SASS Wire Forum

Do Rossi 92’s 357/38 in 16 inch hold 10?

El Catorce

As you might’a guessed... I’m new to shooting CAS... working on gearing up and I’m considering  the  Rossi 92 due to budget.... liking the idea of getting as short a rifle as possible and wondering if a 16 inch Rossi R92 will hold 10 rounds....would I need to clip the magazine spring?

Thanks for the info... was hoping the 8 were 357’s ... woulda meant nine 38’s and if there was a mod to the magazine spring (clipping it some) that I’d manage 10... I’ll stick to the 20

If you are concerned about the weight the stainless steel 92s are a little lighter than the blued ones for the same barrel length.

If I were you I would either buy one already tuned from Steve's Gunz or if you are mechanically inclined  you can do the mods your self.

To do the mods yourself, buy the video, stainless steel magazine follower and ejector spring from Steve's Gunz

Where are you located? I know that you want to get your gear, and I do understand shooting on a budget,but the best thing to do is visit a shoot and talk to people and try their stuff before you buy anything.

3 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Where are you located? I know that you want to get your gear, and I do understand shooting on a budget,but the best thing to do is visit a shoot and talk to people and try their stuff before you buy anything.

THIS

Many moons ago I wanted to shoot my big loop Rossi 92 as a main match rifle in the worst way. I spent a lot of time and energy even incorporating a hollow mag plug in combo with a specific trapper mag spring that collapsed inside itself..........get a 20"er or get used to lots of on the clock reload practice. 

I’m in the deepest part of south Texas I’ve been to a couple of monthly meets with the Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros... Dream Chaser let me shoot her gear... don’t think it was a 92... probably a 94. Hidalgo also let me try his frontier cartridges... I hate to admit it but I liked his 38-40’s (if I remember correctly) in black powder...different kind of experience shooting bp... I’m have a great time just researching and learning... great stuff on these boards and on YouTube .... I almost feel I’ve gone down a rabbit hole... so much to learn about and try.. and not just about the firearms... history, reloading, leatherwork, outfits...there I go down the rabbit hole again! 

23 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

THIS

And THIS again.  I bought a Rossi 92 essentially on impulse for SASS.  Found out while it's a fine firearm it was not for me,  too light  I learned I did not like the action. 

Sold it a month later.

Take your time,  shoot whatever is offered to you to get a feel of what works.  Then open your billfold.

Sheriff Langston.

41 minutes ago, Newt Tashootin said:

I’m in the deepest part of south Texas I’ve been to a couple of monthly meets with the Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros... Dream Chaser let me shoot her gear... don’t think it was a 92... probably a 94. Hidalgo also let me try his frontier cartridges... I hate to admit it but I liked his 38-40’s (if I remember correctly) in black powder...different kind of experience shooting bp... I’m have a great time just researching and learning... great stuff on these boards and on YouTube .... I almost feel I’ve gone down a rabbit hole... so much to learn about and try.. and not just about the firearms... history, reloading, leatherwork, outfits...there I go down the rabbit hole again! 

38 special is a great round for BP as are 38-40 and 44-40. You can even shoot .45 Colt in BP but is tends to make the action really dirty as the cases don't seal the chamber as well as the other calibers.

I shoot Frontier Cartridge Duellist about 3/4 of the year and Duellist the rest of the time.  If you like shooting BP or BP subs there is no reason you can't start out that way. I shoot Ruger Vaqueros, an 1887 Shotgun and a Rossi 92 when I am shooting BP. Change out the Rugers for 1875 Remington Outlaws when shooting smokeless.

I am also playing around with C&B revolvers. I have a pair of 1860s and a pair of 1858s in .44. I also have a pair of 1858's in 36 that I will be selling soon.

Nate Kiowa Jones AKA Steve Young is located about 6 hours up the road in Lampasas and is the Rossi 92 guru.

Try all the gear you can, ask lots and lots of questions and welcome to SASS.

NT, I too started with a '92 Winchester but too found I didn't like action.  I kept the rifle and now use it for long range side matches.  I now shoot 1894 Marlins and a 1873 Winchester in main matches.  I prefer the actions on these rifles.  Try more rifles before you settle on a model.  Regarding cartridges, once-fired 38-40 cases are very hard to find so expect to buy new cases for about a quarter each.  You will loose some from your rifle most matches and all your rifle cases at a lost brass match.  Once-fired 38 Special cases are easy to buy and sell for a nickel or less a piece.  I don't care at all how many 38 Special cases I lose at a lost brass match.  If you decide to shoot classic cowboy, 38-40 is a good caliber.  Otherwise take a serious look at 38 Specials.  Regarding black powder (which I shoot) I don't recommend you start with it.  It is harder to keep guns running reliably in a match when shooting black powder or a sub and you need to learn how to manage the smoke cloud between you and the targets.  Learn the game before you introduce new challenges.  Further, you will need to buy shotgun reloading equipment to produce black powder shotgun shells economically.  (Smokeless shooters can buy suitable commercial shotguns shells at reasonable prices.) 

