SASS Wire Forum

Taylor's, Cimmaron, EMF, Pietta, Uberti customer service

Cibola Al

I've done some searching but I can't really find anything current. Sounds like Italian import firearms tend to be hit or miss quality wise. Understanding that going into the purchase it boils down to who best deals with any issues. As of last year there was a lot of praise for Taylor's and Co's customer service, less so for Cimmaron and Uberti (I understand the Taylor's and Cimmaron are selling Ubertis and Piettas under their company name).

I emailed Taylor's and Co about a week ago simply asking if I had a problem with a gun imported by them whether or not I would have to pay return shipping for service (which really irritates me by the way) I haven't heard back. 

Without stirring too much of a ruckus, I was hoping some of you could chime in with your favorite stories of excellent customer service.

I have a Taylor's Smoke Wagon Deluxe that shot 10" to the left at 10 steps.  Taylor's sent me a shipping label and packing instructions to send it back.   It took about a month for it to return but it came straight back to me.  I didn't have to pay shipping or get an FFL guy to ship and recieve back.  

I've purchased two sets of Taylor's Running Irons.  The first set was Taylor "Tuned."  I found paying the extra was a waste of money.  I had to send back one of the first pair.  Taylor's customer service was excellent.  They emailed me a shipping label.   I was even able to talk to the gunsmith doing the repairs on two occasions to discuss the situation.  He was receptive to talking with me about the issue (part of which was specific to the short stroke on the Running Iron).  I was satisfied enough that I purchased a second set through them (Actually ordered both sets through my local gun shop which saved me a considerable amount of money).  Just my .02.  

Don't overlook E.M.F. Their's are made by Piettas and I personally prefer those to Uberti's. 

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1873-Great-Western-II-Revolvers-c64.htm

The Californians are pretty slick right out of the box and very reasonable priced.

That's what I hoped to hear. I don't blame the companies for getting a lemon from Uberti, I just would prefer not to have to pay for the pleasure of having a new gun fixed. Sounds like Taylor's is the top choice.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Don't overlook E.M.F. Their's are made by Piettas and I personally prefer those to Uberti's. 

The Californians are pretty slick right out of the box and very reasonable priced.

I've been hearing great things about the newer Piettas, I just have it in me to get a couple of Remington 1875 repros. Unless I am mistaken, they are Uberti only

2 minutes ago, Cibola Al said:

I've been hearing great things about the newer Piettas, I just have it in me to get a couple of Remington 1875 repros. Unless I am mistaken, they are Uberti only

If you're talking about factory conversions, yes as far as I know Uberti is the only company doing those.

Have you shot the 1875's? If not I highly recommend it before buying a pair. 

8 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Have you shot the 1875's? If not I highly recommend it before buying a pair. 

Sent you a PM

About a year ago was in a firearm store in western Iowa who’s bulk of business is ruger.  The person behind the counter told me in conversation that they had been sending a lot of their Cimarron product back as many problems found by them or customers.  I didn’t listen and bought a pair of eliminators from Cimarron...basically piety’s frontiers short stroked and tuned.  Well one had 3 clicks, one had 4.  One had a locked cylinder and some scratches on it as well.  How in the world can you make a “hand tuned” revolver that doesn’t even function and pass it on at a premium as “hand tuned”?  They did send me a prepaid shipping label after I emailed, and they did correspond with me slowly  as it was about this time.  After a few weeks or so I got them back and all was well, they did take care of it but again still irks me that someone knowingly put that non working revolver in a box and sent it on its way.

i have an Uberti El Patron....zero problems.  I have lots of rugers....one broken sight and they sent me a prepaid ship label and had it back quick.  Sent me rings for free on a couple big bore revolvers when I wanted a 30mm ultradot.  Love their prompt service.

9 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

EMF are great folks to deal with as well.

There are several things I see in the one Pietta center fire pistol I have that I don't see in a Uberti.

1036252639_PiettaEleminatorhandandhammerAug2018.jpg.86c73b77daa06b5c7947ac1ab70d870f.jpg

It has a replaceable cam on the hammer like a Colt.  Uberti's cam is built into the hammer.  If it wears out, it's an expensive repair.

