older shooters .  Was that because the wild bunch were younger and promoting the sport?  No offense, you still look great!!  How do the no.s compare to 20 years ago?  That would give the sport or entertainment depending on how you look at it after 10-15  years. 

It might give you a small glimpse of the membership Cross section by looking at the scores from Winter Range,  EOT and other matches around the country. See which categories are the largest. I do believe that many of the oldest shooters don't attend the big matches because it gets more difficult to travel. Any why,  the Silver Senior and Elder Statesman categories are getting pretty large at most matches.  Also keep in mind that shooters can move down in category but not up.... and many do. Fact is. our shooters are ageing with the game... the bulk of new shooters IMO are also oldsters. Look at ANY match and see how few youngsters there are. THAT IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE, and anyone that believes different is just dreaming. Our best plan for the Future is to play to our current membership while encouraging the middle aged folks to join in. We will NEVER get enough youth to make any measurable difference.  I believe that there are some factors that do not see it that way. IMO it is a HUGE mistake. But what do I know. :wacko:

This topic about "jeans" cracks me up! Some folks are worried about "period" correct pants and we're shootin' Rugers and Uberti's!!! That's pretty funny!!:lol:

38 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

This topic about "jeans" cracks me up! Some folks are worried about "period" correct pants and we're shootin' Rugers and Uberti's!!! That's pretty funny!!:lol:

Yep!!!

42 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Hey Rye, not liking something and worrying about it are two different things.  As for the comparison with Uberti and Ruger. IMO both guns look pretty much correct to me.  Being Worried about the dress code was something that the WB did a while back.. they were worried that the dress code was deteriorating and that deterioration would have a negative effect on the uniqueness of the Game. IMO they were correct. The BIG reason that the Classic Cowboy category was added was NOT to put in a category for large caliber guns, but rather to help restore and uplift the DRESS CODE.  The large caliber was added to make it unique. Guess what.... the B-Western was also put in for the same reason. The ability to shoot Gunfighter Style was added to make it Unique.... I ADDED IT and was directly involved with both of them and know that to be a FACT. Helping to restoring the Dress code was a major factor in each of them. I'm not worried about people wearing modern jeans, it... it is allowed.... but if somebody had not "Worried" about the dress code somewhere along the line, out ranks would have many out there shooting in Tennis shoes, short sleeve Hard Rock T shirts, Shorts, Big Mac Hoodies, Ground dragging Crotch pants, ball caps and just about anything that you can imagine. The dress code is a major part of this game, and one of the things that I've always enjoyed. I wear Wranglers 99.9% of the time... just not when playing this game.  

34 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Hey Rye, not liking something and worrying about it are two different things.  As for the comparison with Uberti and Ruger. IMO both guns look pretty much correct to me.  Being Worried about the dress code was something that the WB did a while back.. they were worried that the dress code was deteriorating and that deterioration would have a negative effect on the uniqueness of the Game. IMO they were correct. The BIG reason that the Classic Cowboy category was added was NOT to put in a category for large caliber guns, but rather to help restore and uplift the DRESS CODE.  The large caliber was added to make it unique. Guess what.... the B-Western was also put in for the same reason. The ability to shoot Gunfighter Style was added to make it Unique.... I ADDED IT and was directly involved with both of them and know that to be a FACT. Helping to restoring the Dress code was a major factor in each of them. I'm not worried about people wearing modern jeans, it... it is allowed.... but if somebody had not "Worried" about the dress code somewhere along the line, out ranks would have many out there shooting in Tennis shoes, short sleeve Hard Rock T shirts, Shorts, Big Mac Hoodies, Ground dragging Crotch pants, ball caps and just about anything that you can imagine. The dress code is a major part of this game, and one of the things that I've always enjoyed. I wear Wranglers 99.9% of the time... just not when playing this game.  

My point is WHEN the Wranglers were made and people are complaining and worrying about that!  Rugers and Uberti's weren't made until the early 1950's, which was my point. 

I understand what you are saying, I've been doing this for 20 years so you're not telling me anything I don't know! ;)

Archived