SASS Wire Forum

Elastic shell loops - SASS legal or not?

Black Angus McPherson

I am under the impression that elastic shell loops are not legal for SASS.  However, in the not so distant past, I have seen two+ shotgun shell belts/slides for sale on the Wire with what looks very much like black elastic loops for the shells.  Also, a number of years back, I saw a shooter at an annual match wearing a black nylon shotshell belt with plastic buckle and elastic loops.  I didn't say anything at the time because he was a club member at a club that had a reputation for ignoring some transgressions of members.

I do not want to look like a jerk by asking the question on someones ad, but, are elastic loops legal or not?  Legal or not, they sure don't look cowboy to me.

Angus

13 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I am under the impression that elastic shell loops are not legal for SASS.  However, in the not so distant past, I have seen two+ shotgun shell belts/slides for sale on the Wire with what looks very much like black elastic loops for the shells.  Also, a number of years back, I saw a shooter at an annual match wearing a black nylon shotshell belt with plastic buckle and elastic loops.  I didn't say anything at the time because he was a club member at a club that had a reputation for ignoring some transgressions of members.

I do not want to look like a jerk by asking the question on someones ad, but, are elastic loops legal or not?  Legal or not, they sure don't look cowboy to me.

Angus

Elastic loops are Legal

hpsg1ref1.jpg

- Cartridge loops must not have a metal or plastic liner. However, the entire loop
may be made of metal.

SHB page 3

Nylon accouterments are not

OUTLAWED ITEMS

Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments.

SHB page 4

I suspect one of those you saw was the one I sold this morning and I would not consider you a jerk if you had asked that on my thread.  Your answer is above and I don't have anything to add.

Sure they are legal.   As are canvas material.    Elastic is powered by rubber, not plastic.

Good luck, GJ

To follow that up here is evidence:

Following is a summary of the 2012 WR TG meeting from PaleWolf.

“TG meeting scheduled for "OUTLAW TRAIL"/Governors Cup match @ Founders Ranch in August 2012.

Updated SHB/RO/WBAS rules are online

Review of ROC report from the TG Summit.

Progress is being made on a "WtC?" section for the SASS website. (WtC is an abbreviation for What is the Call.)

Elastic is an approved material for ammo loops.

SOME styles of Earthwalker BOOTS are "legal" for CC/BW...as long as they comply with category regs.

BW costuming MUST comply with category regs regardless of persona portrayed.

LEAD exposure issue added to the RO1 Instructor version as a discussion item.

Reiterated that the 93/97 model shotgun is NOT "legal" for Action Shooting.

Open Discussion:

Recommended that the Match Directors Guide to Match (STAGE) Design be utilized re: target design & distances.

Proposal to allow Classic CowGIRL competitors to use SMALL-frame .38 revolvers.

Report on UTAH combined BSA/NRA training program for Scouts.”

Thanks, all, for enlightening me.  The "no elastic" thing may have been something I overheard many years ago when I started out in this game.  I could have mis-heard or got it out of context or even heard correctly from a pard that didn't really know what he thought he knew.

I'm glad I asked here instead of jumping in on an ad saying "You can't use that for CAS!"   :blush:

Angus

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Folks,

About the WTC forum, you will notice that it has been removed.

IIUC the problem was finding an appropriate Moderator. I think the desire was someone from the ROC.

Regards,

Allie

7- The SASS Forum titled, "WTC- Whats the Call" will be deleted to be "tabled" until data collection and completion can be completed by the ROC.

Archived