2025745250_PiettaEleminatorfiringpinbushingAug2018.jpg.841b2d2d352e2dfbcf28ce908f7fd6d8.jpg

It has a replaceable bushing around the firing pin hole like a Colt.  Uberti does not have a bushing.  If the firing pin hole is enlarged or damaged, it's an expensive repair. 

4 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

EMF are great folks to deal with as well.

Every had to deal with their CS? How'd it go? I do like the look of some of their Pietta pistolas.

2 minutes ago, Cibola Al said:

Every had to deal with their CS? How'd it go? I do like the look of some of their Pietta pistolas.

I've not had any problems with their guns. They do respond pretty quick to emails and are very friendly on the phone. They've fixed me up twice with consecutive numbers. They offer a a SASS discount as well. 

Howdy

I have had very good customer service from Taylors in the past.

I highly recommend them.

Rather than sending an email you might try the old fashioned approach of picking up the phone and talking to them in person.

50 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Rather than sending an email you might try the old fashioned approach of picking up the phone and talking to them in person.

We have had the outstanding experience when we have called Taylor's to actually get a person answer the phone.  And the best part it has always been one of the principal people who can actually answer your question and take your order or take care of your problem. 

1 hour ago, Cibola Al said:

Yes, the young lady who answers the phone is pleasant and very knowledgeable.

1 hour ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

If you get a moment turn Google Earth to Fence Lake NM. I have neither phone lines nor cell service where I live. If it wasn't for satellite internet, I might as well be on the moon. Sometimes I envy the ability to just pick up a phone. Not enough to move though  :)

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

We have had the outstanding experience when we have called Taylor's to actually get a person answer the phone.  And the best part it has always been one of the principal people who can actually answer your question and take your order or take care of your problem. 

If I ever had an issue, I would drive to a neighbor who has a phone or the 30 minutes to a reliable cell signal. I was just doing some fact finding. I wasn't bad mouthing Taylor's, just explaining why I asked the question here. 

I've never dealt with EMF. Of the other two you listed I would choose Taylor's every time. 

As for getting email replies during Christmas and New Year's, it doesn't surprise me you haven't heard back. Not sure if they closed down for the entire holiday period or not. 

If you buy based on customer service provided by the distributor or manufacturer, I'd rank cowboy revolver distributor sources about like:

Ruger - essentially their several domestic distributors channel guns to retail shops, but service gets done through Ruger

Taylors - importer, gun never ships back to Italy for work but gets fixed in US by Taylor's choice of smiths

EMF - importer, gun never ships back to Italy for work

Cimarron - importer, gun never ships back to Italy for work

Navy Arms - importer, gun never ships back to Italy for work

If you realize that most of our Italian made guns are "parts kits already assembled", and that a thinking man will send the first set he buys to a good cowboy gunsmith, or buy through a good gunsmith, you will be better served.   Buying most cowboy guns is NOT like buying cars, where your customer service from the seller may mean real differences in your final satisfaction.   Getting good tuning work on most of the cowboy guns is just about required for most shooters to be satisfied, because little hand work is being done anymore, and the designs were laid down when hand work was the only way most guns got finished.

So, for your location in the back-of-beyond of NM, and having a strong preference for Italian made guns, I'd suggest you figure out what guns you feel comfortable with, and, just to name one great source, buy through Longhunter Shooting Supply a pair of guns already gunsmithed.  Jared is in Amarillo TX.  From your location, you don't want to be buying new, shipping them to your local FFL, then shipping them to a smith when you find them needing work, then shipping them back to yourself.   You'll get great service, great follow-up customer service if you ever need it (probably won't) and you won't have to guess if you'll be satisfied.  You will.   And if you want another close suggestion - try El Mulo Vaquero out of Farmington, NM

Now, if you are already a quality gunsmith and you know how to do cowboy guns to run to your satisfaction and you have the time and machines to do the work, forget all I just said. 

