SASS Wire Forum

Cutting Baikal extractors

Boomstick Bruce

So I saw a thread where someone cut the hourglass extractors on their Baikal in half and pinned the top part down for easier reloading. I was looking at mine to do this but there are two springs that push the extractor out on the top half and without those springs, the extractors don't work. 

How are you guys getting the extractors to still work when you cut them?

Mine is a model izh-43e-1c-m

Think you should stop and just figure out how the Baikal works. Then ask again about mods.    I just slimmed the top and do not feel disadvantaged by the hourglass shaped extracter.    GW

Ok, I figured out this much, I open the barrels with the springs in and it pushes the extractors out, if I take the springs out, which are behind the extractors on the part I would be cutting and pinning down, the extractors only come out about 1/16th of an inch. There is no mechanical engagement from the barrel that moves the extractors, just two heavy springs. 

How are people cutting the top off and still having the extractors work?

They are hour glassed in such away to keep both pins. The older models only have one pin. Personally I'd look at having someone do all the work, I have no doubt that your are capable , but there are folks that know these guns in and out. Finding replacement parts would be extremely difficult if something goes wrong. The Baikals are very good, tough guns when set up correctly, but worth nothing if something is broken. I wish you well with the project.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Tully

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question (although I have heard some doosies)   After removing the kickers in the forearm, would it be legal to leave the assist springs located at the top of the extractors?  Mine was done by J Meadows so I am past this already.    JM is very reasonable (IMHO) for the work he does.  If yours is a single trigger, removing the auto safety gets quite involved (welding required)  .  He retimes the hinge so it opens so much farther.     GW

55 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question (although I have heard some doosies)   After removing the kickers in the forearm, would it be legal to leave the assist springs located at the top of the extractors?  Mine was done by J Meadows so I am past this already.    JM is very reasonable (IMHO) for the work he does.  If yours is a single trigger, removing the auto safety gets quite involved (welding required)  .  He retimes the hinge so it opens so much farther.     GW

When I was TG for a couple of clubs someone came to me with just this sort of arrangement. They had installed a spring to assist the extractor in moving the shells. It in no way was strong enough to eject shells, or even have them jump out of the chamber. They merely assisted if the extractor or shells were stuck. Anyway, I put the issue before the PTB and was told that would be considered illegal as a form of ejectors, not extractors. It could have changed by now. I personally saw nothing wrong with it, but told the shooter what they had ruled and said you're on your own if you decide to shoot it. Also told them if I was the TO and they came to the line I would be checking their shotgun each time to be sure that the springs were gone. If the issue was brought to me by another competitor I would have ruled against their use.

3 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

When I was TG for a couple of clubs someone came to me with just this sort of arrangement. They had installed a spring to assist the extractor in moving the shells. It in no way was strong enough to eject shells, or even have them jump out of the chamber. They merely assisted if the extractor or shells were stuck. Anyway, I put the issue before the PTB and was told that would be considered illegal as a form of ejectors, not extractors. It could have changed by now. I personally saw nothing wrong with it, but told the shooter what they had ruled and said you're on your own if you decide to shoot it. Also told them if I was the TO and they came to the line I would be checking their shotgun each time to be sure that the springs were gone. If the issue was brought to me by another competitor I would have ruled against their use.

Mine won't extract without the springs, I just got back from the range and a couple shells stuck until the springs kicked them out, just like the ejectors where still working... Obviously this is a no go.

Is there a way to turn this into mechanical extractors or did I just waste a bunch of money on this shotgun?

1 minute ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Mine won't extract without the springs, I just got back from the range and a couple shells stuck until the spring kicked it out, just like the ejectors will still working... Obviously this is a no go.

Is there a way to turn this into mechanical extractors or did I just waste a bunch of money on this shotgun?

Send it to a gunsmith! Johnny Meadows can make it sing and has very reasonable prices. You've not wasted your money. Alternatively he has one on GunBroker already slicked up and ready to go and he is also very fair with trades.

Or if all else fails sell it here and go buy one ready to go.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Send it to a gunsmith! Johnny Meadows can make it sing and has very reasonable prices. You've not wasted your money. Alternatively he has one on GunBroker already slicked up and ready to go and he is also very fair with trades.

Or if all else fails sell it here and go buy one ready to go.

^^^^  This .......

What Mr. Tyrel said. It will be the best money you ever spent. Once you have one set up correctly, you can then buy another, take the set up one apart and then see how to tune the new one.

5 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Mine won't extract without the springs, I just got back from the range and a couple shells stuck until the springs kicked them out, just like the ejectors where still working... Obviously this is a no go.

Contact Texas Gunslinger at Gunslinger Sporting Goods in Red Oak TX Phone: (972) 617-6511

He has set up two Baikals for me and both work flawlessly.

Nate Kiowa Jones did mine and it works well.

The "auto selective ejectors" on that model are whats causing you problems.....the plain ol' "43" uses a simple bar and rod.
You may need to get something welded/fabricated in to bypass that spring situation
The Baikals you are looking at/ wanting to perform that mod on, are the regular 43 models..not the split extractor models

13 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

The "auto selective ejectors" on that model are whats causing you problems.....the plain ol' "43" uses a simple bar and rod.
You may need to get something welded/fabricated in to bypass that spring situation
The Baikals you are looking at/ wanting to perform that mod on, are the regular 43 models..not the split extractor models

Thanks, I was starting to think something like that was the problem. 

Do you have one of the "other" Baikals? If so can you post pics of the extractor and the lug on the gun that connects with it so I can get an idea of what I need to fabricate? I have an idea on what needs to be done, I just want to see how the Russians did it. 

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Thanks, I was starting to think something like that was the problem. 

Do you have one of the "other" Baikals? If so can you post pics of the extractor and the lug on the gun that connects with it so I can get an idea of what I need to fabricate? I have an idea on what needs to be done, I just want to see how the Russians did it. 

I shot with a knowledgeable gunsmith today at a match and asked about how to modify your model of Baikal. Short answer is you have to rework and weld and then refit the ejector assemblies to turn them into extractors. It is not a straight forward process that can be described here.

I know you are a DIY kind of person and want to do this yourself (I am as well) but this is one of those times where paying a smith to apply his knowledge is money well spent and will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Examining one of the other Baikals  that come as extractor only probably won't help

2 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

I agree with Sedalia, but heres pics anyway...the "lug" painted white, pushes the rod when opening which opens the extractor

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

That's exactly what i thought! My lug needs to be lengthened and the extractor needs to be shortened. Time to get the welder out! Thanks!!!

So, I got out the trusty harbor freight buzz box, my bench grinder, Dremel tool and got to work. I filled in a large gap between these two lugs on the extractors with weld, ground it back and test fitted the now one piece extractor. It actually worked on the first try! But not as well as I was looking for so I got the welder back out and laid more weld in the gap, ground it back and it works perfect!!!! Opens and extracts fully with no springs and closes way easier!!! Took all of about an hour!!! Going to the range tomorrow to put her through her paces! 

IMG_20190106_225939.jpg

IMG_20190106_225945.jpg

IMG_20190106_230040.jpg

IMG_20190106_230206.jpg

IMG_20190106_230236.jpg

Archived