SASS Wire Forum

SASS HQ - Snow and Ice Closure in effect

Misty Moonshine

Happy 2019! 

Unfortunately, SASS HQ will remain closed until Monday, January 7th. We are simply unable to reach the office to open. Edgewood has received 39” of snow in total, and Cowboy Way has still not been plowed. The road crews have been overwhelmed trying to get/keep the main roads clear and our road (single business, dead end) is simply not a priority... understandably so. 

Moreover, yesterday’s sunshine on top of the efforts of road crews after a -5 degree overnight- has turned the region into a huge ice rink.

I dug my way out yesterday to check on Cowboy Way and was unable to get to it directly thanks to a plow that left a veritable wall of snow right at our road... so I hopped on the interstate to check it out from the highway... as you can see- it hasn’t been touched!

The safety of our staff is paramount; we thank you for your patience and understanding! 

Founders Ranch, too- is in a state of frozen lock down. Our crews have finally made it back to the property today to attempt to begin the monumental task of digging out. Tractors, trucks, chains, and plows have proven only to also land in ditches so far! 

Word on the street is that these back to back storms are borderline historic- with many saying they haven’t seen snow like this here in over 20 years.

Personally.... this summer girl has a raging case of cabin fever! I’ve included some pictures I’ve taken over the last few days. 

Stay safe,

Misty Moonshine

05CE9854-D34B-44DE-95CD-254DCAF597D8.jpeg

7CEF2FB8-9520-415D-92A2-30CCFF6D4524.jpeg

6A55D107-51E6-47AD-A83E-D2BE2543A159.jpeg

44E96DBE-53DC-48FA-B58B-F2E96DB5257B.jpeg

5D99628C-09A7-41C2-A5F6-34D7E5242CFA.jpeg

FCFCF0EA-ACA7-4BD6-9D89-45BD74D78C0D.jpeg

C2C4408C-323D-4231-BCC6-FBB966ED8256.jpeg

A3FF8EB9-70DB-4C23-9244-6ED4F779B64B.jpeg

461C674E-8824-441E-8F86-31A7BA3B0657.jpeg

A36E7C9C-6528-4DCF-8666-52D398C514CC.jpeg

EB2942DA-44A9-4946-B253-B4A8DB067FFB.jpeg

278707A6-6373-4A1D-9DFF-298A833CAC79.jpeg

ED7B32FF-D279-45A5-AF78-9E4215DF92C6.jpeg

42F3FBEB-CE45-4F9D-9E34-EDA98D8B6241.jpeg

Looks like you made the right decision. WOW!!!!

Now is a time to crank out a year's worth of CAS ammo using your progressive reloader.  When that snow melts it will be a welcome addition to the aquifer in the East Mountains.

Do the longhorn cattle on the ranch do alright in this much snow?

Up here in the Four Corners we haven't had this much snow in years & its only 3-4"

Durango just north of us has about 3'

Largo

Will extension be made on 8th renewal offer?

Enjoy the snow.  Snow ice cream sounds good.

20 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Wild Shot has heroically made it to the ranch to feed the cattle and break up their water tank throughout this nightmare... he is a warrior! 

They fare well- they move up into the trees and hunker down for the most part.

Well, at least you got the garage door open! Even if you can't go anyplace.  Back in '03, I had bought a brandnew Ford Expedition with 4-wheel drive.  In March of that year, Denver had a 3-foot snow storm (as measured in the un-drifted back patio).  Problem was, the snow had drifted up against my garage door...and I couldn't get it open! :o :P  Took three or four days to get the roads plowed out and the driveway blown clear.

Day before yesterday, we got about 3", the first measureable snow since 14 October! Forecast for tomorrow? High 60!  Sold the Expedition to my nextdoor neighbor a year ago, when I bought my Ford Flex (easier to get into for us ancient types!  All wheel drive is nice when we get some snow, warm temps and freezing at night into the next day!

Good luck digging out.  Hope all that water doesn't cause flooding when it melts!

I know yule think I'm nuts, but I love those kind of snows,,,

On 1/3/2019 at 10:24 AM, Yul Lose said:

They do just fine, you find tracks all over the place.  Forage is a bit thin so we feed them (don't get between them and the alfalfa!)  They find where the snow is thin or melting (on top of the shooting berms, where they never go when folks are using the range) to get some vegetation.  Yesterday Wildshot saw one eating a tumbleweed.