Good luck, GJ

19 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If you buy based on customer service, I'd rank cowboy revolver distributor sources about like:

Ruger - essentially their several domestic distributors channel guns to retail shops, but service gets done through Ruger

Taylors - importer

EMF - importer

Cimarron - importer

Navy Arms - importer

If you realize that most of our Italian made guns are "parts kits already assembled", and that a thinking man will send the first set he buys to a good cowboy gunsmith, or buy through a good gunsmith, you will be better served.   Buying most cowboy guns is NOT like buying cars, where your customer service from the seller may mean real differences in your final satisfaction.   Getting good tuning work on most of the cowboy guns is just about required for most shooters to be satisfied, because little hand work is being done anymore, and the designs were laid down when hand work was the only way most guns got finished.

So, for your location in the back-of-beyond of NM, and having a strong preference for Italian made guns, I'd suggest you figure out what guns you feel comfortable with, and, just to name one great source, buy through Longhunter Shooting Supply a pair of guns already gunsmithed.  Jared is in Amarillo TX.  From your location, you don't want to be buying new, shipping them to your local FFL, then shipping them to a smith when you find them needing work, then shipping them back to yourself.   You'll get great service, great follow-up customer service if you ever need it (probably won't) and you won't have to guess if you'll be satisfied.  You will.   And if you want another close suggestion - try El Mulo Vaquero out of Farmington, NM

Now, if you are already a quality gunsmith and you know how to do cowboy guns to run to your satisfaction and you have the time and machines to do the work, forget all I just said. 

Good luck, GJ

Good Advice GJ. I hope to see you at one of the Rio Grande Renegades shoots someday. 

I think the best answer here is "I don't know because I haven't needed customer service.".

I've bought two new Uberti's in the last 5 months, both from DGW, and they've been flawless after a few hundred rounds.

Cholla

Hi All,

EMF’s mission is to provide quality firearms at affordable prices.  The keystone of EMF’s "Cowboy Way” is to provide friendly, personal customer service; and, to stand behind its products.  

At EMF, this is not just a mission statement, it is the way we do business.  During business hours, we answer the phones personally.  All firearms are inspected before they are sold.  Charlie is our on-site gunsmith; and, we are the authorized repair center for Pietta Firearms.  Please check us out!  https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/About-Us-d1.htm

Happy New Year!

California Deb

6 hours ago, California Deb, SASS #38767 said:

Hi All,

EMF’s mission is to provide quality firearms at affordable prices.  The keystone of EMF’s "Cowboy Way” is to provide friendly, personal customer service; and, to stand behind its products.  

At EMF, this is not just a mission statement, it is the way we do business.  During business hours, we answer the phones personally.  All firearms are inspected before they are sold.  Charlie is our on-site gunsmith; and, we are the authorized repair center for Pietta Firearms.  Please check us out!  https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/About-Us-d1.htm

Happy New Year!

California Deb

Nice of you to chime in! I see a pair of 45 Alchimista III DLX with 7.5" barrels somewhere down the road.

1 minute ago, California Deb, SASS #38767 said:

Just sent you an email, but I'll ask here too. Any chance you could get Charlie to fit a pair of the lowered Alchimista hammers onto the Californian revolvers?

18 hours ago, Cibola Al said:

Good Advice GJ. I hope to see you at one of the Rio Grande Renegades shoots someday. 

The Renegades will host the state match this year.  Hope to see you there.  

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Just sent you an email, but I'll ask here too. Any chance you could get Charlie to fit a pair of the lowered Alchimista hammers onto the Californian revolvers?

Yes, he is able to do that, if they are guns in our inventory.  Meaning, if you are buying Californians, and you would like the hammers changed out, we will keep the original hammers and charge a price difference for the Alchimista hammers, plus his labor.  We do not take customer's guns in to change out existing hammers though.  He cannot change out the Colt-style trigger to an Alchimista trigger (wider, set-back) on the "Californian".

1 minute ago, California Deb, SASS #38767 said:

Yes, he is able to do that, if they are guns in our inventory.  Meaning, if you are buying Californians, and you would like the hammers changed out, we will keep the original hammers and charge a price difference for the Alchimista hammers, plus his labor.  We do not take customer's guns in to change out existing hammers though.  He cannot change out the Colt-style trigger to an Alchimista trigger (wider, set-back) on the "Californian".

Yes, that is what I mean, I'd be buying a pair of Californians in .44-40 from you.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack Cibola Al.

Archived