SASS Wire Forum

Barrel length for pistol and ATF

Trigger Mike

I received an email from Cimarron and it mentioned the 380 revolver they had announced last year had finally been approved by the ATF after they changed the barrel from 3 inches to 6 inches.  I guess I don't understand what difference it makes, especially since you can legally cut the barrel to 3 inches on a pistol.   

8 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I received an email from Cimarron and it mentioned the 380 revolver they had announced last year had finally been approved by the ATF after they changed the barrel from 3 inches to 6 inches.  I guess I don't understand what difference it makes, especially since you can legally cut the barrel to 3 inches on a pistol.   

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/import-firearms-ammunition-and-defense-articles

Remember: the barrel and overall length are not the only criteria used to determine the import status of the firearms.  To meet the sporting criteria and qualify for importation under the law at section 925(d)(3): (1) rifles must meet requirements outlined in the 1989 and 1998 import studies; (2) shotguns must meet the criteria outlined in the 2012 Importability of Certain Shotguns Study; (3) pistols must have an overall length of 6 inches and achieve a minimum score of 75 points on ATF F 5330.5, Factoring Criteria for Weapons, and revolvers must have a minimum barrel length of 3 inches or more, pass the hammer drop safety test and achieve a minimum score of 45 points on ATF F 5330.5, Factoring Criteria for Weapons.

Don't forget that GCA '68 was largely intended to end imports of so-called "Saturday Night Specials", which were at the top of the antis' hit list at first. Because of the criteria they used a lot of really nice small handguns could no longer be imported, like the Browning Baby .25 (an example of which I still plan to get one of these days).

Archived