The snow is pretty bad.  I've lived up here since '95 and it hasn't done something like this in almost 20 years. (Snow was lighter 20 years ago, I remember is distinctly)  We've been clearing as best we can.  The clays range parking lot is cleared about halfway, and the office and 5-stand is going to be open tomorrow.  A relatively new member of the SASS staff, Murray, is bringing his Bobcat in tomorrow to assist.  

While plowing today I saw a jackrabbit cruising through knee deep snow, a head and ears, but motoring pretty good.  The pair of ravens that live here sat in a tree near the clays office and ran through their vocabulary all day.

Take care Yul.

I spent one winter at the tip of the Michigan lower peninsula, in Cheboygan.  Winter came to Cheboygan in September, and there was still snow on the ground when I left for Missouri the following May.

I was born and raised in southern Colorado.  So I have seen both extremes.  My advice to my New Mexico compadres is, enjoy the snow while you have it.  It will be gone in a few days!  ;)

6 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

My advice to my New Mexico compadres is, enjoy the snow while you have it.  It will be gone in a few days!  ;)

Had a big one in 2016 just after Christmas that left drifts in my woods that were still there in April.  So the prognosis now is two weeks of questionable cross country skiing, followed by mud.

1 minute ago, Shotgun Clay said:

Had a big one in 2016 just after Christmas that left drifts in my woods that were still there in April.  So the prognosis now is two weeks of questionable cross country skiing, followed by mud.

Undoubtedly mud sucks, but is preferable to ice!!  :D

3 hours ago, Shotgun Clay said:

They do just fine, you find tracks all over the place.  Forage is a bit thin so we feed them (don't get between them and the alfalfa!)  They find where the snow is thin or melting (on top of the shooting berms, where they never go when folks are using the range) to get some vegetation.  Yesterday Wildshot saw one eating a tumbleweed.

The snow is pretty bad.  I've lived up here since '95 and it hasn't done something like this in almost 20 years. (Snow was lighter 20 years ago, I remember is distinctly)  We've been clearing as best we can.  The clays range parking lot is cleared about halfway, and the office and 5-stand is going to be open tomorrow.  A relatively new member of the SASS staff, Murray, is bringing his Bobcat in tomorrow to assist.  

While plowing today I saw a jackrabbit cruising through knee deep snow, a head and ears, but motoring pretty good.  The pair of ravens that live here sat in a tree near the clays office and ran through their vocabulary all day.

Take care Yul.

SGC, my friend, just get it all gone by June. Look forward to visiting with you folks.

20 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

SGC, my friend, just get it all gone by June. Look forward to visiting with you folks.

The digging out proceeds!  Murray got a complete pass on the main road from the gate down to town.  I finished the Clays parking area and cleared around the bird (target) shed... we're getting a semi load of targets on the 14th.  Wildshot and Jack Diamond were locked in mortal combat with the tractor's wiring harness, but have a handle on it now. (we have a lot of clever cowboys out here) 

Had 4 shooters show up to shoot 5 stand, all regulars, and Mrs. Slickshot helped them out.  An Albuquerque Police Officer who's a regular at the rifle and pistol range came out, not realizing it was closed.  Offered to loan him a shotgun but he didn't take us up on it.  Offered him an extra snow shovel and he remembered pressing business elsewhere. ;)

I'm going to save you some snow Yul.  You can put it in a gin and tonic at EOT.

Clay

Those pictures sure don't look like the Edgewood I remember !!

Stay safe and keep shoveling is all I can tell you.

Up here in Steamboat we really like that much snow ---for ya'll  probably not so much.

Need to renew my SASS membership.

Oh the HUMANITY!

Oh wait, you said you'd be open Monday?

Ok, I'm good. Talk Monday.

Waimea

Hopefully it will all melt pretty soon !

When we get that  much snow in the mountains above Steamboat Springs we call it .............  wait  , wait ,         Tuesday !

With more solid sunshine coming on Friday !!

Roof Shoveling.jpg

15 hours ago, X Mark said:

Those pictures sure don't look like the Edgewood I remember !!

Stay safe and keep shoveling is all I can tell you.

Up here in Steamboat we really like that much snow ---for ya'll  probably not so much.

Edgewood gets about 17 inches of moisture a year but is in a drought.  This snow when melted represents a good fraction of annual moisture.  The snow is a temporary problem but is a blessing for those whose wells might otherwise run dry.  Locals are not complaining about the snow.

Archived