SASS Wire Forum

Can you waive your rights if you're drunk?

Alpo

Watching My Man Godfrey, which was made in '36, and people didn't have rights back then. However

The pearl necklace has been stolen, and the cops walk into Godfrey's (the butler) room. He's pie-eyed, and sleeping it off. They wake him up, tell him the necklace is missing, and say, "Mind if we search your room?"

He says, "Not at all. I'll help", and staggers over to the dresser and starts throwing his clean clothes on the floor.

And I thought, "Wonder if that'd fly today?"

No simple answer.  Would probably be an evidentiary hearing. If LE can show that the person understood his/her rights, then there could be a basis for waiver of those rights.  Under these circumstances, LE would not perform a breath test.  In most states those tests are only related to driving offenses.  It is not LE's responsibility to provide a defense to the alleged perpetrator in this situation.  

I would have him sign a waiver and let the courts fight it out if the necklace found in his room. If he did not consent and I really thought, and have really good probable cause to back it up, would get a search warrant. Back then if he did not consent you would punch him out then search the room. 

“Driver’s breathalyzer“ in his bedroom? Please. I would tell the cops to shove off and go back to bed. If they persisted I would drunkenly phone my lawyer. 

More than likely I would go to jail and a couple of cops would have to seek medical attention   

40 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

“Driver’s breathalyzer“ in his bedroom? Please. I would tell the cops to shove off and go back to bed. If they persisted I would drunkenly phone my lawyer. 

More than likely I would go to jail and a couple of cops would have to seek medical attention   

Just an FYI - There are some states have a law that says it is illegal to be intoxicated anywhere in the state and consider it disorderly conduct.

46 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

(I haven't seen the movie)

Shame upon you. It's one of the classics of early comedy. I watch it two or three times a year.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wasn't talk'n about movie nonsense......-_-

There was no Miranda Rights warning, back when the movie took place

My statement was from real world DUI incidents, back when I was a LEO. ;)

OLG

Skewered question.  Rights?  We've had our Constitutional rights since the Constitution was ratified.  The Bill of rights granted those rights.  Miranda, 1966, just says the police have to "advise" you of those rights before questioning.   You've always had your rights.

Rights?

Rights?

Just to clarify my statement.  When I mentioned the subject understanding his rights, I was not referring to Miranda.  I was referring to the 4th Amendment which speaks to an individual being secure against unreasonable searches and seizures.  The 4th amendment didn't just magically appear as a result of a single court case.  We've had the 4th Amendment since the Bill of Rights was ratified.  Wasn't always clearly followed.  In the OP's scenario, a legal decision would have to be made as to whether the person who may or may not have been incapacitated due alcohol intoxication was in a state of mind to reject the request for the search.  

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

As a 1936 movie, compared and today's world of LE. ;)

OLG

The OP asked "wonder if that'd fly today?" which means we're talking present tense.

You answered "no" and went on to say you'd cuff him if he failed a sobriety test, and backed that up with your LEO DUI experience. I don't understand what DUI has to do with it and what would give any LEO that kind of authority inside one's residence?

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The OP asked "wonder if that'd fly today?" which means we're talking present tense.

You answered "no" and went on to say you'd cuff him if he failed a sobriety test, and backed that up with your LEO DUI experience. I don't understand what DUI has to do with it and what would give any LEO that kind of authority inside one's residence?

It's Winter-It's Sunday, and I'm hav'n some fun.........:P

OLG

It depends on how intoxicated the person is.  If consent is given, get it in writing.  If not, get a search warrant.  If he asks for his rights, give him some lefts too, and a couple of kicks as well.....lol

Archived