Slow down, borrow guns and work on your costume for awhile.  Show up to matches with three, fifty-round boxes of lead 38 Specials and a box of twenty-five low recoil, 12 guage shotgun shells (all commercial - no reloads) and shoot every firearm offered you.  You will develop preferences. 

My Rossi 38/357 trapper holds 9 38 specials. It is a beat up old pre safety model and I love it. Based on that I bought a newer 20" 45 Colt model  and I am less then enchanted. I have already purchased an 1873 to replace it. I will keep it as a back-up but I wish I had listened to the "try before you buy" advice.

On 1/3/2019 at 5:43 PM, Newt Tashootin said:

Exactly.

I started this game 33 years ago...  Showed up at my first match with a mdl 94 Winchester in .30-30, but they'd changed the rules a couple months before and outlawed rifle cartridges for the main match.  Another shooter loaned me a spare mdl 92 for the match... the next month I bought one, and promptly started slickin' it up.  The '92 was in .38/.357 and my revolver was in .45 Colt.  .38s went pfft-tink, and the .45s went BANG-CLANG.  I just thought that was wrong.  and when a good new best friend wanted to sell his 1873 in .45 Colt (one of the 1st imported into the US), I ran down that rabbit hole.  I was shooting BP with 1851 .36 cap n' ball revolvers and lovin' it!   I'm still shooting that 1873 from time to time, and it's been joined by another '73 and 1860 Henry, another Rossi in .38 and one .45 Colt.  They are all rather easily worked on, if you have some mechanical aptitude.

Have no fear, there've been many others that have dove down this rabbit hole before you... and most will try to advise you correctly on what pitfalls to avoid.  

6 hours ago, Griff said:

Exactly.

I started this game 33 years ago...  Showed up at my first match with a mdl 94 Winchester in .30-30, but they'd changed the rules a couple months before and outlawed rifle cartridges for the main match.  Another shooter loaned me a spare mdl 92 for the match... the next month I bought one, and promptly started slickin' it up.  The '92 was in .38/.357 and my revolver was in .45 Colt.  .38s went pfft-tink, and the .45s went BANG-CLANG.  I just thought that was wrong.  and when a good new best friend wanted to sell his 1873 in .45 Colt (one of the 1st imported into the US), I ran down that rabbit hole.  I was shooting BP with 1851 .36 cap n' ball revolvers and lovin' it!   I'm still shooting that 1873 from time to time, and it's been joined by another '73 and 1860 Henry, another Rossi in .38 and one .45 Colt.  They are all rather easily worked on, if you have some mechanical aptitude.

Have no fear, there've been many others that have dove down this rabbit hole before you... and most will try to advise you correctly on what pitfalls to avoid.  

Thanks for the feedback! 

Cowboy-action is a journey, not a destination.  You can start with any sass-legal guns.  Some will opt to go for speed and will shoot only tuned 1873 carbines, slicked Ruger Vaqs and SKB doubles.  Others may opt to shoot in categories where winners are in the mid 20-second stages.  Others will shoot as best that they can with the equipment they have, to have fun.  You do not have to shoot sub-17 stages to become a better shooter and enjoy the game and people.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:13 PM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

+1

Currently I'm running a stainless Rossi 92 20" saddle ring carbine in 45 Colt and I have a blued Rossi 92 20" saddle ring carbine in 45 Colt. 

I love the 92, it's light, strong and reliable. To me the 73 vs 92 thing is like the ak vs ar thing, one is know for being reliable, one isn't... I don't carry a screw knife because I don't need to, same reason the ak doesn't have a forward assist... But, IF I ever get good enough that I outrun my 92s, then I'll get a '73...

Howdy,

Most trappers are right at 16 inch.

Its too bad they pick 16 because its the shortest legal length.

Now IF you can load 38 a little short and IF your particular Rossi will

run those short rounds, you CAN get ten rounds in the magazine.

The trick is they may not RUN thru the action as most are made to

run the longer 357s. And NOT extra short rounds.

Many rossi 357s can load 9 not ten std 38 rounds.

Then the tenth round can be loaded on the clock.

Believe me no beginner ever lost first place due to this.

Im not sure why you want a trapper.

What most want is a rock solid reliable rifle that never ever jams.

The rifle is the most complicated piece of equipment for CAS 

and I bet some shooters would do ANYTHING to make their

rifle more foolproof.

Best

CR

10 rounds in a 16”

It can be done, but running it fast usually doesn't work well.

The original pistol cal leverguns we use were designed to work with bottleneck ammo in the 1.5" to 1.6" OAL using a round nose flat point lead bullet. What that means is they may not work well with really long  or really short ammo. 

Ten rounds of 1.5" ammo is 15" in a 16" tube. That only leaves 1" for the mag spring, follower and cap. You can make shorter ammo but, the problem with the shorter ammo in a 92 is the gun will throw out live rounds with the empty's. Or, stovepipe them. This is because the shorter ammo coming on to the carrier from the tube can bounce forward enough so now the rim is too close to the rim slots in the guides and when you lever it fast the carrier just catapults them up and out with the empty.

Archived