SASS Wire Forum

Music to slow dance to...

Warden Callaway

31 minutes ago, punxsutawneypete said:

One of the most fun things I got to do was to sing "Unchained Melody" on the karaoke at some friends' wedding.

43 minutes ago, punxsutawneypete said:

"In the Still of the NIght" by the Five Satins.

27 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Interesting piece of music, that.  May go back to the 17th century in some form.  More interesting is that it gained greater popularity in the transformation to being about a young man who ruins his life visiting a bawdyhouse from the older versions of young women who were ruined because they had to work in bawdyhouses.

What a great thread!

Brings back evenings with a beautiful girl and enjoying the night, the music and the dance moves.  Sex wasn't so free and easy then as now.

You could go home with the smell of her hair and the feel of her body in your arms on the dance floor and go to sleep with the romance of the night and a hope for more delightful evenings in the future.

I enjoyed the romance.

22 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks Joe,

IMHO the Moody Blues are the greatest rock and roll band of all time. They should have let Ray do more solo's. Interesting fact is that the Moodies only took off after they hired Justin Hayward and John Lodge from the Animals. Justin is the most underrated singer/songwriter from the English invasion, having penned the vast majority of their hits, as well as being the lead vocal in most all of them. The following is an hour long video from 1970, featuring most of the songs  till that time. I love Ray's "Lazy Day" song.

Wyatt

35 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

IMHO the Moody Blues are the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

"Sunday roast is something good to eat.  Must be lamb today because beef was last week."
Maybe not "the greatest" but in the top 5 at least.  The real shame is that with all their good work if you ask anyone about them, about all they can say is "Didn't they do "Nights In White Satin?" which, to me isn't all that great a piece.  Maybe because it is about the only one you hear on radio.  Tuesday Afternoon, Ride My See-Saw, Have You Heard, The Day We Meet Again,   all great pieces of music.

23 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

While it’s one of my all time favotites, I can’t imagine slow dancing to it.

Drinking, yeah. 

I have an album that was issued by WIOO (W-Eye-Oh-Oh) in Carlisle, PA that was a compilation of oldies.  One side was called the "rocking side" and the other was the "Dreamy" side, which probably has all of the classic slow dancing songs you can think of.  I won it in a drawing back around 1975 and I still have it and a turntable to play it on.

5 hours ago, Noz said:

What a great thread!

Brings back evenings with a beautiful girl and enjoying the night, the music and the dance moves.  Sex wasn't so free and easy then as now.

You could go home with the smell of her hair and the feel of her body in your arms on the dance floor and go to sleep with the romance of the night and a hope for more delightful evenings in the future.

I enjoyed the romance.

Kind of strange how things happen.  Sometime yesterday Sawmill Mary and I were talking (I don't remember about what.), and I said, "Can't you stay" .... And it tripped my memory bank and I repeated to the tune of "Stay".  Then I was on a quest to remember the rest of the words.  A search on YouTube came up with what you see in the original post.  I played it on our TV.  Then it got stuck in my head and wouldn't go away.  I started this topic and it set for a couple of hours before getting attention.  Glad to see others who enjoy great music of half a century past. 

Where are the ladies?   They don't have any slow dancing songs they remember? 

25 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

One of my all time very favorite songs.

Good bit of SWAG to it's meaning.

Some think it has to do with a church........:huh:

OLG

Some people think the song "One Toke Over the Line" is a Christian religious song.  :unsure:

1957.  I shot for the moon.  I was the coolest dude in my high school so I asked the most beautiful girl in 2 counties to go to my Senior Prom with me.  She was from a neighboring town and all protocol would say she was off limits to me.  She said yes.  I picked her up in my Fathers 51 Mercury (you know the one with the spare tire on the back bumper and fender skirts). Very cool!

She was wearing a strapless white formal and the standard ladies underwear of the era.  In other words, a stiffness and protection approaching cast iron. I was quite a bit taller than she and her very pointed and very hard breast fit snugly under the end of my breastbone when she laid her cheek on my shoulder.  An absolute vision of loveliness with which I danced every dance all night long.  The next day I had a sizable bruise at the point of impact.  A lot of very close dancing. We had a wonderful evening but I never asked her out again. 

I saw her again at a friends funeral a couple of years ago and 50+ years later she is still beautiful and still remembers that evening.

That's one of the memories that this thread had brought to the surface.

Archived