SASS Wire Forum

This strikes me as odd, but maybe not that uncommon...

Three Foot Johnson

The Billings Rod and Gun Club is at the upper left. The main runway of the airport, only 1.5 miles away, projects a line directly through the middle of it.

Runway.jpg

Where are the berms in relation to the airport and the runways?

As a general rule, both gun ranges and airports are built out in the sticks, to keep the noise away from the townsfolk.

I don't see it being that uncommon.

I have a cousin here who was going to develop a landfill, but the county planning board (or the FAA maybe...) nixed it because it was too close to the airport... a bit over 8 miles from the end of the runway, but, as above, in a direct line with the main runway. The reasoning being landfills attract seagulls, and his proposed site was directly in line with the runway, even though it was more than 8 miles away. The new landfill was eventually built about 3.8 miles from the end of the runway, but at about a 30 degree angle away from it.

At a range near where I live (not where I shoot at) as one looks at one's target, one can see aeroplanes landing and taking off across ones line of vision, far off in the distance.

............................ did I mention that I don't shoot there ? ……………… no Cowboy ………. :(

Airport is less than a mile from our range.

B291E98B-80D7-4929-9086-B0AE9F3DE694.jpeg

On a standard 3° glide slope, an airliner on final would be flying directly over an active shooting range at ~415' AGL, which just struck me as a bit odd. I guess it's not that uncommon. :mellow:

Unless my math is off, that is...

One degree at one mile = 92.2', so three degrees at one mile should be 276.6', and 276.6' x 1.5 = 414.9'... right?

4 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

It looks like the bays all face North.

I also looks like it might be in a low spot with small hills to the south east.

Right on all accounts..........my home range.  the master plan also made sure that several years ago the berms on all bays were raised substantially.

Placing the range next to an airport is in MY opinion genius....there is the Rehburg Ranch addition that is adjacent to the range and home to "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" that would dearly love to have the range close on noise abatement ......not happening....the airport and range were there LONG before that development was implemented.

Bugler

aka Randy

The Hartford Gun Club, where I used to shoot SASS matches, is only about 2-2.25 miles from Bradley, although the runways are not in a direct line with the club.  We routinely saw the big jets flying overhead and sometimes had to pause in the reading of stage instructions because of the noise from the jets.

12 hours ago, Bugler said:

Right on all accounts..........my home range.  the master plan also made sure that several years ago the berms on all bays were raised substantially.

Placing the range next to an airport is in MY opinion genius....there is the Rehburg Ranch addition that is adjacent to the range and home to "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" that would dearly love to have the range close on noise abatement ......not happening....the airport and range were there LONG before that development was implemented.

Bugler

aka Randy

My second home range and a very nice facility. Occasionally the stage instructions are interrupted by a take-off. Just pause a few seconds, and continue...

JC

Way back when I was stationed at NAS Rota Spain the base Motocross track was only 200 to 300 feet from the west end of the runway at about a 45 degree angle. When C-5s and C-141s would take off and bank to the right they passed directly over the track. They looked so close you felt like ducking as they passed over head.

Three of us lived in a run-down duplex off base at a Naval Air Station I was stationed at that was exactly 900 yards from the runway. After a month, your brain just tuned it out and let you finally sleep. Our old barracks on base was just shy of 2000 yards from the same runway. :lol: I don't know why we thought living off base was such a sweet deal, but we did.

A range where a Cowboy Action shooting club used to shoot (before the trap and skeet shooters got tired of having their parking spaces filled up once a month, and kicked the club off the range), we were adjacent to, but directly in line with an ANG (now a based owned by USAF, with ANG unit a tenant), any stray shots at an F-16 landing or taking off might have been met with return fire! :P  As it was, any shots going over the low berms did land in residential housing yards! Possibly another reason for relocating the CAS club! :o

Archived